Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/SquigglyVolcano/status/1723130796284711396

https://twitter.com/SquigglyVolcano/status/1723122419085287603

https://twitter.com/mondoterremoti/status/1723059509898195266

CNN posted:

Iceland’s Blue Lagoon closed as 1,000 earthquakes hit in 24 hours
Julia Buckley, CNN

It’s one of the main draws that brings visitors to Iceland, for a float in its milky-blue, comfortingly warm waters.

But the world-famous Blue Lagoon geothermal pool has closed for a week because of the current seismic activity around the site.

The site is part of southwest Iceland’s Reykjanes Peninsula – a thick finger of land pointing west into the North Atlantic Ocean from capital Reykjavik. As well as the Blue Lagoon, the peninsula is also home to Iceland’s main airport, Keflavik International.

Iceland is one of the most active volcanic areas on the planet. Rather than having a central volcano, the Reykjanes Peninsula is dominated by a rift valley, with lava fields and cones.

According to the Icelandic Met Office, around 1,400 earthquakes were measured in the 24 hours leading up to around midday on Thursday November 9, with another 800 in the first 14 hours of Friday. Seven of Thursday’s were of a magnitude of four or above – and all of these were on the peninsula, between Eldvörp, near the airport, and Sýlingarfell, a mountain just to the east of the Blue Lagoon.

The most severe quake registered 4.8 west of Þorbjörn, a mountain roughly a mile south of the Blue Lagoon, at just before 1 a.m. on Thursday.

Iceland's new Forest Lagoon spa immerses visitors among the trees
“It is the largest earthquake since the activity began on October 25th,” the Met Office wrote in a bulletin on Thursday.

“While the accumulation of magma continues, seismic activity can be expected on the Reykjavík Peninsula because the magma intrusion causes increased tension in the area.”

Tremors can be felt from as far away as Reykjavik, a spokesperson for the local tourist board told CNN.

https://twitter.com/volcaholic1/status/1723110762418225552

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1723133211100750069

Stay, um, cool, Iceland Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You should probs go visit and report from the ground.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Got a layover there in December, hope they sort their poo poo out by then. Get a grip, Iceland!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'd say nobody saw this coming but...
Well the silfra fissure there has been super prominent for years.

E: I knew a girl who lived in iceland, but I haven't talked to her for years. I suppose if you see this, turn off skyrim and leave town.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 11, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kazem Seddiqi warned us. We didn't listen.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
god damnit. tricked into clicking on a three olives thread

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mordja posted:

Got a layover there in December, hope they sort their poo poo out by then. Get a grip, Iceland!

I'm sure it will be fine...

quote:

In response to concerns that volcanic ash ejected during the 2010 eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland would damage aircraft engines, the controlled airspace of many European countries was closed to instrument flight rules traffic, resulting in what at the time was the largest air-traffic shut-down since World War II. The closures caused millions of passengers to be stranded not only in Europe, but across the world. With large parts of European airspace closed to air traffic, many more countries were affected as flights to, from, and over Europe were cancelled.

After an initial uninterrupted shutdown over much of northern Europe from 15 to 23 April, airspace was closed intermittently in different parts of Europe in the following weeks, as the path of the ash cloud was tracked. The ash cloud caused further disruptions to air travel operations in Scotland and Ireland on 4 and 5 May and in Spain, Portugal, northern Italy, Austria, and southern Germany on 9 May. Irish and UK airspace closed again on 16 May and reopened on 17 May.

quote:

British Airways Flight 009, sometimes referred to by its callsign Speedbird 9 or as the Jakarta incident, was a scheduled British Airways flight from London Heathrow to Auckland, with stops in Bombay, Kuala Lumpur, Perth, and Melbourne.

On 24 June 1982, the route was flown by the City of Edinburgh, a Boeing 747-236B registered as G-BDXH. The aircraft flew into a cloud of volcanic ash thrown up by the eruption of Mount Galunggung around 110 miles (180 km) south-east of Jakarta, Indonesia, resulting in the failure of all four engines. Partly because the event occurred at night, obscuring the cloud, the reason for the failure was not immediately apparent to the crew or air traffic control. The aircraft was diverted to Jakarta in the hope that enough engines could be restarted to allow it to land there. The aircraft glided out of the ash cloud, and all engines were restarted (although one failed again soon after), allowing the aircraft to land safely at the Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in Jakarta.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no, they closed one tourist attraction.

If there is an eruption it will be cool to watch a live feed of.

Apart from that this is an Hysterical American thread.

Wee fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 11, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

From the Fiery Depths a creature awoke....

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

redshirt posted:

From the Fiery Depths a creature awoke....

I watched Fellowship yesterday. Pretty sure this is my fault.

111023_3
Nov 11, 2023
Goons that are always in peril :ohdear:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I don't know that's a lot of loving earthquakes YIKES

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I hope the king of Denmark throws papers towns at them

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Iceland is sure to melt now!

naem
May 29, 2011

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Frajniskesliefsdjf;s

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well I for one hope Iceland doesn't explode. :colbert:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Calling itself Iceland was a little cocky so it turning into molten rock seems a little karmic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Calling itself Iceland was a little cocky so it turning into molten rock seems a little karmic.

I blame Leif Garrett

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Hmm, true. Okay yeah, I've changed my opinion on this one. 100% supporting the volcano on this one now.

You go you beautiful molten bastard!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Is Bjork okay??

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

*kicks open door and runs into thread panting* more li.... more like fireland

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Saalkin posted:

Is Bjork okay??

I hear she has also sided with the volcano on this one.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

20 Blunts posted:

Frajniskesliefsdjf;s

lol

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
gently caress plate tectonics

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
We need to keep Elon in mind after he acted like a complete rear end in a top hat to Haraldur Thorleifsson who appeared to be by all accounts an amazing person and probably one of the only people Elon has actually publicly apologized to.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

gently caress plate tectonics

Actually.... plate tectonics might be one of the requirements of complex life on a world.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Is Bjork okay??

She knows what she did.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Actually.... plate tectonics might be one of the requirements of complex life on a world.

also it just really fun and relaxing for the plates, just floating around all day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

also it just really fun and relaxing for the plates, just floating around all day.

Actually..... some plates get beaten down and swallowed by the Earth, melted down not to be seen again for thousands of years....

But other than that, sure.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Actually..... some plates get beaten down and swallowed by the Earth, melted down not to be seen again for thousands of years....

But other than that, sure.

Yeah those were the jerk plates who had it coming.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Three Olives posted:

We need to keep Elon in mind

We really, really don't

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Saalkin posted:

Is Bjork okay??

What about the dick museum?!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

We really, really don't

I mean, not out of concern, just as a general evil villain that has been stewing with the guy he was forced to publicly apologize to. For all we know he drove a Tesla into that lagoon to start everything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

She's spending her last day in the dick museum?

Eh, decent choice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dr_rat posted:

She's spending her last day in the dick museum?

Eh, decent choice.

The docent was finally like, whatever, go ahead and gently caress the display.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
:eng101: iceland is not only located on a divergent tectonic plate boundary (the mid-atlantic ridge) but also on a hotspot, which are believed to be the result of plumes rising from the earth's mantle, meaning it would have volcanic activity even if it weren't for the tectonic plates

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Spiceland

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

floor is lava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's called Iceland but then why is there lava???