Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

blue squares posted:

Is developing your own film at home hard? Is it really error-prone, easy to gently caress up your prints?

I will only speak to bw film because I will never dev my own colour.

It's very easy! I do it in my kitchen. But can be complicated because of how many options and combination you can choose from.
I made it very simple for myself - only 1 developer. I don't care to experiment with any other process because what I have works very well for me and I get the results that I want.
I will be switching to a new developer when I run out of this one.

The learning curve is honestly not big at all. I only messed up 1 roll. My first few came out perfect.

I'd say, before you dive into developing at home, buy a roll of 35mm (i love tmax, hate how expensive it is, hp5 is a good trix alternative).
Then try to scan at home, and see how annoying it is. Scanning is super annoying.
If you love the results enough and don't mind the scanning/processing workflow, you could get the items you need to dev at home.

e: I'm scanning film right now I developed last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

blue squares posted:

Why is scanning so unenjoyable?

cutting the film, then putting it on the holder, blowing it to de-dust it, putting it in the scanner, dusting again, preview, re-align if needed, select frame, scan, slow. Move onto next frame - preview, scan, slow. Repeat.

I used to have to de-dust all scans in LR when I had them devved at a lab but since I switched to developing at home, I have barely any dust that end up in the final scan.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

My 2 reel tank says 500ml but I always put 600ml.
Once I had bubble shadows show up on my negs which was due to lowered volume in the tank because of a leak I assume. Switched to 600 and I've never had that issue before.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Father O'Blivion posted:

From the same roll a ~12x enlargement onto 3.5x5" paper.

echoing megabound, this is great, lovely texture as he said too.
would like it as a small print!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A Konica Hexar AF is fairly affordable (700-900cad)

I have one and use it and love it, but you gotta be really okay with its limitations - 1/250th top speed, annoying button layout (if you constantly fiddle with settings this cam will be annoying to use).

The pros are a great lens and lightning fast AF.