Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Strongly disagree. There are some quality edges but the interior D line is lacking. We get one maybe 2 1st round level DT/NT a year.

I strongly disagree with this. I think Dline is absurdly powerful right now and there's a plethora of quality DTs in the league. It's at the point where someone like Vita Vea isn't arguably the best NT somehow. OLine have it so rough guys are just nutso good. I don't know how someone blocks Myles Garrett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You don't. The only thing I've seen be successful against Garrett is running and throwing right at him because he's in the back field so quick that it's hard for him to flip back the other way.

One of like two pass rushers all time to live up to being a #1 overall pick.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love big footballers. Offensive line, defensive line, love ‘em both :)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Grey Id love your opinion on the first round tackles, mainly the Georgia and bama kids.

Do you see them falling to the 20s where Miami is likely picking? Or am I overhyping them in my own mind?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You're overhyping a late first olineman in your mind?

JC Latham is a huge man that hasn't given up a sack yet but got kinda abused by Princely Umanmielen. He shimmied Tyler Baron a lot last week which is another first round edge. He's similar to Darnell Wright last year in that he sets with his outside foot and forces people around. He has trouble sustaining blocks.

Mims is a bit taller and slimmer than Latham. He's got decent movement and could fit well in zone blocking despite his size. He could probably play left tackle. Decent slide and good use of hands. Definitely has a lot of power and can flatten people in the run game. He's kind of too aggressive and doesn't have good pocket presence.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

You're overhyping a late first olineman in your mind?

JC Latham is a huge man that hasn't given up a sack yet but got kinda abused by Princely Umanmielen. He shimmied Tyler Baron a lot last week which is another first round edge. He's similar to Darnell Wright last year in that he sets with his outside foot and forces people around. He has trouble sustaining blocks.

Mims is a bit taller and slimmer than Latham. He's got decent movement and could fit well in zone blocking despite his size. He could probably play left tackle. Decent slide and good use of hands. Definitely has a lot of power and can flatten people in the run game. He's kind of too aggressive and doesn't have good pocket presence.

Doltos beat me to these although I would note with Latham that I’m not sure at points on the tape how much he gets told to punch over drive with how Bama has coached some of their underneath/screen game. They got very very space happy with their OL drift in the Tua era and some of those coaching points stuck around.

Mims looks a lot to me like what we all wanted Trevor Penning to be.

Honestly I don’t even like Fashanu that much at the top of the draft. He got power rushed pretty consistently against Ohio State and wasn’t anchoring well at all. This feels like a class with a lot of coaching issues, even more than usual.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Which one of you rolled out DE&I initiatives for Walter Football? Caleb over Drake. Shedeur and Rattler over Ewers and Nix? I see Charlie wrote it but usually Walt gives it a one over and gives some bell curve grades and commentary. Not even any made up character concerns on Rattler from him being a high school reality tv star

If he isn’t super hurt, we have a serious chance at a first round white corner this year with Cooper Dejean. I can’t wait until one of their interns lets Walt know how the paper bag test goes there.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is he scrappy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheGreyGhost posted:

Doltos beat me to these although I would note with Latham that I’m not sure at points on the tape how much he gets told to punch over drive with how Bama has coached some of their underneath/screen game. They got very very space happy with their OL drift in the Tua era and some of those coaching points stuck around.

Mims looks a lot to me like what we all wanted Trevor Penning to be.

Honestly I don’t even like Fashanu that much at the top of the draft. He got power rushed pretty consistently against Ohio State and wasn’t anchoring well at all. This feels like a class with a lot of coaching issues, even more than usual.

At the very least I don’t see his posts unless they’re quoted so appreciate that!

Good info so glad I saw it. Thanks thread
Edit while you’re here - is center class any good? Seems up in the air if Miami sticks with Williams T Center or shifts him back to guard

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 21, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
He looks at every single one of my posts and tries to instigate in every thread. It's beyond annoying but mods don't care.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Amy Pole Her posted:

is center class any good? Seems up in the air if Miami sticks with Williams T Center or shifts him back to guard

The only names I've seen thrown around as possible starters/day 2 guys are Zach Frazier from WVU and Sedrick Van Pran from Georgia. There are some other OL guys who could end up kicking inside to center (Graham Barton is one dude Dane Brugler shouted out in his recent top 50), but as far as pure Cs go this class isn't super strong or deep

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Quick WR thoughts

Malik Nabers doesn't run routes and doesn't care about them. He's super strong and great after the catch. Could probably slot him anywhere and he'd succeed. Keon Coleman also doesn't run routes but is just an insane athlete. So many highlight reels. Great jumping ability and body control. Rome Odunze is like a faster Julio Jones. He doesn't lose at the point of catch. I constantly see him pulling down contested throws from Penix like it's nothing. I think he's going to make the biggest jump. Troy Franklin is speedy fast and a great route runner. Just beats everyone to the spot then punishes them with a quick couple extra yards. He's pretty thin but that doesn't matter. Has amazing hands for a speedster, just snatches poo poo. MHJ is just all around. Can't find a fault in his game other than he's not the greatest YAC guy. Best player in the draft by far, might be better than Calvin and right behind Randy Moss coming out as a prospect. Emeka Egbuka is almost as good somehow. I think if he wasn't on OSU he might be the 2nd WR off the board. Just a complete package of size and speed with great separation. He just does everything right with really good discipline for a college WR. He needs to get a bit better at route running but it's nitpicking. Xavier Worthy is going to run like a 4.25. When used in space he's pretty elite. Can punish like a punt return when in the open field. Skinniest guy in the draft with none of the leverage that DeVonta Smith has. Johnny Wilson is surprisingly agile for a tall guy. He's great at breaking and out of routes, great after the catch. He has insane ball skills and will make some nutso catches. He's not the fastest but he's fast enough. Doesn't really get separation but I think that's just because he's so big, not from a lack of talent.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nice nugget write up. Johnny Wilson is frustrating because he does that Mike Evans thing where he'll drop easy ones on occasion but makes insane catches. I could see Odunze being WR2 as well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Other than McKinstry, which CBs are a candidate to convert to safety? And how does the safety class look in general?

Packers are in severe need of a ballhawking, field-roaming free safety.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Other than McKinstry, which CBs are a candidate to convert to safety? And how does the safety class look in general?

Packers are in severe need of a ballhawking, field-roaming free safety.

The safety class at this point looks solid. A couple dudes slotted to go back of the first or early second.

There’s no elite Eric Berry or Earl Thomas kind of safety talent that is worthy of GBs (currently) top ten draft pick.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Top ballhawk safety is Kamren Kinchens and I’d be happy if Seattle drafted him at at 22nd overall, their current draft spot. But I also place a higher positional value for safeties than the market does.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Doltos posted:

Quick WR thoughts

Malik Nabers doesn't run routes and doesn't care about them. He's super strong and great after the catch. Could probably slot him anywhere and he'd succeed. Keon Coleman also doesn't run routes but is just an insane athlete. So many highlight reels. Great jumping ability and body control. Rome Odunze is like a faster Julio Jones. He doesn't lose at the point of catch. I constantly see him pulling down contested throws from Penix like it's nothing. I think he's going to make the biggest jump. Troy Franklin is speedy fast and a great route runner. Just beats everyone to the spot then punishes them with a quick couple extra yards. He's pretty thin but that doesn't matter. Has amazing hands for a speedster, just snatches poo poo. MHJ is just all around. Can't find a fault in his game other than he's not the greatest YAC guy. Best player in the draft by far, might be better than Calvin and right behind Randy Moss coming out as a prospect. Emeka Egbuka is almost as good somehow. I think if he wasn't on OSU he might be the 2nd WR off the board. Just a complete package of size and speed with great separation. He just does everything right with really good discipline for a college WR. He needs to get a bit better at route running but it's nitpicking. Xavier Worthy is going to run like a 4.25. When used in space he's pretty elite. Can punish like a punt return when in the open field. Skinniest guy in the draft with none of the leverage that DeVonta Smith has. Johnny Wilson is surprisingly agile for a tall guy. He's great at breaking and out of routes, great after the catch. He has insane ball skills and will make some nutso catches. He's not the fastest but he's fast enough. Doesn't really get separation but I think that's just because he's so big, not from a lack of talent.

Veach please get 2 of these dudes somehow

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tight end absolutely has to be a priority, likely a hair behind OT

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

Veach please get 2 of these dudes somehow

It’s only fair. Mahomes deserves good things.

Normally I’d say do a big ‘ole Falcons-Julio style trade, but there are so many good wrs that idk if they need to go up into the top 5.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give me the best names.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Dane Brugler gave Marvin Harrison jr the Larry Fitzgerald comp

wawawewa

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

After single-handedly saving UW in the Corvalis rain, Odunze is going to get himself paid and the man deserves it. One of those dudes who just makes the catch.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The thing that worries me about Odunze is that so many of his highlight catches are made with his body. Admittedly, in a bunch of those situations catching with his body to protect the ball was the right move. It just makes me question his hands and ability to high point since I haven't seen him do it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The thing that worries me about Odunze is that so many of his highlight catches are made with his body. Admittedly, in a bunch of those situations catching with his body to protect the ball was the right move. It just makes me question his hands and ability to high point since I haven't seen him do it.

I would normally agree that body catches would be a red flag, but Rome has elite ball tracking and elite body control to adjust for the catch. Many of his *relatively* body-ish catches are caught that way so that he can protect the ball or maintain his momentum. He’s so freaking good. The movement is so fluid.

And also I think he has more than enough contested / high points to assuage any concerns about body catching.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm sure you know better than me, since all I've ever seen are highlights. I love everything I've seen Odunze do. The high hands above the defense catch is one thing I haven't seen him do is all. He has all the hallmarks of a WR that falls to the 2nd round and makes 32 teams look stupid. Strong AJ Brown vibes.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Dane Brugler gave Marvin Harrison jr the Larry Fitzgerald comp

wawawewa

Lmao if you’re really really trying to find something about MHJ to fuss about, he has like 1 concentration drop a game, making Larry like the only generational guy in the last 20 years that I can’t draw a line on.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm sure you know better than me, since all I've ever seen are highlights. I love everything I've seen Odunze do. The high hands above the defense catch is one thing I haven't seen him do is all. He has all the hallmarks of a WR that falls to the 2nd round and makes 32 teams look stupid. Strong AJ Brown vibes.

He’s somewhere between that and Olave on the spectrum. That offense does such good work on seam and spacing routes that I just don’t think he’s even had to go directly over a guy in coveragemuch since he’s so slick in getting around guys and penix specializes in layer and back shoulder throws. Your worst case with him feels like Golden Tate.

None of these dudes are like Quentin Johnston catch mechanics though which raises the floor on the class. Coleman and Nabers both high point well. Emeka’s interesting because I would honestly tell him to stay back a year since he could be a top 2-3 receiver next year but is probably WR 4-5 in this class after his injury issues.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If im looking for a solid blocking and receiving tight end, early to mid rounds, would I be in luck?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

If im looking for a solid blocking and receiving tight end, early to mid rounds, would I be in luck?

Just draft whatever tight end is coming out of Iowa

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

TheGreyGhost posted:

Lmao if you’re really really trying to find something about MHJ to fuss about, he has like 1 concentration drop a game, making Larry like the only generational guy in the last 20 years that I can’t draw a line on.

He’s somewhere between that and Olave on the spectrum. That offense does such good work on seam and spacing routes that I just don’t think he’s even had to go directly over a guy in coveragemuch since he’s so slick in getting around guys and penix specializes in layer and back shoulder throws. Your worst case with him feels like Golden Tate.

None of these dudes are like Quentin Johnston catch mechanics though which raises the floor on the class. Coleman and Nabers both high point well. Emeka’s interesting because I would honestly tell him to stay back a year since he could be a top 2-3 receiver next year but is probably WR 4-5 in this class after his injury issues.

Coleman is going to be an insane contested catch receiving threat for someone, that dude is such an absurd athlete and he high points insanely well. Lob it to him every time you get in the red zone just don’t ask him to run routes with any precision lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I love WRs that are like yea he's not going to run a crisp route but who cares

It's like Maxx Crosby DEs that just belligerently rush forward without any thought or care. It's the superior way to play football.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tight end absolutely has to be a priority, likely a hair behind OT

Jaheim Bell is a very Miami Dolphins kind of tight end IMO

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Doltos posted:

It's like Maxx Crosby DEs that just belligerently rush forward without any thought or care. It's the superior way to play football.

I never understood how satisfying that playstyle is to watch and how effective it can be until the Bucs got Evans. It loving rules. Coleman has that same vibe.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I miss Anquan Boldin so much. The Ravens deserve all their WR woes for trading him away for a 6th round pick.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TheGreyGhost posted:

Correct, my point with that is that every elite prospect someone brings up short of megatron had a weakness that he doesn’t. He plays like super Amari Cooper in that sense.

I mean, that OL isn’t helping but I don’t know many teams where the expectation on a route concept is “I’ll throw to you after 5 seconds”. Their passes take longer to develop than an end around, and Lincoln absolutely refuses to run the ball the last couple years which means no one respects their play action or the MOF threat from them.

He had better pocket presence at Oklahoma when he was just going off pure instinct honestly. The more reads and responsibilities he’s given the more paralyzed he looks trying to make decisions. Everyone hit Fields for the time he took on option routes on certain vertical looks—Caleb makes him look like Brady on anything past 10 yards.

Yeah, I feel that Caleb is definitely in superman mode all the time because there have been a lot of games where 2-3 punts in a game means the defense giving up more TDs than they could keep up with.

But I also think a lot of his performance last year was bouyed by always having Jordan Addison as a bailout option. USC's offense was noticeably worse last season after he got injured

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Hamhandler posted:

Jaheim Bell is a very Miami Dolphins kind of tight end IMO

Id absolutely love him for biased reasons

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

Honestly, I’m getting to a point where I’m occasionally grading guys down on DL for playing with good technique if they’re less productive than just some random dudes who flail. There’s a school of thought that elite 2-gap guys should basically play with no technique in mind and be purely reactive to how an OL plays them and I kind of get it for odd-front or hybrid looks now. It’s what’s so funny to me about Tuimoloau and Sawyer with Ohio state this year—least technical edge guys out of Ohio state in eons but JT just guesses run/pass and is so disruptive that the linebackers just know “oh poo poo he overran” and cover for him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

Honestly, I’m getting to a point where I’m occasionally grading guys down on DL for playing with good technique if they’re less productive than just some random dudes who flail. There’s a school of thought that elite 2-gap guys should basically play with no technique in mind and be purely reactive to how an OL plays them and I kind of get it for odd-front or hybrid looks now. It’s what’s so funny to me about Tuimoloau and Sawyer with Ohio state this year—least technical edge guys out of Ohio state in eons but JT just guesses run/pass and is so disruptive that the linebackers just know “oh poo poo he overran” and cover for him.

Yea in a way that's just good football too because Eichenberg and Chambers' run fits are solid. If you trust your team to be in an area why wouldn't you just do one job extremely well?

Another thing to mention about JT and Sawyer is their sack depth. If the idea is that sacks are horrific for an offense to function then you can make it more horrific by sacking someone so far back it might as well be a turnover. Sawyer and Tuimoloau have great get off and take harsh angles to the QB. I think JT averages something like 10 yards a sack which is absurd. If you just catch someone with their pants down like that it's way better than trying to develop some longer, prettier pass move.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

Isn't this Wade Philips basic defensive philosophy for his 34 front? Just have your linemen crash and cause chaos as much as possible, edge will contain and your linebackers in the middle will flow and make the actual plays.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nervous posted:

Bo Nix will be Geno's understudy next year.

I am so eager to see where Bo Nix goes and to see how it either disastrously fails or somehow ends up working out of nowhere. I have watched this man for so many years and I still do not understand him.

e: ha, I didn't read the thread past the third post and I see we've been over this territory already.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Dane's Mock 1.0 is out. I forget, can we post archive.ph links here?

9 OT's, very goony
Jet's take a TE :haw: