Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

dr_rat posted:

Well I for one hope Iceland doesn't explode. :colbert:

pretty controversial take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

kntfkr posted:

pretty controversial take
yeah everyone else wants to rid the world of hákarl once and for all

CgiBinLaden
Mar 11, 2001
See what happens when you let the Vikings take all of the trees to make their boats. You no longer have the roots to suck up the magma and disperse the heat into the sky, and it builds up, like a zit under the surface.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Not me. Split it down the middle, fair and square.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

cruft posted:

I can say Eyjafjallajökull (probably with an accent) like it's no big deal :smug:

The guy with the sled dogs was also impressed with how I said Mjollnir. :smug: :smug: :smug:

I got taught that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvhKZHAP8U

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Here’s a livestream in case you don’t want to miss out on Grindavik being consumed by eternal hellfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQzsB9ev9Q

DamnCanadian fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 13, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hmmm, the live video feed from Iceland seems... somewhat concerning.

Eh, I'm sure they'll be fine.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Oh hey I just got off a plane leaving Iceland. Ridiculously jet lagged right now. Great vacation, saw the aurora, didn’t feel a single quake in Reykjavik. The dick museum is a riot.

I do hope it all turns out ok there!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My doctors told me the fissures are due to low fiber, maybe we should send oatmeal to Iceland.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
So, I'm one of the roughly 3700 people who used to live in Grindavík. Friday sucked pretty hard, the quakes started around 15:30 or something and they just didn't stop, some strong enough to set off car alarms, but most were just annoyances. Around 18:00 I went to check on my parents house and it felt like a goddamned disaster movie when I entered an empty house checking for damage and the ground just would not stop shaking. At this time I'd made up my mind to get out, mostly to get some peace and maybe some sleep. My thinking was that I'd be back on Saturday or Sunday, so I only packed a days worth of clothes.

On the way out of town, while driving, I felt a couple of quakes that shook the car, while I was doing ~40kph, that was a first for me.

At 23:00 they announced that the town was being evacuated and that I wouldn't be going home anytime soon. Thankfully a lot of people have offered help and I'm now staying in an apartment that belongs to people I only met yesterday.

TL;DR this situation sucks poo poo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That sucks man.

What kind of social safety net exists for this sort of thing? Is there like magma insurance?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

nice obelisk idiot posted:

This, but EVE instead.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whats the status on their costco though

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
guess the fairies decided they're taking the land back. sorry to the goon whose home is being reclaimed by the fey.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Looks like there's a crack running through the middle of town. Which seems suboptimal.

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1724076210311791005

Steam coming out could be from magma OR it could be from central heating pipes running underground.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That sucks man.

What kind of social safety net exists for this sort of thing? Is there like magma insurance?

There is some national insurance for natural disasters, who knows if people will actually get some money.
As for income, there are discussions on how that will work for most people, but my boss called me and said that they will continue to pay all employees, so I have that going for me.

Also today everybody got to go to town and retrieve some of their stuff.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

Looks like there's a crack running through the middle of town. Which seems suboptimal.

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1724076210311791005

Steam coming out could be from magma OR it could be from central heating pipes running underground.

The steam is from the mains hot water leaking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How does geothermal power do when the local magma starts getting frisky?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Whats the status on their costco though

The CostCo is in Garđabćr where the bourgeoise live.

Right across the street from the Ikea.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

dor1 posted:

TL;DR this situation sucks poo poo.

drat, sorry you're going through this.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

goatface posted:

How does geothermal power do when the local magma starts getting frisky?

Well, i guess the steam would be hotter, but i dont know if that's the case.

Cessna posted:

drat, sorry you're going through this.

It is what it is, i guess i have to make the best of it. I was able to go in today and found out that my house is fine and there was only like one thing that had fallen over and broken. While some people went home and found that their home is completely fubar

A rather large crack in a street

Some dude standing in his completely hosed home, that he bought in July

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I watched helicopter footage of that steaming fissure that ripped open today. A bunch of dumbass youtube commenters are saying "don't worry, the steam coming out of that brand new giant fissure right through town? Well, actually, that's just steam from heating ducts, its not the bad kind of steam". Great, I guess everything's fine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hope everybody is ok. Take care now.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I just noticed Iceland still has not exploded. Have you guys been allowed to return to Grindavik or is it still off limits?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Still mostly off limits and very damaged but the odds of eruption seem to be decreasing, for now.

naem
May 29, 2011

hope everyone is holding up ok over there

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
I've been back a few times to get some stuff out, but currently nobody can stay in the town at night. Residents are allowed in to do whatever and some companies have started back up in some capacity.

For the time being i know my apartment building seems fine, so do the houses of most people i know, but i do know some people who've lost their houses, or have had their houses severely damaged, a few with some minor damage. The consensus seems to be that most of the buildings in town are fine, but some may only be superficially fine, they might be damaged in such a way that it's not visible to a layman.

My employer offered me and my coworkers to temporarily relocate to another of their locations so we could continue working and that's been great, just to have something to do. The first few days post evac did some mental damage, all i really did was constantly refresh news sites, waiting for some news, good or bad. Having something to do, and a reason to wake up feels good, feels normal.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Salt Fish posted:

I watched helicopter footage of that steaming fissure that ripped open today. A bunch of dumbass youtube commenters are saying "don't worry, the steam coming out of that brand new giant fissure right through town? Well, actually, that's just steam from heating ducts, its not the bad kind of steam". Great, I guess everything's fine.

It's steam from he steamed clams we're having.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Salt Fish posted:

Steam escaping is just reducing the pressure. It's like when you fart a little bit to keep from making GBS threads your pants.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eruption time

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=804nPrAUAxg

Is Iceland going to melt into the sea?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:stare: what do they grow in the magma greenhouse

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Coolnezzz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=804nPrAUAxg

Is Iceland going to melt into the sea?

At 22:17:17 you can see it erupt in the bottom left camera.

e: got it recorded

Dumb Sex-Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 19, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
It was such a Niceland.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
someone left the stove on

https://x.com/WxNB_/status/1736894632720507214?s=20

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
dang that looks sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

https://www.ruv.is/english/2023-12-18-eruption-on-reykjanes-peninsula-399922

Iceland government posted:

Civil Defence has announced that the drone ban imposed at the beginning of the eruption is no longer necessary as it stands.

I cannot wait to see some sweet, sweet drone footage tomorrow as Iceland's drone pilots see how close they can get without melting their gear.