Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Invictus posted:

are you a bird? you've got lizardman limbs, a beak, and some kind of pointy, furry ears, based on the princess POV shots during the final dialogues.

Our very own David Attenborough covered this earlier

Whitenoise Poster posted:

You're on a path in the woods
And at the end of that path is a cabin.
And in the basement of that cabin is a princess.

and you are a horrible goose.

There can be no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Archenteron posted:

You definitely have feathers, they're brought up a few times.
so do dinosaurs. Maybe we're a dinosaur!

Attack on Princess posted:

Our very own David Attenborough covered this earlier

There can be no doubt.
:hmmyes:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Captain Invictus posted:

are you a bird? you've got lizardman limbs, a beak, and some kind of pointy, furry ears, based on the princess POV shots during the final dialogues.

My original assumption on seeing the MC's hand was that you're a dragon, the natural enemy of princesses. I guess there's not really anything in the game that contradicts this since dragons can look like whatever the heck you want them to as long as they're vaguely reptilian

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The suggested answer for why you definitely seem to be some kind of bird-like thing is that the narrator is some kind of bird-like being, so when he's describing you and your body he does it by relating to himself the most.
This is also why the mirrors you see in the various chapter 2s are seriously not actually there. They're the hero noticing the way the Narrator is observing the scene and that's manifesting in the hero's mind and view

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bewilderment posted:

The suggested answer for why you definitely seem to be some kind of bird-like thing is that the narrator is some kind of bird-like being, so when he's describing you and your body he does it by relating to himself the most.
This is also why the mirrors you see in the various chapter 2s are seriously not actually there. They're the hero noticing the way the Narrator is observing the scene and that's manifesting in the hero's mind and view

Thank you! I knew the mirrors were connected to the Narrator, but I didn't know what kind of metaphorical point the game was trying to make with the whole "wipe the mirror and it disappears" bit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Captain Invictus posted:

so do dinosaurs. Maybe we're a dinosaur!

:hmmyes:

So it's agreed that you're a bird.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
How long is this, I'm interested in doing a quick LP of it if I can.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Depends how much of it you want to show off. You can get to an ending in maybe 2-4 hours but that'll only be like a quarter of the game at best. If you want to completionist show every iteration of every route you can be at it for much, much longer.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Natural 20 posted:

Strongly depends on how much you listen to the voice-acting instead of clicking through the duller parts, too.

I did two completionist runs and some extra bits and Steam is putting my playtime at 6.3 hours. A full playthrough is probably less than half of that.

The game has enough content that on two full playthroughs you still will not have seen 100% everything, though you will be repeating some lines and branches.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I have 11 hours in this 2 hour game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Same. I didn't use saves and only skipped repeated dialogue. Getting all the endings/vessels took me roughly 11 hours too.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 28, 2023

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Fairly sure in games like this there's a mega ending for bringing all the types to her, but part of me wants to ask here first, dunno why as I'm still gonna 100% it - the premise of eternal recurrence has me thinking a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the concept.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm playing with my wife and she stayed up later than she wanted to because she was so engrossed

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nice, but not sure what that's got to do with the game

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The princess is my wife.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mymla posted:

The princess is my wife.

I didn't know, I'm so sorry for your loss.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Desdinova posted:

Fairly sure in games like this there's a mega ending for bringing all the types to her, but part of me wants to ask here first, dunno why as I'm still gonna 100% it - the premise of eternal recurrence has me thinking a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the concept.

It is not possible to bring the Shifting Mound everything in a single playthrough.

You need to beat the game by playing through it in a single continuous linear playthrough. The game does not 'remember' choices you make in an alternate save file the way something like Teenage Exocolonist does.

This means you can have a pretty radically different experience if you are a dedicated "I refuse to ever pick up the knife" player vs me, a "time to stabby stab" player on the first go following by picking whatever seemed interesting, and going something like Corpse, Deconstructed Damsel, bladeless Razor, Apotheosis on my first run.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anyway, watch this once you have completed the game at least once. Contains visual spoilers for all playthroughs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyQoIaOElok

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

bewilderment posted:

It is not possible to bring the Shifting Mound everything in a single playthrough.

You need to beat the game by playing through it in a single continuous linear playthrough. The game does not 'remember' choices you make in an alternate save file the way something like Teenage Exocolonist does.

This means you can have a pretty radically different experience if you are a dedicated "I refuse to ever pick up the knife" player vs me, a "time to stabby stab" player on the first go following by picking whatever seemed interesting, and going something like Corpse, Deconstructed Damsel, bladeless Razor, Apotheosis on my first run.

Good to know, I've played through three times and wasn't sure how many endings I have to discover to deliver everything. Such great characterisation of both the prot(ant?)agonist(s?).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lots of games lately about making you go "I can fix her."

I'm not complaining.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

slay the princess is about making her worse

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SirSamVimes posted:

slay the princess is about making her worse

She makes me worse.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Mymla posted:

I have 11 hours in this 2 hour game.

I feel like you could get a lot of hours into this game if you attempted to get every single recorded line of dialog, including the really small variations. Like some kind of insane person.

Captain Invictus posted:

:sickos:
did you make that yourself? it rules

Also it did take me weeks to reply but I did not make that, sadly, and I have no idea of the source, sorry.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I feel like you could get a lot of hours into this game if you attempted to get every single recorded line of dialog, including the really small variations. Like some kind of insane person.

There's a situation where it'll track how long it's been since you last played. The Princess' VA said they recorded dialogue for up to 1000 years of waiting.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I set my pc clock forward to 2033 and was pleasantly surprised the game noticed.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The amount of player reactivity is insane. I've 100%'d the game which in theory means I've seen it all but every now and then someone posts a CG or line that I never ran into and I'm flabbergasted at the sheer amount of content in this game.

This is my 2023 GOTY, which is wild considering I only really tried it because it was cheap and a friend recommended it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And again, the most impressive thing for me is that this is their side project, its not even their main game, it's what they built to take a break from developing their main game.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnar34 posted:

Narrator: This game loving sucks. It's a poorly written visual novel that relies entirely on "don't read about it before you play" - for the simple reason that the writing is mediocre and the dull "metaplot" has nothing to offer by modern perspectives. Complete poo poo, avoid.

skill issue

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while I've been cleaning, I've had these folks' playthrough of slay the princess playing in the background. It's a different one from other LPs as they finish the game, and then they go back and start experimenting, rather than leaving it as done.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL2JMDyz67wQ59jlhpnFUPp1ZWTuzknxC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtjF9hXVnr8&hd=1

It's two women, Gina and Allison, and they are both really, really funny and also really entertaining when it comes to discussing their decisions.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's my favorite lp for this game.

Hey but what does "you've grown/you've withered" mean? I still can't figure it out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

Hey but what does "you've grown/you've withered" mean? I still can't figure it out.

I think it gets hinted at in one of the routes The Wild can take.
Endgame spoilers: Since you're also a part of the god of change, the cycle of birth, growth, death and decay is inherent to your nature too. It's always the same pattern regardless of your route - it's not a result of something you did, but of something you are. At least, that's my reading of it.

Also seconding the Gina and Allison LP. Watching the first episode of that is what got me to buy this game in the first place!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

The cheevo text is the answer, it's the stages of a corpse. Grown, withered, unraveled is bloat, decay, and the remains. When the jig is up and the narrator imposed body of "you" is gone, the puppet master pulling the strings from behind can be seen

I think my favorite thing about the game is that it isn't desperate to show you every possible bit of content. There's enough so that people can have very different bits but it's happy to Get On With It

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 8, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hello i had never heard of this game, and when i saw this thread was stickied and the first post said "I highly recommend diving straight in and do not google it, nothing but spoilers" i immediately bought it without looking into it even slightly.

played it yesterday. 100% blind (not even glancing at the steam trailer) made for a pretty fun experience, this game has me pretty hooked now. going by that routes flowchart, my original choices were razor, wraith (nightmare edition), wraith (specter edition), and damsel. first time through i was very cautious and spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was up without sacrificing my own safety, and that ended with us just stabbing each other a ton lol. i basically just tried to bring the princess a variety of perspectives after that. i think the nightmare was definitely the most scary/visually interesting one, and definitely a really good one to get in my first couple of routes (also very much appreciate that he never mentions the eyes).

i think my favorite bit of writing is going spectre and stabbing yourself, and the princess just goes "what the gently caress? you're so intent on stopping me from seeing the outside that you'd kill yourself? loving why?

i liked the ending but didn't love it. i mostly wish there was a bit more meat to it than you and the princess just being a concept. like for all the questions i had about the narrator and the setup and why all this is happening the answers just get reduced down to "some guy made it up and all of this is an easy, convenient fabrication, there's nothing more to it." at least give me some story about how the narrator trapped a god in a thing and split the god in two, what that original person's deal was, just some kind of backstory or something to contextualize the premise of the game. idk maybe there's some narrator mirror questions i haven't explored but my first time i got a bunch of the ones that sounded like they'd lead to answers. the extreme vagueness of the results of the ending doesn't really help, though it's not like you could meaningfully depict these metaphysical concepts so eh. my original ending was slaying the princess (you know, just in case all of this is a ruse too and the game's about to yell at me if i don't slay the princess when i finally have the opportunity to for real slay the princess) and creating some new reality without change, and all the voices come back and hate me for how i talked to them in the end of route mirror segments, i guess? it felt a bit like for doing exactly what the narrator wanted and the game is most centrally about, there really wasn't very much reason/justification to actually go with the narrator's plan, dude just has no substance or pathos besides waving vaguely at the concept of death, and i only made that choice to try to be clever and see how his plan panned out, as i assumed there'd be a bit more to it that way.

all that being said i did like the weird metaphysical conflict being explored, and being able to argue with the princess over the significance of the routes that made her was cool. it'd have been nice if she got more of a personality as you fed her more perspectives, her and the narrator are the closest things to a character you can latch onto.

also at some point one of the voices asks how hard would it be to just throw the knife at the princess to slay her at a distance (the given answer is "not very hard, probably pretty easy" lmao), and i'm disappointed that to my knowledge there is no route where you can do this. would pay for a dlc that's just a "chuck the knife at her" added divergence in the story if you start going down the razor path and decide to play it safe.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Played this game just before New Years. Really enjoyed it, though I feel like I ended up with a weird, or at least, unique route through the game.

I started with The Stranger due to immediately not trusting the narrator and going Stanley Parable with it. Then the timeline broke, along with it the Princess. Oops.

Second go I still didn't trust the narrator, but wanted to at least meet the princess without breaking everything. Cautiously tried to release her, resisted the narrator trying to force my hand, and she killed me.... poorly. Tried to rescue her again, but began to doubt she was real the more she parroted my wishes and literally became a cardboard cutout. Killed her, and then burned to death with The Grey.

At this point I was starting to put together what the Vessels were, and that the Princess was evolving based on my expectations of her. So this run I tried to give her as much agency as I could, and wound up on the Tower path somehow. I think I was trying to convince her to fight for herself, and it worked way to well, and giving up part way through took us to some weird/kinky places. In an attempt to save the world from the vain goddess I inadvertently created, I tried to kill her, died, and broke the world. Bit of an over correction. I confronted The Fury to see if there was any salvaging this, and went splat.

I then tried the gentler tact again, but due to having resisted the Narrator before, couldn't this time. In an attempt to make up for betraying her, I gave The Witch full blind trust. I figured this would end badly, but had nothing to lose. I was right! She killed me, but doomed herself at the same time.

My final go I figured out how to thread the needle, so to speak. Took the knife to give her an edge. Helped cut her free. Resisted. Was killed well this time. I then successfully broke The Prisoner out in what is my favorite part of the game.

After all of this I'd already decided to rescue the Princess (or whatever was absorbing the Vessels) no matter what, and this was reinforced by finally meeting the Narrator face to face. But during what I thought was a pleasant talk with the Shifting Mound suddenly turned into a violent debate? This and the previous breaking of the mirror was my least favorite part of the game, as the metaphysics of the world was far less interesting than the metaphor and metatext that had come before. And getting it all dumped on me in two big expositions didn't help either.

Thankfully I followed the Hero's Voice back to the cabin and the game got back on track. Tossed the knife to the delight of the Contrarian, found The Stranger in the basement, and we happily left together. All in all, it was a very satisfying ending.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

also at some point one of the voices asks how hard would it be to just throw the knife at the princess to slay her at a distance (the given answer is "not very hard, probably pretty easy" lmao), and i'm disappointed that to my knowledge there is no route where you can do this. would pay for a dlc that's just a "chuck the knife at her" added divergence in the story if you start going down the razor path and decide to play it safe.

Well, there's a content pack coming this year at some point. It could happen!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

no loving way

i was kind of joking about dlc that's sick that they're making more

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I made my wife and two friends play this and it was really interesting how nobody got the same first Princess.

Me - Eye of the Needle
Wife - Wraith
Friend #1 - Razor
Friend #2 - Adversary

What an incredible game. I’ve done three full runs so I’ve seen about 10-12 princesses (got some duplicates) and really enjoying it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the "turn around and leave 5 times in a row" content was much less interesting than i was hoping for

leaving 3 or 4 times and then going back on the normal route is probably more interesting tbh, when i did that after 2 times i got some character and emotion out of the shifting mound which was cool

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
When you think about it, this is the princess maker sequel we all never knew we wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wus22Sz8dg

they're getting live orchestra recordings for the pristine cut for some of the music. apparently this main theme they're actually going to leave alone as they prefer the sound of the original for the purposes of the game.

apparently the pristine cut extends the length of the game's script by about 25%, and includes substantial additions to the Fury, Den, and Apotheosis princesses. they're also altering the climax significantly.

you could read the devs talk about it instead of me! https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1989270/view/4134938965482435493