Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

TheGreyGhost posted:

Caleb regressed to merely a good QB1 prospect and is going to drive someone absolutely loving crazy when he holds the ball that long in the league. This year’s tape he has no idea what he’s doing in a pocket or with his feet but has the potential to be an AR/Cam caliber physical talent with what he can do at the margins in between insanely bad pressure decisions.

I told you all about Daniels 2-3 years ago.

Caleb’s been so weird this year, he’s just played stupid way too often. I blame the bad defense for making him think he needs to hero ball at all times.

Also does anyone have access to the Daniels posts, bc I’d love to see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

TheGreyGhost posted:

Lmao if you’re really really trying to find something about MHJ to fuss about, he has like 1 concentration drop a game, making Larry like the only generational guy in the last 20 years that I can’t draw a line on.

He’s somewhere between that and Olave on the spectrum. That offense does such good work on seam and spacing routes that I just don’t think he’s even had to go directly over a guy in coveragemuch since he’s so slick in getting around guys and penix specializes in layer and back shoulder throws. Your worst case with him feels like Golden Tate.

None of these dudes are like Quentin Johnston catch mechanics though which raises the floor on the class. Coleman and Nabers both high point well. Emeka’s interesting because I would honestly tell him to stay back a year since he could be a top 2-3 receiver next year but is probably WR 4-5 in this class after his injury issues.

Coleman is going to be an insane contested catch receiving threat for someone, that dude is such an absurd athlete and he high points insanely well. Lob it to him every time you get in the red zone just don’t ask him to run routes with any precision lol

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Doltos posted:

I love WRs that are like yea he's not going to run a crisp route but who cares

It's like Maxx Crosby DEs that just belligerently rush forward without any thought or care. It's the superior way to play football.

I never understood how satisfying that playstyle is to watch and how effective it can be until the Bucs got Evans. It loving rules. Coleman has that same vibe.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Doltos posted:

Drake Maye because he shits his pants any time there's pressure in his face.

The hater knocks I have on each QB:

Jayden Daniels: Terrible QB at ASU
Caleb Williams: Looks off easy routes so much hero ball where he does both incredible and incredibly dumb poo poo
Bo Nix: Inaccurate and gets bailed out by great WRs a bit old since he's literally a 7th year senior
Quinn Ewers: Dumb as bricks, inaccurate throws due to lovely technique
J.J. McCarthy: Bailed out by elite offensive line
Penix: Just average some horrifying injury history as well
Shedeur Sanders: Baby arm
Carson Beck: Just a game manager
Michael Pratt: Only looks like a NFL QB on bootlegs
Tyler Van Dyke: All arm no brains
Spencer Rattler: Gets rattled (in the pocket)
Joe Milton III: One read QB and just dumb as hell at the QB thing, think Zach Wilson. All arm talent, no brain
Jaxson Dart: Micky mouse offense

added more to some of these. lol Jayden has got to have some real negatives that aren't just "when he was younger he was bad"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Alaois posted:

CJ Stroud look like a drat black Adam Driver ain't nobody scared of that man

lmfaoooo

if anyone can find a way to be afraid of a young black man its gonna be an old white billionaire

The most insane things to me about Stroud from college to pros:

1. He gets rid of the ball fast, it makes me think dumbass Ryan Day told him to hold the ball forever (as he did with Fields) bc he doesn't do that poo poo in the NFL much at all
2. Holy gently caress can he create, its insane! That was such a huge knock on him and it's one of his greatest assets

The more I watch Stroud the more I think OSU fans are right for wanting to fire Day

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

joe football posted:

Stroud still has one of the longest time to throw in the NFL(or whatever 'Pocket Time' is), just behind Fields. Looking at the list there isn't really that much correlation between how long you're holding the ball and how good you are this year; top-5 is Hurts, Russell Wilson, Fields, Stroud and Purdy

Man Hurts legit holds the ball forever but he's got the best o-line in football so he can get away with it. In general this list is basically who's got good o-lines (Hurts/Purdy) or likes to create (Wilson / Stroud). And then there's Fields.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think by the end of the draft process Daniels is going to have jumped Maye. He’s going to rise based on measurables like Richardson did but he’s also got two years of showing he can actually play football as well.

Agreed. It feels like the top 5 is going to be some combo of Caleb, Maye, Daniels, MHJ, and either an OT or a DE

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Titans, which will probably end up around 8-10ish. Out of reach of the top two LTs and MHJ, but could still go with another offensive option as consolation, as WR is another big need.

I actually think you'd still be in range for one of the OTs there altho it'll be close

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hmm maybe. Obviously it’s still super early but let’s see how many prospects could go before #8 and before both OTs go…

2 QBs for sure (Caleb and Drake)
1 WR for sure (MHJ)
So 3 players which takes us to pick number 4.

Then maybe:
1 QB (J Daniels)
1 EDGE (Latu)
2 WRs (LSU and UW)
1 TE (Georgia)

That brings us to 8 players and so to pick 9.

Idk if I’m a team picking in the top 8, holding everything else equal, I’m taking LT Olu over someone like EDGE Latu…

…but one of the two LTs getting to ~9 isn’t as impossible as I initially thought. Even if I think it is unlikely.

i thought Verse was gonna be the first pass rusher off the board or did that change?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I remain convinced that Jayden is going to jump Maye by the end of the process.

he will, he's got better tape across the board and he'll do well at the combine. Maye's biggest selling point is being a big white dude with a big arm.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd avoid Maye like the plague. I haven't looked closely at the dude at all, but all his highlights on Twitter that have draftniks ohhhhhing and ahhhhing look exactly like Zach Wilson's BYU highlights. Immaculately clean pockets and wide open WRs.

I mean Maye has a lot more play time than Zach did, a lot. I'd almost compare him to a more productive Levis from last year. Big dude, big arm, pretty blah when he's being pressured but can play well within structure.

There's also an interesting tidbit here that Maye's numbers are nearly all worse this year in his second full year as a starter than they were last year.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Cam Ward declared for the draft, maybe another 1st round guy at QB?

He's been inconsistent but also had terrible talent outside of one WR. He's also got a gorgeous deep ball

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

LiquidFriend posted:

I would recommend watching the games.

as an FSU fan i would not recommend watching the bama game. gently caress ESPN & the CFP committee

Kirios posted:

I doubt Cam is even a day 2 pick honestly. There's a good 5-6 quarterbacks ahead of him.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I doubt Cam goes in the first.

No? I assume he got like a 2nd round or better grade to forgo what was a ton of money being offered if he stayed in college.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Keon Coleman going to work in the NFL? It's a lot of contested catches.

his combine is going to be insane, he's a huge fast dude who routinely makes circus catches. i think he'll be pretty solid as a pro, especially if he develops any real route running. a lot of the contested catches are bc he was the go-to security blanket this year. he'd get wide open a good bit too but he was the guy whenever they'd hit the redzone or need someone to come down with a duck thrown into coverage

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

well the top 18 picks are set and that's a lot of QB needy teams for maybe 4? QBs that could go in that range

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

MHJ is going to drop to the Chargers and I’m going to be livid.

Nah it'll be either AZ at latest or someone trading into AZs spot

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean Chargers are in a good place to trade into the Cards spot, and then the Cards can trade further down for more value if they want.

i mean in a WR class this loaded it'd be insane to let the Cards bamboozle you into trading up for one.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Caleb and Jayden are worth taking in the top 5.

That’s right, I’m starting the “Jayden Daniels is better than Drake Maye” train. Daniels can make throws under pressure. Choo choo mother heckers!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I know we’ve had our differences but when you’re right you’re right and right now you’re very right.

Add me to this train

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait brushes his teeth with his left hand for alpha waves? What in the hell? Lmao

yea can anyone explain what this even means? it just sounds like crazy person style "bleach will cure covid" poo poo to me

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

... no matter how hard you lol Bears, how are the Panthers the better scenario?

No Eberflus? And it isn’t a historically awful franchise to be a rookie qb

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Cam Ward btw decided at the last moment that he was not in fact going into the draft so he's at Miami for this year.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

he should 100% hire an agent if only to get more sponsorship deals.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ehh there's less guaranteed top end talent but looks like 3-4 could be first rounders if they have a good year.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The only QBs I see being first-round talent next year are Shedeur and Ewers. That is garbage.

there's like 4 dudes who had decentish years this year but have prototypical size, and most of them are getting new OCs so who knows. That's Leonard, Allar, Weigman, and Beck(altho maybe not him)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Not going to lie, I have not been impressed with Allar.

Same but he does have the size and a good arm and he's about to get a new OC. I still expect James Franklin to ruin him though

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

i feel like the main reason not to draft a TE in the top 10 is bc largely it's an undervalued position in the draft so by taking a TE that high you're potentially out of the running for a lot of the best O-lineman, Receivers, QBs, and DEs who are perhaps over-valued positions in the draft.

More to the point for the Chargers, they've got a lot of loving needs and TE is not in the top 3 so why take one when they can get a premium guy at any positions besides like QB at that spot and still be able to take an extremely good TE in the 2nd round?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Tight End market is only going up. A great tight end opens up your entire offense, especially as we move into a more RPO/Motion centric era. Would the Lions offense be where it is without Sam LaPorta? I don’t think so.

No disagreement there but it's still not more valuable than a QB, DE, #1 WR, or a T. I'm not a hard and fast "thou shalt not draft" X position before X draft pick type for anything but P/K but I'd argue using a top 5 pick on a TE is a waste (particularly in this draft) if for no other reason than you could absolutely get one of the desperate idiots behind you to trade up for all the dudes you've apparently decided you don't want.

Like in this draft for sure by pick 5:

Caleb & Drake are off the board
Probably MHJ too
Then it's a toss-up between an OT, Nabers, Jayden Daniels, or a DE for the 4th player.

That means at pick 5 for sure you'll have one of Nabers, Daniels, the top DEs, or the top OT in the class sitting there. Why on earth would you draft a TE there, even if that's what your GM believe is the best player for your team?? Someone will pay you a fortune to move down so they can get Nabers, Daniels, or the top OT.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I feel like you for sure take Nabers or an OT if you get stuck at that pick and MHJ is gone.

I lean towards OT bc the longer Herbie stays upright the more likely you're going to win games but also Nabers solves their main offensive issue of getting a fast dude who can catch. Nabers is so loving good ya'll, imagine Herbie throwing insane bombs to him.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

a neat cape posted:

I feel like if Daniels ISN'T taken in the top 4, the Chargers could potentially get a lot in a trade from a team like Atlanta or Minnesota that wants to ensure they get him

agreed.

a neat cape posted:

Alt would be the RT. Slater is already an elite NFL left tackle, so moving him seems dumb.

And for the record, Relentlessboredomm, I agree with you in that if I was in charge, Nabers or Trading Down would be the choice. Herbert with a deep threat like Nabers would have me in some kind of mood.

But if they take Bowers, or Alt, or Latu, I'm not going to be upset. It still fills a glaring hole and they should still be great.

yea that's fair. im also iffy on Latu tho just for the medical stuff. my hot take is if I have a top 5 pick I want a multi year starter who doesn't have a scary injury history or a checkered past. someone else said it here but at a certain point staying healthy is a skillset, give me one of those dudes

I recognize that there are still coaches to be hired, but I have a hard time seeing the top four picks being anything other than the three QBs and MHJ.

Even if the teams currently 1-4 don’t want one of the QBs or MHJ, it seems like they’d easily trade down to a team that does.

I could see the Pats going MHJ and the Cards going for an OT but yea it does seem unlikely Jayden is still around at 5. If he is the Chargers are nuts not to trade down since the Giants will 100% take the opportunity to get a real QB on the roster if it falls into their lap so a lot of teams will try to trade up.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Parallax posted:

having the dolphins draft a WR first round is such a bizarre choice

lmao yea i saw that. Grier's gonna get dragged through the streets if that's his pick

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

predicto posted:

So do the draftniks here think Maye is going to be a Josh Rosen 2.0 bust? Or just that Daniels has greater potential?

Maye has more question marks for me than Daniels does. I don't think he'll be a huge bust necessarily (altho depends on the fit) but I've got way more confidence that Daniels will be pretty good.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

He's not leaving Tampa. They'll sign him or tag him. I've read he might get close to if not $20m per season.

yea he's the #1 offseason signing priority for the Bucs, i'd be shocked if they let him walk

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

jayden's incredible. it was wild how effectively FSU stopped them in the 2nd half. I think that ended up being one of their lowest scoring games of the year

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grozz Nuy posted:

The way Caleb holds the ball forever scares me, that poo poo's not gonna work in the NFL where you don't have a line full of 5-star recruits going against future insurance salesmen on every play.

Good news, he didn’t have that in college either.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Quick question SA, is Justin Jefferson worth two 1st round picks?

normally yes, this year in an insanely loaded WR draft maybe not. not bc he's less valuable but bc it'll lower the overall demand for a killer WR as a lot of teams are gonna think they can draft a good one.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

still feels like if teams can be ok with the injury history Penix will go somewhere in the first. just too many qb needy teams

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Have you blocked out Rex Grossman and Jameis Winston from memory?

Hell, the reason Rattler is where he is despite coming into college as a presumptive star is that he turns his brain off a lot too much.

Yea Rattler is literally the one dude where you'd love to see him be a little more careful in his workouts. Dude would make Josh Allen blush with the number of times he tries to arm punt it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Then do I have a QB for you, impossible spheres.

Joe Milton: 20 feet tall with an ogre arm

don't ask about his brain tho

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Doltos posted:

It's always been weird to me that Mel Kiper only has to work 4 months out of the year and he can't even do that. What kind of jaded entertainer do you have to be to not even watch film or be aware of NFL team needs? It's literally the easiest poo poo and just takes a modicum of effort.

counterpoint he put a ton of work into making the draft a television event and now doesn't really need to do gently caress all to cash those disney checks. i mean i will not watch or listen to him anymore but i have to respect the utter lack of hustle

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

that and they try to turn him into a constant homerun threat but he's inconsistently successful at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Dumb draft rumours Michael Lombardi has put out

-Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy have third down tape that teams consider to be excellent and play / process at a fast level in those situations - the scuttlebutt being that some scouts will put more weight on third down plays than the others when watching film and evaluating
-Bears have Odunze and Nabers above Harrison on their board
-Jayden Daniels would rather not go to NE because of the climate (which lol)

Now you don't have to read twitter or listen to Pat McAfee. You're welcome.

after the keenan allen trade we can go ahead and ignore any Bears & top WR rumors