Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I highly recommend diving straight in and do not google it, nothing but spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W4cOiqHxG4&hd=1

quote:

You're on a path in the woods, and at the end of that path is a cabin. And in the basement of that cabin is a Princess.

You're here to slay her. If you don't, it will be the end of the world.

She will do everything in her power to stop you. She'll charm, and she'll lie, and she'll promise you the world, and if you let her, she'll kill you a dozen times over. You can't let that happen. Don't forget, the fate of the world rests on your shoulders.

Slay The Princess is a CYOA-style visual novel by husband and wife duo Tony Howard-Arias and Abby Howard, with voices by Jonathan Sims and Nichole Goodnight. Depending on your choices and what questions you ask, you will go down one of many significantly different paths, and it will take multiple full playthroughs to experience everything, I've still only seen about half. It also has a Stanley Parable-esque adversarial narrator in it, which is great fun.

honestly the biggest out-of-loving-nowhere surprise for me of 2023.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This game is good, go play it

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
The game is extremely good and very re-playable.

Go in blind, you won't regret it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Yeah I'm glad there's a thread because I love this game but it's so hard to talk about because so much of the pleasure is experiencing what it is for yourself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah that's a big issue, but I've been able to get some folks interested by showing them a bit of a single run. The writing is excellent and the voice acting is mostly also excellent, I think Nichole is very good but has some lines that definitely could have used another take or two, and Jonathan is phenomenal considering the number of variations on the same voice he has to do

I got one person instantly interested by turning around and leaving and refusing to listen to the narrator, that sort of variation and opportunity is like crack to them in stories

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this clip is so good, I love when people can completely guess what's about to happen or be said not because the game's writing is bad, but instead because it's what the player hopes it does/says and they are rewarded. this game in particular is extremely good at that I've found
https://clips.twitch.tv/SpinelessRichSandstormDerp-DmJ1OkYQyENUcgA7

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I love games with warnings like "Go into this game blind!" like with Inscryption. I decided to insist on not going to cabin as my first action.

Things got really loving weird really loving quickly. There's clearly a lot the game is hiding from you from the word go, like assuming your protagonist is human. The weird quantum princess at the end even said I got to that ending too quickly. Plus I got an achievement saying that the real Slay the Princess game begins now. Really enjoying the Stanley Parable aspect to it all already! :munch:

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Game absolutely owns, maybe my biggest surprise and favorite game of 2023.

Thorn best route. Pissing the narrator off by kissing the princess is great fun, can't imagine taking the opportunity to do the shittier option.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just beat the game. Wow, that turned out to be pretty cool and wait holy poo poo there are how many achievements still left??? How many variations are there on this game!? :staredog: :psyduck:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I feel like the actual ending didn't quite stick the landing for me -- it felt like it was expecting me to take the setting and metaphysics of the game seriously without really having fleshed it out enough to give me reason to do that, which left me feeling like I was making a vaguely defined choice for vaguely defined reasons -- but the process of getting there was pretty fun, in a "Monty Python with all of the gore and none of the homophobia" kind of way.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

You're on a path in the woods
And at the end of that path is a cabin.
And in the basement of that cabin is a princess.

and you are a horrible goose.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thuryl posted:

I feel like the actual ending didn't quite stick the landing for me -- it felt like it was expecting me to take the setting and metaphysics of the game seriously without really having fleshed it out enough to give me reason to do that, which left me feeling like I was making a vaguely defined choice for vaguely defined reasons -- but the process of getting there was pretty fun, in a "Monty Python with all of the gore and none of the homophobia" kind of way.
I think it sets things up well enough by the time you reach it, but when you meet the narrator, it's pretty easy to avoid the questions in the limited time you have that actually explain what's what outright. the narrator is an echo of a mortal who managed to split apart and trapped god in a construct designed to have you kill off the part of god that allows death, so that his universe would lose the ability to die. the ending is you coming to terms with rejoining with your other half and rebooting the universe, setting things back to how they always have been.

a lot of philosophical indie games do that sort of thing, but to me this one did it better than others and I really enjoyed the finale. both versions of the finale I experienced, anyways, I'm sure there are others but I'm not going to go wikidiving or whatever for this game. I've seen the "two gods rejoin and reboot the universe kaleidoscope" ending and the "you go into the cabin in her heart to find the core version of her inside and you go outside together" ending

Whitenoise Poster posted:

You're on a path in the woods
And at the end of that path is a cabin.
And in the basement of that cabin is a princess.

and you are a horrible goose.

:sickos:

did you make that yourself? it rules

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've gotten a good majority of the achievements by now but just found out that my screenshots didn't actually capture what was on screen, instead saving a blank black screen or otherwise. Just FYI, try using the in-game screenshot feature by hitting S instead of an external screenshot program like Greenshot in case you have issues like I did.

I really enjoyed the game, but a minor gripe (major spoilers):

I didn't really care for the pseudo-existentialist philosophy during your chats with the Shifting Mound after each vessel is submitted and the final conversation with the God Princess. It just felt like the writer was throwing around words to sound smart but comes off as pretentious nonsense. I did really enjoy her showing scenes from your run from her perspective, though. That was pretty neat.

I think my favorite routes were the Witch, The Stranger, The Prisoner, Razor, Arms Race, Adversary and Beast. Either they had really creepy and tense moments, parts that messed with my head or were hosed up, or had the best and funniest moments. If I had to pick an absolute favorite, then either Witch or Razor. Razor was especially hosed up because I was still operating under the assumption that the world only moves when I choose the right options, so when she suddenly said she was bored of talking and charged after me mid-conversation that scared the poo poo out of me.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 19, 2023

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
This game loving sucks. It's a poorly written visual novel that relies entirely on "don't read about it before you play" - for the simple reason that the writing is mediocre and the dull "metaplot" has nothing to offer by modern perspectives. Complete poo poo, avoid.

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

Tolth posted:

This game loving sucks. It's a poorly written visual novel that relies entirely on "don't read about it before you play" - for the simple reason that the writing is mediocre and the dull "metaplot" has nothing to offer by modern perspectives. Complete poo poo, avoid.

Narrator: Turn on your monitor, friend.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The narrator is a LessWrong comment section denizen. Johnny Sims tears poo poo up.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Guess we found one of the 3% lol

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Narrator: This game loving sucks. It's a poorly written visual novel that relies entirely on "don't read about it before you play" - for the simple reason that the writing is mediocre and the dull "metaplot" has nothing to offer by modern perspectives. Complete poo poo, avoid.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
looks like reddit cringe, I shan't be playing it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Horizon Burning posted:

looks like reddit cringe, I shan't be playing it

dumb bitch, its obviously tumblr cringe. learn some media literacy, dipshit!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I love games with warnings like "Go into this game blind!" like with Inscryption. I decided to insist on not going to cabin as my first action.

Things got really loving weird really loving quickly. There's clearly a lot the game is hiding from you from the word go, like assuming your protagonist is human.
Haven't played yet and accidentally brushed over this spoiler (I was really just looking at impressions first, for why I'd even click on the thread in the first place lol), but this stood out because I looked at the trailer linked in the first post and on the game store as well and the perspective character's hand looks pretty clearly non-human. I suppose it might not be immediately apparent in-game but this at least was something the devs seemed okay with letting out early. Gonna have to assume there's more to it, though, lol.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it sets things up well enough by the time you reach it, but when you meet the narrator, it's pretty easy to avoid the questions in the limited time you have that actually explain what's what outright. the narrator is an echo of a mortal who managed to split apart and trapped god in a construct designed to have you kill off the part of god that allows death, so that his universe would lose the ability to die. the ending is you coming to terms with rejoining with your other half and rebooting the universe, setting things back to how they always have been.

a lot of philosophical indie games do that sort of thing, but to me this one did it better than others and I really enjoyed the finale. both versions of the finale I experienced, anyways, I'm sure there are others but I'm not going to go wikidiving or whatever for this game. I've seen the "two gods rejoin and reboot the universe kaleidoscope" ending and the "you go into the cabin in her heart to find the core version of her inside and you go outside together" ending

:sickos:

did you make that yourself? it rules

I got most of that, but the stakes felt a bit too abstract to hit home for me; you get told there's a world full of people outside the cabin but you don't ever really see them or find out anything about them, and the princess changes so much between runs that it's hard to feel like she's a defined character.

Also I brought the knife into the cabin at the end, figuring I could just not use it if I didn't want to, and it turns out doing that kinda gives you two lovely options to pick from; I probably would have liked the second ending you got better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I felt that the whole point was that everything was immaterial outside of what you see. regardless of whether there's a whole world outside of your view, all you know is the woods, the cabin, and the basement, and you only have the word of The Narrator otherwise. this becomes INSANELY evident the moment you go the Contrarian route, where you immediately try to leave repeatedly as soon as you get control until eventually Something Happens. I highly recommend hopping in and trying it if you haven't yet, because it definitely set the tone for me for the rest of the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I felt that the whole point was that everything was immaterial outside of what you see. regardless of whether there's a whole world outside of your view, all you know is the woods, the cabin, and the basement, and you only have the word of The Narrator otherwise. this becomes INSANELY evident the moment you go the Contrarian route, where you immediately try to leave repeatedly as soon as you get control until eventually Something Happens. I highly recommend hopping in and trying it if you haven't yet, because it definitely set the tone for me for the rest of the game.

I would have been okay with that, except that even the things I did get to see felt too ill-defined for me to really grab on to and care about. It felt like more of a thought experiment than a story, and I've seen the thought experiment before.

I did try out the contrarian route, and after the first loop in it I kinda went "okay, yeah, I see where this is going" and decided I might as well get back on the rails.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 20, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

More major spoilers:

Having played through the game several times and clicked through the different possible limited options when you interrogate the Narrator through the broken mirror's reflection, this gets spelled out more or less explicitly. As in, the Narrator somehow died and created an artificial simulation/construct to split and trap two parts of the same god, isolating the parts of death in the Princess to manipulate the player/The Long Quiet into killing that part of themself. The simulation is put on repeat until this or some other outcome finally ends the simulation and only exists for that purpose, so there's nothing else actually outside of the cabin when you finish that particular iteration and kill the Princess or die.

But once you break out of the simulation, either by assuming your true godlike form or joining with GodPrincess, the simulation shatters and you go back to the "real world". Either that or you go hand-in-hand with the Princess' heart and enjoy the fake simulation together.

Sorry if that explanation was poo poo, but it's really convoluted even if you do understand the plot. I still don't get the symbolism of the mirror mirage in the different third chapters in the game, for instance.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The parts of the game that aren’t ‘philosophical’ are fun, the rest is so-so. It’s a cool and unique game though, I recommend it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

an iksar marauder posted:

The parts of the game that aren’t ‘philosophical’ are fun, the rest is so-so. It’s a cool and unique game though, I recommend it

Yeah I think its a really good VN but ultimately the setting and big picture stuff is pretty bog standard. The game's charm lies with presentation, humor, and the princess being cute even when she is "scary". (I put scary in quotes because I only found two of forms actually scary, and even then it felt just mild scary.)

I am surprised how many people like the thorn route the most. I think the bad version of this game would be more like that in tone as whole lmao. Its the most standard type of narrative you would see in something like this.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 20, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am surprised how many people like the thorn route the most. I think the bad version of this game would be more like that in tone as whole lmao. Its the most standard type of narrative you would see in something like this.

Still, what really sells me on that and the Damsel route is how hilariously disgusted the Narrator feels describing the player and Princess being in love making goo-goo eyes at each other and hates you for making him do so when all he wants is for her to be slain instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thuryl posted:

I would have been okay with that, except that even the things I did get to see felt too ill-defined for me to really grab on to and care about. It felt like more of a thought experiment than a story, and I've seen the thought experiment before.
I get having seen a similar thing before and not being satisfied with it again, but I liked this iteration of that type. I think that "you are god, and a mortal in their hubris has trapped you in an unfathomable construct in order to kill part of you" is a great further twist on the weird time loop aspect of it. That The Princess manifests only in reaction to what you do is another reason I like it. like obviously that is how it works in multiple route games, but that she is a blank slate until you make decisions is what I like. if you just go straight in and merc her wordlessly, she becomes a ghost who only wants to know what it's like to live, because you killed her before she could do more than say two sentences. and rescuing her like a fairytale knight turns her into a cardboard cutout. that one in particular was hilarious, especially how her artstyle devolves as it progresses. The Hero's "are we the only one here right now?" was one of the best lines of that route imo

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 20, 2023

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

For the record, the vessels I saw in my run were the Eye of the Needle, the Razor, the Stranger, the Spectre, and the Damsel, I think in that order. Seeing the Eye of the Needle first gave me a very different impression of what the game was gonna be than what it ended up being, and I think I was more hyped for that game than the one I ended up with.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thuryl posted:

For the record, the vessels I saw in my run were the Eye of the Needle, the Razor, the Stranger, the Spectre, and the Damsel, I think in that order. Seeing the Eye of the Needle first gave me a very different impression of what the game was gonna be than what it ended up being, and I think I was more hyped for that game than the one I ended up with.

I think my first order went Stranger, Witch, Wild, Razor/Arms Race/Mutually Assured Destruction, (warped) Damsel which gave me a weird Stanley Parable/Virtue's Last Reward impression of the game. Weird, tense but oddly satisfying. Basically toying with the game at first to see what it could do, then being distrustful and freaked out by the Princess to ultimately feeling bad for her and antagonistic toward the Narrator. Also I was usually more interested in talking with her and choosing as many Explore options as I could which usually got me killed in time-limited situations or made things really weird lol.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 20, 2023

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's a good game.

Surprised me that the branches that go off of Witch are some of the best ones and because they both branch off of Witch, they're mutually exclusive on the same runthrough. Of course you could make a save to go back and see it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The best branch is the Razor, The Princess being all "No, I definitely do not have a weapon, now come close to me where I definitely will not stab you" is an incredibly funny bit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's... Ok enough. A bit purple prose-y, but with nice enough aesthetics. Good way to spend a few hours, I guess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Considering this was, what, a small side project made to take a break from the actual full game they are working on, it's pretty drat impressive imo.

I actually really liked it, there's a LOT more reactivity and alternate routes than I thought there would be

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Good game, if a little bit overhyped, with absolutely amazing voice acting.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I can't praise the voice acting enough. It won me over completely when I heard an impersonation of Lazlo from What We Do in the Shadows.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Is this like lamentations of the flame princess the game?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hey hey hey, the thread's stickied!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kneelbeforezog posted:

Is this like lamentations of the flame princess the game?

No, this game is not made by a loser.