Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I can say Eyjafjallajökull (probably with an accent) like it's no big deal :smug:

The guy with the sled dogs was also impressed with how I said Mjollnir. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

feelix posted:

He's a Nazi op

Yeah, maybe. I suppose there's a path to being into Nordic heritage that doesn't end in Nazi land, but it seems like a lot of them do.

Then again, seems like a lot of other paths end up there these days, too. :shrug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Anyway, Icelandic is cool because they decided maybe what Germanic needed was diacriticals and more letters, and not bullshit like the one-syllable "-ough" suffix.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Spazzle posted:

This is Iceland's 9/11

It was 10.11 you idiot

E: ;)

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 11, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

redshirt posted:

Anyone visit Iceland with a main intention of seeing the Aurora? It would be my main - or one of my main - hopes for a possible trip.

Yes, I went there for like 3 weeks in the winter. IMHO you want to go north as soon as you land. We rented this badass little house by a lake (sound? inlet? IDK I live in the desert). https://stinagugga.wixsite.com/borgir

Got some good photos, but it was pretty cold.

Also, this trip convinced us to not do overseas travel again. Flying on a plane then driving a car then hauling rear end on foot to go take a selfie in front of a melting glacier with dozens of other tourists put a really sour taste in our mouths about the ecological cost of travel.

E: that glacier experience convinced me to make resolution in Reykjavik on new year's eve to avoid air travel whenever possible in 2023. I have a whole thread about that over in Tourism and Travel.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 11, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Tourism in Iceland is getting crazy.

Yeah. As a tourist myself, it was kind of appalling. It didn't really get bad until we hit the highway from Reykjavik to Sólheimjökull.

Þingvellir was particularly crowded, and we witnessed some egregious tourist behavior. But it was also gorgeous, and reading about a government older than recorded history on my continent was fascinating.

It didn't take very long to get away from the tourists, either. Just walk more than 10 minutes away from your car :classiclol:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

They're talking about instituting tourism taxes which should cut down on the volume of people coming in.

Seems like a real balancing act. The economy surely depends heavily on tourism. But tourism is also destroying the things everybody's coming to see, in direct and indirect ways.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well, so are the volcanoes, apparently.

Hey-O!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

naem posted:

I wanted to make a joke about volunteering to help with genetic diversity and post photos of pretty ladies, had second thoughts because that would be misogynistic, and then realized they could probably a crush my like a bug

Your search engine profile is different than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Geology is so cool :swoon:

Ms cruft and I are such nerds.