Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like Drake Maye is getting underrated at this point and I’d rather the Patriots not draft him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What. how the gently caress is Drake Maye Daniel Jones.

Hold the gently caress on.

I need someone to actually explain the similarities in their profile as prospects, other than being doofy white dudes?

That is an insane comp.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Rivers wasn’t an athlete. Penix is an athlete.

Penix is a less accurate more beefy Tua

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

I feel like Drake Maye is getting underrated at this point and I’d very much like for him to fall to the Patriots

:hmmyes: It’s probably all nonsense but I will be thrilled if the Commanders take Daniels and Maye falls into our lap

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TFF Seems way lower on Maye than the general consensus in the media and scouting nerds that I keep reading and its throwing me off. I can't decide if its Herbert syndrome and people are just missing the forest for the trees.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Penix is a less accurate more beefy Tua

So Tebow?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BlindSite posted:

TFF Seems way lower on Maye than the general consensus in the media and scouting nerds that I keep reading and its throwing me off. I can't decide if its Herbert syndrome and people are just missing the forest for the trees.

The media smear campaign didn't work on Caleb so it's moved to Drake

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Tebow’s farts could knock down Tua… and..
Wow actually Penix is kinda like tebow

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
that wasn't a hypothetical.

I legitimately have some concerns with Maye, I think most of his problems are definitely fixable(he gets very careless from time to time with his footwork and mechanics which leads to probably a bit too many welp throws), and he probably has Farve/Jay Cutler/Josh Allen Brain. Which is always somewhat of a worry.

But he's still pretty easily QB 2 for me.

But loving Daniel Jones????

Maye attacked downfield far more than Daniel Jones who was far more of a check-down merchant, has a significantly better arm. More willing to make throws into tight windows. Better accuracy

what in gods name are you seeing on Drake Maye's tape/statistical profile, that comps him to Daniel Jones. I'm just incredulous.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

what does this even mean? Coming out of college, Rivers was bigger, taller, and had more rushing attempts and yards his junior and senior years (neither was really a rusher). Rivers had a slower 40-yard dash, pretty meaningless for either player.

Their passing stats in college were surprisingly similar: passer ratings of 144-146, completion percentages of 63.x, 13,xxx yards, 1,xxxx completions, christ they were even within 1 TD of each other, 95 and 96, while having the same # of INTs. The Rivers comp seems... like a good starting point?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/philip-rivers-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-penix-jr-1.html

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pmchem posted:

what does this even mean? Coming out of college, Rivers was bigger, taller, and had more rushing attempts and yards his junior and senior years (neither was really a rusher). Rivers had a slower 40-yard dash, pretty meaningless for either player.

Their passing stats in college were surprisingly similar: passer ratings of 144-146, completion percentages of 63.x, 13,xxx yards, 1,xxxx completions, christ they were even within 1 TD of each other, 95 and 96, while having the same # of INTs. The Rivers comp seems... like a good starting point?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/philip-rivers-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-penix-jr-1.html

Welcome to enjoying football and sports in general friend.

When someone says a basic thing such as “he’s an athlete” they typically mean that in reference to their… ya know.. athletic ability.

His inability to capitalize on that doesn’t change that it exists. Similar to how not stupid people ask really stupid questions sometimes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Penix is like an athlete, but he cannot(or has never shown much of an ability) to use his athleticism functionally while doing the act of quarterbacking lol.

Like yeah man, you can run a 4.5 or whatever or train to do other combine/pro day athleticism tests.

That man if he is moved off his spot loving craters hard accuracy wise, and in his success rate.

straight line speed doesn't matter when it comes to dealing with pressure.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Penix is a former dual threat guy and he just ran like a 4.45 or something, so theoretically he could be used as one in the pros while Rivers was always a pylon.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

Penix is like an athlete, but he cannot(or has never shown much of an ability) to use his athleticism functionally while doing the act of quarterbacking lol.

Like yeah man, you can run a 4.5 or whatever or train to do other combine/pro day athleticism tests.

That man if he is moved off his spot loving craters accuracy wise, and success rate.

Yeah. He’s an athlete who is really bad at using it to his advantage.

Athlete doesn’t meant you’re automatically an amazing QB - but…good god tff…we at the point of pretending to not know what the word athlete means? We going back to checkers level discussion?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Penix is a former dual threat guy and he just ran like a 4.45 or something, so theoretically he could be used as one in the pros while Rivers was always a pylon.

he hasn't reached 3 ypc since 2019 (freshman year), doesn't really scream dual threat to me. good luck to whatever manager wants to try, i guess

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My guy i think you’re confused what being an athlete means. Slow qb brain and bad decision making as a qb doesn’t make him any less of an athlete

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BlindSite posted:

It's his face.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

My guy i think you’re confused what being an athlete means

plenty of different reasons to describe someone as an "athlete" and if your main criteria to differentiate QBs is 40-yard dash time, have fun with that

rivers and penix had basically identical college passing stats and he's a perfectly good comp

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

like come on, I guess maybe it's the greatest long con ever and he's secretly been holding back some dual threat ability, but

Yards rushing, and this isn't even the normal college rushing yard statistics that remove sack yards from rushing yards.

That nigga is not a dual threat QB. Big time shades of people calling Teddy Bridgewater that during draft season because Kaep and other QB's were the rage.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Dexo posted:

like come on, I guess maybe it's the greatest long con ever and he's secretly been holding back some dual threat ability, but

Yards rushing, and this isn't even the normal college rushing yard statistics that remove sack yards from rushing yards.

That nigga is not a dual threat QB. Big time shades of people calling Teddy Bridgewater that during draft season because Kaep and other QB's were the rage.

:stare:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pmchem posted:

plenty of different reasons to describe someone as an "athlete" and if your main criteria to differentiate QBs is 40-yard dash time, have fun with that

rivers and penix had basically identical college passing stats and he's a perfectly good comp

Yeah.. and that’s be an awesome note if being an athlete only meant your 40 yard dash but arguing logic seems one sided so I’ll stop.

Come back to me in a few years when he has a Philip Rivers type career I guess?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

Being an athlete doesn’t automatically equate to being a dual threat quarterback. Just like him having similar stats to Rivers in college doesn’t mean he was anywhere near the passer rivers was in college.

Is it the star that clouds the brain or…

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Penix needs to let the naysayers know, I guess.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
My hot take is that anyone playing in the NFL is an athlete.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like all these dudes are athletes on some level.

Even kickers and punters nowadays are absurd athletes.

When most people talk about "athletes" when speaking specifically about a sport they are generally referring to Athletes who are like the top 5% of the 1% of athletes that already are in that sport.

like this is just a wild level of pedantry lol.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

living around nothing but WAS fans, the daniels>maye thing is definitely not exclusive to TFF. frankly i would say the casual narrative has him moved into QB2 right now

JJ was a bridge too far from the same folks, not that he should ever be in consideration for WAS unless they trade down

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Who knows maybe he shocks the world. He doesn’t process info fast enough to be dual. He doesn’t have accuracy to be rivers. I think he’s a waste. But measurable are… ya know.. measurable

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

What?

I'm not even defending Penix, I don't like him as a prospect Maybe like 3rd or 4th round for me IMO, but if you think you can protect him late second is somewhat defensible, You likely can't get away with being a touch more mobile than Drew Bledsode, in today's NFL.

But this argument is dumb as hell. Penix is an athlete, as is pretty much any NFL player. But he isn't able to like access whatever athleticism he does have while playing QB, and less even on the running part, that was just to laugh at the person who said he was a dual threat. But even moving around in the pocket he is absolutely dire if he can't drop back cleanly and get his throws off without being forced off his spot.

It looked like Mac Jones has more creation and movement in his game, and that is not very good.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 29, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's kind of funny that Justin Fields only had 3 more rushing attempts his final year in college than Rivers did in his. 4.7 ypc vs 1.4 though.
edit: Oh right, Covid year with only 8 games

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 29, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I would like to point out that Philip Rivers had tremendous pocket presence and was pretty accurate on scrambles too.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

PENIX has tremendous pocket presence too. He has that Brady ability where he’s not really scrambling away or stiff arming defenders away… but he does those little steps in the pocket to make defenders miss and deliver tall in the pocket.

I hope PENIX goes to a good team :)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Ornery and Hornery posted:

PENIX has tremendous pocket presence too. He has that Brady ability where he’s not really scrambling away or stiff arming defenders away… but he does those little steps in the pocket to make defenders miss and deliver tall in the pocket.

I hope PENIX goes to a good team :)

I want him in Seattle.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Penix is going to absolutely smash records

For the number of dumbass fantasy teams named after him

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I want him in Seattle.

Oh god are we rebooting the Anthony Richardson bit

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

efb a bunch but yeah.

a neat cape posted:

I would like to point out that Philip Rivers had tremendous pocket presence and was pretty accurate on scrambles too.

Penix isn't really a bad decision maker. He is actually very very good at like almost everything involved with being a Quarterback, until he is forced to move.

His Accuracy MOF deep and intermediate are not the best, but unlike other QB's, some in this very draft, he will actually throw them, when they should be thrown.

It's not like that his awareness is bad, like he doesn't loving take sacks, and will throw the ball when pressured, it's just that he has no ability to like move and throw, and if he does move he has to completely reset and throw.

But yeah no off platform or off balance throws worth a drat coming from Penix.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Runs a decent 40 that he'll never utilize in reality?

That's a little faster Derek Carr

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I want him in Seattle.

Geno is a decent comp for Penix tbh. Down to the inexplicably fast 40 time that does not at all reflect how they actually play

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Geno is a decent comp for Penix tbh. Down to the inexplicably fast 40 time that does not at all reflect how they actually play

Geno is a guy who was recruited to the school that had just produced Pat White a couple of years earlier so it makes sense that he can move, but they had basically had gone Air Raid by the time he was playing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Drake Maye makes some very pretty throws and looks off wide open underneath guys to do it. He also has a bad tendency to turn his shoulder into a play which sinks him in the pocket for getting off easy passes. He's got a bit of an issue placing catchable balls. He still pushes it down field and takes risks, unlike Jones.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Penix was in an offense that had him adjust at the line to attack a safety and get 1 on 1 matchups with 3 amazing WRs. He makes good decisions but it's not like the decisions are particularly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

Drake Maye makes some very pretty throws and looks off wide open underneath guys to do it. He also has a bad tendency to turn his shoulder into a play which sinks him in the pocket for getting off easy passes. He's got a bit of an issue placing catchable balls. He still pushes it down field and takes risks, unlike Jones.

Yeah, I don't disagree with this, although in college I really don't mind a QB who tries to push deep, It's easier to reign a guy in than teach a guy to be more aggressive.

He's got some mechanical issues and bad habits, but they are all things that I've seen fixed before in the NFL. Which is why I love him so much as a prospect

I just thought the Daniel Jones comp or Mitch comp I've seen floating around completely ridiculous.

This same thing is something the Bears and mostly Keenan Allen I think are going to have to drill into Caleb, that this isn't 2023 USC, he doesn't have to be super man.