Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've enjoyed this game a lot. There's so much to poke at and explore. The voice acting is great too.

The Apotheosis, the Thorn and the Wild have been my favourite routes so far.

From the Damsel, is there a second Chapter 3 you can reach? Most of the other chapter 2's can lead to two chapter 3's. But I think I've tried everything with her by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tenebrais posted:

I've enjoyed this game a lot. There's so much to poke at and explore. The voice acting is great too.

The Apotheosis, the Thorn and the Wild have been my favourite routes so far.

From the Damsel, is there a second Chapter 3 you can reach? Most of the other chapter 2's can lead to two chapter 3's. But I think I've tried everything with her by now.

No, only one chapter 3 by killing her.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This game rules and I refuse to replay it because that was the perfect story for me personally.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i liked this game mostly. tower is the best one.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The best princess is the one addicted to combat where you fight and kill and resurrect until the heat death of the universe and you both realize that is what true love is. I will never forgive the narrator.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a testament to the enjoyability of the writing in each arc that there are frequent arguments and significant diversity over which arc people think is "the best".

It's obviously Razor, though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's Nightmare or Specter for me. The manual breathing in Nightmare gets me every time, but the Princess meeting the narrator is great too.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I don't see what's the appeal of this game. Seems very easy and the tactical options are really limited. I think it took me like 10 minutes to slay the princess and that was without skipping any dialog.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I don't see what's the appeal of this game. Seems very easy and the tactical options are really limited. I think it took me like 10 minutes to slay the princess and that was without skipping any dialog.
Thank you, finally someone that Gets It. The name of the game is Slay The Princess and you're supposed to slay the princess. It's like some people don't understand the basic framing and that the world will end if you don't slay her.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

FZeroRacer posted:

It's like some people don't understand the basic framing and that the world will end if you don't slay her.

Not on my watch :cool:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Ah, I see. This would've been a whole lot easier if I'd known I had to slay the princess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I DID slay the princess, and fat lot of good that did us.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also from what I remember, the game was originally going to be called "Save the Princess", but "Slay the Princess" was more easily copyrightable so they went with that. I'm glad they did, because Slay the Princess is a way more fundamentally interesting name than Save the Princess.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

also from what I remember, the game was originally going to be called "Save the Princess", but "Slay the Princess" was more easily copyrightable so they went with that. I'm glad they did, because Slay the Princess is a way more fundamentally interesting name than Save the Princess.

That's interesting, given how central your task of slaying her is to the story. How far back was this? I could imagine the game originally not having that element and just being focused on rescuing a princess that changes to become whatever you think she is.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tenebrais posted:

That's interesting, given how central your task of slaying her is to the story. How far back was this? I could imagine the game originally not having that element and just being focused on rescuing a princess that changes to become whatever you think she is.

Also it could have focused more on a paradigm of how saving the princess goes conventionally as fairy tales usually do, but breaking the convention to slay her would make things go out of whack. But I think the way it plays out as it does now is more interesting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tenebrais posted:

well, in the end, in most cases, you ARE "saving the princess". it's just a bit more abstract than the conventional idea.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
post-game spoiler: once you do a complete 'run' (so four princesses i guess), is the game fully reset?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Verviticus posted:

post-game spoiler: once you do a complete 'run' (so four princesses i guess), is the game fully reset?

Yes, there's no bigger looping, it's a completely new game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Verviticus posted:

Yes. 5 will lead to the credits and a true reset.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
cool, thank you. i asked because i went into the game with the intention of complete cooperation with the princess and was forced to stab her, and then when i started a new run i was able to damsel on my first time entering the cabin, so if its a true reset then that means i must have not seen the option to resist the first time around

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I bought this on a whim: Should I play it on Steam Deck or Couch PC?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you want to just loaf and play it, couch pc is fine, you don't even need a keyboard. you just click the dialogue options. there's no rush or timer in doing things.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Samovar posted:

It's... Ok enough. A bit purple prose-y, but with nice enough aesthetics. Good way to spend a few hours, I guess.

accurate review. Game's overpriced for what it is but it isn't bad

the strong points are enough for me to overlook the times it felt cringe like the Beast ending

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
The game isn't that clever. And the art is bad imo

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Game rules. My favorite ending is the one where you and Shifty leave all this god nonsense behind.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, that was an interesting experience. I think I liked it? Kinda want to go back and see some of the untaken paths, because holy poo poo looking at the achievement list there are a TON of story paths I didn't see, as well as some intriguing-looking endings or special accomplishments or something.

My particular run felt satisfying even though it was mostly accidental. I intended to just do what it says on the box and slay the princess at first, except I was dumb enough to ask the Narrator what if she tried to kill me, and so of course she was too fast and killed me instead, and whoops now she's some sort of psychic evil goddess thing. Later I did a run where I tried to save her, except I brought the dagger down with me, and then the subsequent loop when I didn't take the dagger, it felt like it was giving me the same exact story and I knew I needed to bring back different memories, so I gave in to the Narrator telling me to kill her and accidentally created the vengeful Witch lol.

Anyone feel like sharing how to get to some of the more interesting paths they saw? I think my favorite was the Stranger, where you turn back and never go to the cabin at the very start. Everyone's mentioned the Thorn as very good, but there are so many unexplored options lol I'd have no idea how to get there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Anyone feel like sharing how to get to some of the more interesting paths they saw? I think my favorite was the Stranger, where you turn back and never go to the cabin at the very start. Everyone's mentioned the Thorn as very good, but there are so many unexplored options lol I'd have no idea how to get there.

Well, for my favourite paths, I recommend seeing how else things can go with the Witch. Hard to give hints without knowing what you've already seen, but in general basically every iteration of what you do with the knife in chapter 1 leads to something different.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Phenotype posted:

The best version of that requires a really specific path.

In chapter 1, don't take the blade to start with. Once it drops for you, cut her out of the chains, but then fight and slay her.
In chapter 2, take the blade. Chat to her, compliment her, and then give her the blade.

That'll get you a bunch of fun stuff.
You get to some really wild stuff if you also just plain leave in that chapter 2.

There's a full flowchart here, though it won't give you all the achievements, just every route - some achievements are tied to doing very specific things.

My other favourite is at the start if you take the blade, slay her as asked, and check for a pulse. Then in chapter 2, don't take the blade. But do compliment her!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
For some reason, it reminds me of the old classic Which Way Adventure, except with a princess instead of a manticore.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

For some reason, it reminds me of the old classic Which Way Adventure, except with a princess instead of a manticore.

You say that, but one of the Chapter 3 segments does feature a Princess-Manticore.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Hi, this game is really well-made and it also well-made me cry.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I like that there's no way to do an entire run without killing her, because there are way too many goody two-shoeses out there who would try to be all "My waifu uwu".

You know, like me, who's gotten the "Pacifist" achievement on every game I've owned that's had the option. :shobon:

Anyway, great game, great writing, great voice acting, y'all should get it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The individual routes are fun - the way that the game characterises what seem like dry and irrelevant text choices (through the heard voices, how the princess evolves based on them and the end of route flash from her perspective) is a cool gimmick. There seems to be a lot of variety in different route concepts, which are brought to life well with the art and voice acting. But can the meta-plot (ie, the 5?-run structure after which the game hard-resets) really go anywhere different or interesting? Kindof wish the game had a structure built around exploring all of the routes, or at least that you could turn off the meta-plot stuff if it's just gonna be the same every time.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 27, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There are different outcomes for the finale, yes. AFAIK you still encounter gigaprincess no matter what but there are definitely different outcomes. like try forcing her into the "fight" section and then go with "insisting she's forced you to listen to her perspective, now you're going to force her to listen to yours" and see what happens.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Finale chat. I've had variations on the ending where you escape as mortals after the confrontation in The Long Quiet, and I don't know if they were easter eggs or if there's more to be found there. She looked like the default princess in one true escape, and the Stranger princess in another true escape. I've also run into the Contrarion in the true ending cabin. I can't remember if that was the same run as the Stranger princess, though it would fit. He was excited to throw the blade out the window one last time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Attack on Princess posted:

Finale chat. I've had variations on the ending where you escape as mortals after the confrontation in The Long Quiet, and I don't know if they were easter eggs or if there's more to be found there. She looked like the default princess in one true escape, and the Stranger princess in another true escape. I've also run into the Contrarion in the true ending cabin. I can't remember if that was the same run as the Stranger princess, though it would fit. He was excited to throw the blade out the window one last time.

The way she appears in that segment is the same way you first saw her.

Take-blade princess has different lines to leave-blade princess!

Also, aside from 'The Good Ending' achievement and the various proper ending resolutions, you can get one last outcome by just turning around and leaving every time you start a chapter 2. Worth giving a shot once, but it may be better to do it after you've already gotten a proper ending; just go back to an early save so you can skip through the dialogue you've already seen.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Hello thread, why am I a bird?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why not

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are you a bird? you've got lizardman limbs, a beak, and some kind of pointy, furry ears, based on the princess POV shots during the final dialogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Captain Invictus posted:

are you a bird? you've got lizardman limbs, a beak, and some kind of pointy, furry ears, based on the princess POV shots during the final dialogues.

You definitely have feathers, they're brought up a few times.