Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So should everyone in iceland currently be jerking off just in case they suddenly get Pompeii, so future archeologists can laugh at them?

I feel like they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
A Country of Fire and Ice

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Toxic Mental posted:

It's called Iceland but then why is there lava???

Nobody would go there if it was named Lavaland

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lavaland sounds cool as hell

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lavaland is always a better level than Sewer Dungeon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If I was Hawaii I'd sue over use of Lavaland

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SIDS Vicious posted:

floor is lava

my mom only makes me play this because she spends all of her money on her boyfriend Jeff

I fuckin hate Jeff I wish I had a Genesis

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

dr_rat posted:

So should everyone in iceland currently be jerking off just in case they suddenly get Pompeii, so future archeologists can laugh at them?

I feel like they should.
:engleft: volcanic eruptions can be thought of as falling into two main types in terms of activity: explosive and effusive.
explosive eruptions are characterized by the forceful release of high-pressure gas and rock fragments into the atmosphere, while effusive eruptions are characterized by a slower, non-explosive outpouring of lava from the volcano
explosive eruptions are usually associated with viscous magma that does not flow easily. when the gas in this type of magma increases to the point of setting off an eruption, they can be some of the most violent mankind has ever witnessed, such as the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo, and of course the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.
on the other hand, effusive eruptions are associated with low-viscosity magma that flows easily. when these eruptions happen, the lava (though still very dangerous) can just bubble up and flow down the volcano's slopes, even attracting tourists and spectators

the current volcanic activity is occurring in the Reykjanes Peninsula, which is characterized by basaltic volcanism. basaltic magma is typically low in viscosity and has a relatively low gas content, which makes it more likely to produce an effusive eruption than the kind that encased the inhabitants of Pompeii and Herculaneum in ashfall and pyroclastic surge deposits

so no, probably not

(that being said, it is important to note that predicting volcanic eruptions is a complex and challenging task, and, though rare, basaltic volcanism can result in explosive eruptions, such as the 1886 eruption of Mount Tarawera on the north island of new zealand)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Ooh Iceland

enjoy this song by Bjork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGl52-QtBk

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cubone posted:

:engleft: Interesting volcano stuff!!!!

I mean if were going to be all science about it the preserved masturbating body, probably wasn't jerking it, the hot pyroclastic surge the killed him just likely caused his body to flex into that position. Alas. :(

Iceland you can do better!

Anyway I'm just going to go with this paper https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009254121001145 and assuming with no research -and while quite drunk and with no geological academic background- that as Iceland is all cold and icey right now it will have a lower level of dissolved water in magma chamber and therefor generating explosive event, that will destroy all of iceland apart form Bjork and the penis museum.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Code Jockey posted:

my mom only makes me play this because she spends all of her money on her boyfriend Jeff

I fuckin hate Jeff I wish I had a Genesis

Congrats on Jeffrey of YOSPOS becoming your new dad

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's a small price to pay for abundant geothermal energy in my opinion

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=804nPrAUAxg

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Someone must have paved their driveway without checking with the elves.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I can say Eyjafjallajökull (probably with an accent) like it's no big deal :smug:

The guy with the sled dogs was also impressed with how I said Mjollnir. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
well Iceland is one of those places that has so little foreigners their genetic pool is getting incesty. but apparently thats good for geneticists? anyways. hope everyone is safe, and icelanders should take advantage of evacuation by banging or marrying foreigners

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

cruft posted:

I can say Eyjafjallajökull (probably with an accent) like it's no big deal :smug:

The guy with the sled dogs was also impressed with how I said Mjollnir. :smug: :smug: :smug:
He's a Nazi op

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

feelix posted:

He's a Nazi op

Yeah, maybe. I suppose there's a path to being into Nordic heritage that doesn't end in Nazi land, but it seems like a lot of them do.

Then again, seems like a lot of other paths end up there these days, too. :shrug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Anyway, Icelandic is cool because they decided maybe what Germanic needed was diacriticals and more letters, and not bullshit like the one-syllable "-ough" suffix.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This is Iceland's 9/11

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Toxic Mental posted:

It's called Iceland but then why is there lava???

As per Norse tradition, Ingólfr Arnarson needed to trick people into coming so he lied that it was covered in ice as opposed to lava to entice settlers. Erik the Red weren't poo poo in comparison.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Another relevant music from manbjork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIMgSVuW0y0

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Spazzle posted:

This is Iceland's 9/11

It was 10.11 you idiot

E: ;)

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 11, 2023

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mirage posted:

Nobody would go there if it was named Lavaland

I’m pretty sure similar logic was employed they named Greenland thusly. Nobody was showing up when it was called “Hypothermialand”.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anyone visit Iceland with a main intention of seeing the Aurora? It would be my main - or one of my main - hopes for a possible trip.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

redshirt posted:

Anyone visit Iceland with a main intention of seeing the Aurora? It would be my main - or one of my main - hopes for a possible trip.

Yes, I went there for like 3 weeks in the winter. IMHO you want to go north as soon as you land. We rented this badass little house by a lake (sound? inlet? IDK I live in the desert). https://stinagugga.wixsite.com/borgir

Got some good photos, but it was pretty cold.

Also, this trip convinced us to not do overseas travel again. Flying on a plane then driving a car then hauling rear end on foot to go take a selfie in front of a melting glacier with dozens of other tourists put a really sour taste in our mouths about the ecological cost of travel.

E: that glacier experience convinced me to make resolution in Reykjavik on new year's eve to avoid air travel whenever possible in 2023. I have a whole thread about that over in Tourism and Travel.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 11, 2023

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Tourism in Iceland is getting crazy. We go over to visit family every year or so and it's jarring how much it has changed- in about 10 years they've gone from 300k tourists a year to 1.2 million a month. One of the nice things about covid was that Icelanders had a chance to visit their own landmarks without slogging through crowds of tourists.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Tourism in Iceland is getting crazy.

Yeah. As a tourist myself, it was kind of appalling. It didn't really get bad until we hit the highway from Reykjavik to Sólheimjökull.

Þingvellir was particularly crowded, and we witnessed some egregious tourist behavior. But it was also gorgeous, and reading about a government older than recorded history on my continent was fascinating.

It didn't take very long to get away from the tourists, either. Just walk more than 10 minutes away from your car :classiclol:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

To their credit they have invested a lot into infrastructure around the city and tourist attractions, they have put a lot of effort into walkways and erosion mitigation.

They're talking about instituting tourism taxes which should cut down on the volume of people coming in.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

They're talking about instituting tourism taxes which should cut down on the volume of people coming in.

Seems like a real balancing act. The economy surely depends heavily on tourism. But tourism is also destroying the things everybody's coming to see, in direct and indirect ways.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

cruft posted:

Seems like a real balancing act. The economy surely depends heavily on tourism. But tourism is also destroying the things everybody's coming to see, in direct and indirect ways.

Well, so are the volcanoes, apparently.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well, so are the volcanoes, apparently.

Hey-O!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

has anyone heard from bjarki? has anyone heard of bjarki???

Vakal
May 11, 2008

redshirt posted:

Actually..... some plates get beaten down and swallowed by the Earth, melted down not to be seen again for thousands of years....

But other than that, sure.

that's the human equivalent of getting so fa and lazy that you just begin to melt into your sofa/chair

naem
May 29, 2011

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

well Iceland is one of those places that has so little foreigners their genetic pool is getting incesty. but apparently thats good for geneticists? anyways. hope everyone is safe, and icelanders should take advantage of evacuation by banging or marrying foreigners

I wanted to make a joke about volunteering to help with genetic diversity and post photos of pretty ladies, had second thoughts because that would be misogynistic, and then realized they could probably a crush my like a bug

what I am saying is I surrender

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

naem posted:

I wanted to make a joke about volunteering to help with genetic diversity and post photos of pretty ladies, had second thoughts because that would be misogynistic, and then realized they could probably a crush my like a bug

Your search engine profile is different than mine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

...but apparently thats good for geneticists? anyways. hope everyone is safe, and icelanders should take advantage of evacuation by banging or marrying foreigners

Sorry just cheeked. Slipped below the seas like a modern day altantas. :(

All that can be done now is making up a bunch of poo poo about Iceland to confuses future civilization. Man Iceland with all it's UFO's, bigfoot librarians and unicorn president were cool, we shall remember you!!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wendigee posted:

You should probs go visit and report from the ground.

I went last year but they turned off all the volcano and earthquake machines. Very disappointing.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Even if it’s covered in lava, it’s not as hot as Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

what I am saying is I surrender

SnüSnü