Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Docjowles posted:

They already have an all pro LT and a fine RT though. Like pass blocking from the tackles is objectively not the problem with the Chargers' roster

their RT is absolutely not "fine". he's firmly "i wish this guy could be our backup swing tackle or play G"

i assume they plan to move him to the interior if they don't get any other o-lineman in the draft

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

their RT is absolutely not "fine". he's firmly "i wish this guy could be our backup swing tackle"

Ok but is that a problem you fix with a career LT taken at 5 overall?

I mean an insanely good tackle on the roster is not a bad problem to have but I still feel like it was a weird move when they could have addressed this issue in the second round and their WR depth chart is a gaping chasm. Harbaugh has been telling on himself all offseason this is going to be a run first offense and I hate that for Herbie

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 26, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I mean the Chargers do have another pick at the top of the 2nd round so they very well might go receiver there or TE in the 3rd.

Gonna go ahead and write down Roman Wilson at 37 in ink

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Gonna go ahead and write down Roman Wilson at 37 in ink

was thinking the same thing or like a surprise drafting of Ben Sinnott

Docjowles posted:

I mean an insanely good tackle on the roster is not a bad problem to have but I still feel like it was a weird move when they could have addressed this issue in the second round and their WR depth chart is a gaping chasm. Harbaugh has been telling on himself all offseason this is going to be a run first offense and I hate that for Herbie

Idk, I don't hate it. Also should be noted Slater's only under contract through next season

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

mcmagic posted:

You can't be upest about drafting o line pretty much ever.

can I be mildly perturbed

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not for nothing but I raised this earlier in the draft thread but...

If Penix sits for two years, the dead money for cousins over the next 2 of his 4 year deal if they cut him would be about 20 and the another 12 million the year after. Penix would still be ten years younger at that point than cousins is today. Penix is a little older and cousins is signed for 4 years, but when you break down the numbers it's a lot less crazy if your plan is to sit him for a while and ease him into starting.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Docjowles posted:

I think that if the Chargers plan was to go OT and WR in the first two rounds, taking the OT first was the smart play. There are still a lot of good WRs left but the run on tackles in the first round was nuts.

I don't think Alt should have any issues moving to the right side. I trust in Harbaugh and the OL coaches to help him make the transition.

And I still have to believe that Herbert is going to be throwing more than people think. if Harbaugh wanted to just run what he had in Michigan, he could have just taken the Commanders job, drafted JJ McCarthy, and gone wild. He took this job because of Justin Herbert, I refuse to believe he's going to take the ball out of his hands and run the ball 40 times a game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Idk, I don't hate it. Also should be noted Slater's only under contract through next season

I think a contract is coming for Slater sooner rather than later.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I think that if the Chargers plan was to go OT and WR in the first two rounds, taking the OT first was the smart play. There are still a lot of good WRs left but the run on tackles in the first round was nuts.

I don't think Alt should have any issues moving to the right side. I trust in Harbaugh and the OL coaches to help him make the transition.

And I still have to believe that Herbert is going to be throwing more than people think. if Harbaugh wanted to just run what he had in Michigan, he could have just taken the Commanders job, drafted JJ McCarthy, and gone wild. He took this job because of Justin Herbert, I refuse to believe he's going to take the ball out of his hands and run the ball 40 times a game.
Kind of a mixed bag on this.

Am a strong proponent on getting more blocking for Herbs as him exploding has been quite the dilemma but it got a lot harder to be in that camp once they lost both Allen and Williams.

But I'm not gonna over react like they just drafted Penix or something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Kind of a mixed bag on this.

Am a strong proponent on getting more blocking for Herbs as him exploding has been quite the dilemma but it got a lot harder to be in that camp once they lost both Allen and Williams.

But I'm not gonna over react like they just drafted Penix or something.

We'll see how day 2 pans out. Getting a WR at 37 and maybe one at 105 or 110 would help a lot.

Or do a thing and trade for Tee or something

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dejan Bimble posted:

I honestly think they mollify him by telling him Cousins is going to miss the opening few games of the season, and he'll get some starting reps.

Cause Cousins tore his achilles on oct 29, probably had surgery a couple days afterwards. That means the season will be like 8 games in by the time he clears a year, which is a normal time to just "be back" from an achilles, with the full recovery taking 1.5-2 years, not full as in status quo ante, but as good as it's going to get.

then why did they pay Kirk all that money

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I should not be surprised by this but I am seeing a lot of Joe "alt right power" on social media :ughh:

Not because of anything about Joe Alt, just idiots riffing on his name

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

BlindSite posted:

Not for nothing but I raised this earlier in the draft thread but...

If Penix sits for two years, the dead money for cousins over the next 2 of his 4 year deal if they cut him would be about 20 and the another 12 million the year after. Penix would still be ten years younger at that point than cousins is today. Penix is a little older and cousins is signed for 4 years, but when you break down the numbers it's a lot less crazy if your plan is to sit him for a while and ease him into starting.

I might be the only person who likes the move. Well, like might be a little strong but I understand it. I find it a little funny at least, and a lot surprising. But quarterback is such an important position, they've got a recently signed veteran who's getting older and is coming off a serious injury, and they didn't think there would be someone of Penix's quality available later this draft or in the next draft or two. They're tired of subpar quarterback play ruining their potential.

At the end of the day, if it works they'll look like geniuses. If it doesn't they'll look like morons. So be it, but I have no problem with getting the guy they like when they were able to.

Kirk will get over it and fall back into line like the good little boy he is.

a neat cape posted:

If the run game really really works, he's gonna do it a ton. If it doesn't, he'll resort to passing. This is pretty true of any coach, but I do think he wants to change the image of the team to a more defense-centric, run game, ball control offense. Which will be good for Herbert if he can accomplish that.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Docjowles posted:

Ross I appreciate how zen you are being about this outcome for the Chargers

Justin Herbert is going to hand the ball off like 30 times a game to Blake Corum and we are all going to have to learn to like it

re-appearing in this thread like a pokemon in wild grass

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

then why did they pay Kirk all that money

lmao this. either they didn’t realize how much they’d love Penix, they found out Kirk is more broken than we think, or they’re so shell shocked from having no QBs that they paid $100M to Kirk to be a bridge QB

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's pretty simple, the Falcons signed Cousins to a megadeal even though they think he will die on the field before the contract is up. Their planned replacement is an older college QB who is already banged up. It makes no sense on any level and everyone in the Falcons office looks stupid.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

oh gently caress aw poo poo. the chargers won another super bowl off the back of blake corum single handedly carrying the entire ravens defense across the endzone. this loving SUCKS *immediately registers a sockpuppet on the chargers fan forum*

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Radia posted:

oh gently caress aw poo poo. the chargers won another super bowl off the back of blake corum single handedly carrying the entire ravens defense across the endzone. this loving SUCKS *immediately registers a sockpuppet on the chargers fan forum*

i realized right after posting this could be misinterpreted as me being a chargers hater for some reason. this is not the case.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just ahve the head coach call cousins and tell him the big JC was tested too and its part of gods plan or whatever and he'll be back to himself.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

lmao this. either they didn’t realize how much they’d love Penix, they found out Kirk is more broken than we think, or they’re so shell shocked from having no QBs that they paid $100M to Kirk to be a bridge QB

Usually you meet the player you draft in the first round in my experience.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
lol at the Broncos

lmao at the Falcons

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Also still loling about the Falcons

We need a drawplay with a grey-haired Kirk on crutches being surprised by an also grey-haired rookie also on crutches

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Harlock posted:

To be fair, drafting 32 year old Bo Nix with a 1st round pick was equally funny

He’s a full year younger than Penix, which I have always found amusing.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Still happy the Jets ate their vegetables last night after missing out on Odunze (gently caress the Falcons for being lunatics, btw).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm all in on PEEN

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Still happy the Jets ate their vegetables last night after missing out on Odunze (gently caress the Falcons for being lunatics, btw).
Once Odunze wasn't possible, Fashanu was the best pick. I wanted him way more than one of the borderline guards.

Package 1-2 of the 4ths and the 3rd to move up into the mid-2nd for a WR. I know JetsTwitter seems to be in on Malachi Corley but I also like Ja'Lynn Polk.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Once Odunze wasn't possible, Fashanu was the best pick. I wanted him way more than one of the borderline guards.

Package 1-2 of the 4ths and the 3rd to move up into the mid-2nd for a WR. I know JetsTwitter seems to be in on Malachi Corley but I also like Ja'Lynn Polk.

Lots of fun WRs on the board, but not that many went in Round 1 and there is going to be a run on them right away in Round 2 I bet. Not sure if the Jets can actually get up that far. They'll have to get creative IMO--maybe there is a veteran out there they can trade for.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Cardinals drafted a good player. After not getting Quinnen Williams and trading out of Will Anderson last year, it feels nice to say that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I don't get not liking the Alt pick. You have two stud tackles. If it was JC Latham, that would be nuts, but Chargers got the best tackle in the draft.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

my deranged broncos fan buddy was despondent about the bo nix pick for about ten minutes then started getting hyped.
Here’s what he said:

“Apparently bo nix had the highest completion percentage of all time in college football and also played the most games of any player in history, this is a bo nix fan chat now.”

I don’t have the heart to tell him that playing the most college games of any player in history is traditionally not regarded as an indicator of professional success and the completion percentage is because he rarely throws it more than 3 yards.

his ability to get hyped for his team every year is equal parts admirable and scary. every year it’s “dude the vets LOVE these rookies. And I don’t think they’re just saying that this year.” as a giants fan I have fallen down the well of misery.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://x.com/dmrussini/status/1783707303624966238?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

my deranged broncos fan buddy was despondent about the bo nix pick for about ten minutes then started getting hyped.
Here’s what he said:

“Apparently bo nix had the highest completion percentage of all time in college football and also played the most games of any player in history, this is a bo nix fan chat now.”

I don’t have the heart to tell him that playing the most college games of any player in history is traditionally not regarded as an indicator of professional success and the completion percentage is because he rarely throws it more than 3 yards.

his ability to get hyped for his team every year is equal parts admirable and scary. every year it’s “dude the vets LOVE these rookies. And I don’t think they’re just saying that this year.” as a giants fan I have fallen down the well of misery.

That’s why Colt McCoy set the league on fire!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Oof Herm Edwards...

https://x.com/BudElliott3/status/1783816207553958214

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sataere posted:

I don't get not liking the Alt pick. You have two stud tackles. If it was JC Latham, that would be nuts, but Chargers got the best tackle in the draft.

They got a franchise left tackle to play a position that you can fill in the second round and should have taken Rome. I LOVE Joe Alt and I'm sitting here extremely glad the Chargers didn't take Rome to haunt us other AFCW teams for the next 5 years

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Docjowles posted:

The lions had a great LT then drafted Sewell, moved Sewell to RT, and profited greatly. Including eventually a great passing offense with a mediocre QB.

OTs are the second most important position in football. Having elite Left and Right tackles is terrific.

You mention that they could have addressed RT in the second round but they will also be able to address WR in the second round. Plenty of solid options left.

Sure, we can debate if Nabers is a better prospect than Alt, but it’s close enough that it doesn’t seem like a big whiff either way.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean at least it wasn’t Latham.

Jeremiah’s mock draft is looking less insane in hindsight

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

We'll see how day 2 pans out. Getting a WR at 37 and maybe one at 105 or 110 would help a lot.

Or do a thing and trade for Tee or something

Agreed. It seems plausible that they could get two immediately serviceable starters at WR if they double dip in the second and third, with a little luck.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ve made the post in several threads now, but there’s 0% chance Kirk plays all 4 seasons.

Kirk’s contract is actually relatively easy to get out of after year 2 and painful but not fatal to get out of after year 1. The painful impact of dead cap would be somewhat mitigated by the fact that they’d ostensibly have a starting QB on a rookie deal.

It’s still a lol, but it’s not cataclysmic for the Falcons, imo.

*assuming OverTheCap is correct

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
I’m still baffled by the hype of “oof, next years QB class will be rough” It’s probably down from this year since there’s not an obvious Caleb/Maye where I see an obvious first rounder a year out, but it’s a full year, and guys like Beck and Ewers, while they would be like QB4 this year, are still better prospects than like Pickett was a couple drafts ago. It’s going to be down but we’ve had worse classes in very recent history.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Loving the Byron Murphy pick for the seahawks. Mcdonald has been quoted as saying he wants the defense to be "a wall" and I day BUILD THE WALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

I’m still baffled by the hype of “oof, next years QB class will be rough” It’s probably down from this year since there’s not an obvious Caleb/Maye where I see an obvious first rounder a year out, but it’s a full year, and guys like Beck and Ewers, while they would be like QB4 this year, are still better prospects than like Pickett was a couple drafts ago. It’s going to be down but we’ve had worse classes in very recent history.

“Better than Pickett” ain’t worth a kick in the pants!!!