Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

buglord posted:

With the help of Mark Bittman’s How to Cock Everything,

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
That aside, that was the book I started out with a few years ago when I also had an opportunity to just cook whatever I wanted for myself.

Cooking is one of the few things where I'm not going to care if I vanish down a rabbit hole and I'll drive a half hour one way if it means I can find a couple ingredients I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

It's a massive fuckin tome but The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt was a huge, huge help in making sure I sort of got my poo poo straight in my kitchen. He's pretty science-forward and puts some common kitchen knowledge to the test (does heating butter in oil prevent it from burning as quickly? should you let meat come to room temp before cooking?) but one of the best bits of the book is at the start - practically a whole chapter of important kitchen implements, common food items, spices, shelf stable stuff, etc etc.

I refer back to it a lot and I'm always kind of surprised when I have some weird food question and it turns out there's an answer in there.

Anyway, highly recommend that.

Also, buy and use Diamond Crystal kosher salt.

Also also, get a Food Saver or some other type of vacuum-seal food bag system so that you can cook and freeze leftovers you aren't gonna get to, or that you're getting sick of eating. I haven't had freezer-burnt food in a long rear end time.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 10, 2023