Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
So, I'm one of the roughly 3700 people who used to live in Grindavík. Friday sucked pretty hard, the quakes started around 15:30 or something and they just didn't stop, some strong enough to set off car alarms, but most were just annoyances. Around 18:00 I went to check on my parents house and it felt like a goddamned disaster movie when I entered an empty house checking for damage and the ground just would not stop shaking. At this time I'd made up my mind to get out, mostly to get some peace and maybe some sleep. My thinking was that I'd be back on Saturday or Sunday, so I only packed a days worth of clothes.

On the way out of town, while driving, I felt a couple of quakes that shook the car, while I was doing ~40kph, that was a first for me.

At 23:00 they announced that the town was being evacuated and that I wouldn't be going home anytime soon. Thankfully a lot of people have offered help and I'm now staying in an apartment that belongs to people I only met yesterday.

TL;DR this situation sucks poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That sucks man.

What kind of social safety net exists for this sort of thing? Is there like magma insurance?

There is some national insurance for natural disasters, who knows if people will actually get some money.
As for income, there are discussions on how that will work for most people, but my boss called me and said that they will continue to pay all employees, so I have that going for me.

Also today everybody got to go to town and retrieve some of their stuff.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

Looks like there's a crack running through the middle of town. Which seems suboptimal.

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1724076210311791005

Steam coming out could be from magma OR it could be from central heating pipes running underground.

The steam is from the mains hot water leaking.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

goatface posted:

How does geothermal power do when the local magma starts getting frisky?

Well, i guess the steam would be hotter, but i dont know if that's the case.

Cessna posted:

drat, sorry you're going through this.

It is what it is, i guess i have to make the best of it. I was able to go in today and found out that my house is fine and there was only like one thing that had fallen over and broken. While some people went home and found that their home is completely fubar

A rather large crack in a street

Some dude standing in his completely hosed home, that he bought in July

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
I've been back a few times to get some stuff out, but currently nobody can stay in the town at night. Residents are allowed in to do whatever and some companies have started back up in some capacity.

For the time being i know my apartment building seems fine, so do the houses of most people i know, but i do know some people who've lost their houses, or have had their houses severely damaged, a few with some minor damage. The consensus seems to be that most of the buildings in town are fine, but some may only be superficially fine, they might be damaged in such a way that it's not visible to a layman.

My employer offered me and my coworkers to temporarily relocate to another of their locations so we could continue working and that's been great, just to have something to do. The first few days post evac did some mental damage, all i really did was constantly refresh news sites, waiting for some news, good or bad. Having something to do, and a reason to wake up feels good, feels normal.