Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

There's no way Jaheim Bell makes it to Rd 6, he's the best receiving tight end in the draft outside of Bowers. The top 5 TEs are kinda good? I like them so far, we'll see how the combine goes. There's just nothing after them. It's a little spicier if someone tries to convert Johnny Wilson into TE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

doesn't everyone hate this TE class? with pretty good reason it's got no depth. I think Sinnott and Bell are pretty close to Sanders. Sinnott has some impressive inline blocking reps on film, some mixed backfield and wide blocking. Really like the way he transitions to runner. it's very smooth. I might have gotten a little carried away with calling Bell the best receiving TE outside of Bowers, that's probably still Sanders, but I do like like him a lot. Good things keep happening when he's got the ball.

And then Stover is fine? I kinda really like him, but not sure exactly why. He plays a really clean game even if nothing stands out athletically. You'd think he'd be a better blocker than he is though.

My takeaway from watching some film, is that the top of the TE class wasn't as bad as other people have made it out to be.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

wandler20 posted:

My big beautiful man!

HT: 99th percentile
WT: 98th percentile
Arm: 99th percentile
Wingspan: 99th percentile

https://x.com/seniorbowl/status/1752081100267003968?s=20

It's going to be interesting to see what he runs at the combine. I'm not sure he wants any part of becoming a TE and blocking.

dude absolutely crushes it blocking in the film I've watched. he seems to both enjoy it, and be pretty good at it. I expect he'll have pretty good numbers for anything fast and some very middling numbers for anything quick.

also I do not like Corum at all so far.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 30, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

there's a very good chance that you'd need to be higher than that for Fuaga. I think he's the 2nd best OT in the draft, but even at the number 3 OT off the board 15 might be a 2 or 3 spots too late. He'd be a ridiculously good fit for the 9ers though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I get that there are great OT prospects in this draft class but I find it odd that Olu has slipped so much.

I don’t think there’s a compelling case for anyone (other than Alt) to be a better LT prospect.

You're right if you're just looking at left tackles, but the right tackles are just really good.. While Olu is absolutely beautiful to watch in pass protection his run game blocking is mediocre. Alt is nearly as proficient at pass protection and miles ahead in the run game. Fuaga is the same thing but on the right side: a half step behind in pass protection, but an absolute wrecking ball in the run game. Then there's Mims who's my #3, who just might be the best tackle in the draft. he doesn't have much film but what he does have is insane. He moves so ridiculously well for a guy that big and his jab is lethal. It's not really a knock on Olu, I'd love to have him, it's a stacked class.

People are bit higher on Latham than I am

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 31, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Packers need to draft Isaiah Davis.

finally got around to watching some film on him, and ehhhhh? Don't hate him, don't love him. I was expecting more power for a guy that slow. I have him down in the 10-12 range of RBs.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I like Lloyd a lot too. He does put it on the ground at an alarming rate though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I don't think I watched a single game of Texas all year, but I keep getting distracted watching the film because what the hell is anyone doing on that defense. Why do you keep lining up Murphy as 0/1 tech and Sweat as a 3 tech? Why does Murphy leave his feat to jump a gap at the snap??? Yeah, he gets away with it sometimes but you are gonna end up on the ground in the NFL. What the hell are the linebackers doing ever?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I really like Bell, Sanders, and Sinnott. Bell is an interesting move TE with a lot of versatility, and good things happen when he's got the b CDall. Pretty good at blocking in space too, don't expect more than a chip from inline though. Sinnott is a good inline blocker and medium in space, but despite being big and slow has a lot to offer in the pass game. He's got good hands, transitions from catch to run really naturally and is hard to bring down. Sanders is the quintessential receiving TE.

There's upside in others in the rest of the class but they're more developmental prospects.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 12, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I really like Trey Benson he's got such quick burst and just runs north. Really good receiving threat out of the backfield too. It's just the injury history that's scary.

same. I love a few of the Florida State guys. I've already talked about Bell. Benson and Renardo Green both stand out a lot when I watch them. The LSU game is good watching for Green, it's not a perfect game from him but he mostly plasters Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. I like Verse well enough. Not as high on the WR's or Fiske though. Fiske has a motor that's always going and he's a constant annoyance to the OL but that rarely seems to convert to anything meaningful.

Speaking of, Brian Thomas Jr has some real inconsistent effort. He's capable of some impressive stuff. Rare ability for a guy his size at breaking routes and obvious top end speed. He also runs lazy routes and throws the barest token of blocks when he doesn't think the ball is coming his way. Even when he is involved in the play his blocking is often just kinda standing near a guy and hoping for the best. Sometimes he's out there blocking his rear end off or hustling 60 yards down the field. He's got it in him, but for a guy that needs to add of subtlety to his game still I'm kinda off him.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

What are your personal weird rules of thumb for scouting/the draft?

I've been really into basketball prospect scouting and I have a handful of principles that are sacred to me, but most don't know about or just don't care about them.

Do you guys have any personal tests you use, or weirdly specific lines you won't cross?

I'm new at this. I did a bunch of tape watching last year and had a rough tier ranking.

The first thing I'm watching is does this guy play good? College production against good competition has a way of translating. Then I want the athletic scores. Does anything conflict with the tape? Is there a good reason why this freak athlete has limited production and vice versa. It's about triangulating tape, athleticism, age, and production.

Specific things that are huge negatives? Offensive tackles with short arms is the biggest one for me.

A thing that isn't as big of a deal that you might think is WR drops. Drops aren't a stat that has a lot of carry over year to year. Some guys are all ham hands and insist on body catching and have a lot of drops. that'll show up on tape, but mostly drops just aren't that big of a factor.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I'd say it's less exception proves the rule and more that there are no rules. I think it's equally as silly to drat someone for having an ugly girlfriend as it is for having small hands. The short arms thing on linemen is bad in my opinion because I've yet to see anything that short arms are that debilitating in the NFL. Against my own preference, body catches are totally viable and plenty of guys catch with their body who also snatch the ball out of the air. I just think that grabbing the ball away from the body displays hand eye coordination and mindfullness to utilize your arms to create separation.

For me, what I see in actual play is going to be the biggest component. I liked Skoronski a lot last year, and he's got short arms. Where I don't like short arms are guys who don't have good tape. I agree it's very hard to make any definitive casual links to arm length, and it's not the most precise measurement in the first place. Some guys with short arms play longer because of good upper body flexibility or just good technique. A more nuanced version of my stance is that I don't tend to like developmental OT's with short arms that play short on tape. Then you're into the question of how many developmental OT prospects are ever good at all. It's not a lot!

I agree with the larger point. there's not sone platonic form of any position in football or some magic metrics a prospect has to hit to be good.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

speaking of IOL what's up with Matt Lee? Why is he so far down on the consensus big board? He looks a little awkward when he's really in space, but he climbs to the second level really well and delivers meaningful blocks. Even when he's looking goofy in space he still manages to get in the way enough. He's also the best pass blocking center in the draft.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mims gonna skyrocket soon

I expect he's the third tackle off the board, and I think many already have him there. I also expect his combine to be nuts.

I do not like Guyton, I don't think he's a first rounder. I'm not even sure he's a second rounder.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bowers is a game changer, and I hope he falls to 18 because he's small and a TE.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

he's on the small side for a TE. compared to an average human he's very large.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I think I like Frazier more than Powers-Johnson. It's really a toss up of what you have versus what you could have. Frazier is probably the most experienced starter in the NCAA outside of Bo Nix. JPJ didn't get play time until this year. The intelligence on blocks has such a huge gap between the two that you're basically drafting JPJ to be a complete train up project. Frazier's ability to rotate out of the middle of the pocket and take out edge's on the corner is stuff you only see in veteran centers in the NFL. But on the flip side it's undeniable that JPJ moves guys better in the run game, and when he gets a good set with his hands he can stand up guys just as well as Frazier. Frazier's big problem is that he isn't nearly as fluid as JPJ with blocking on his hip which could limit how much he moves out of his gap on run plays. I believe people will start copying the 49ers' 1 step blocking scheme and JPJ would probably fit that way better.

I think I've settled on my pre-combine centers as:

1. JPJ
2. Matt Lee
3. Frazier
4. Nugent
5. Van Pran

I think for me Frazier's athletic limits are more of a hindrance, but I admittedly love me some OLine athletes.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Is the running back class really that much of a afterthought this year?

it's pretty solid. good depth and fairly high top end.

Jonathon Brooks is the clear number 1, and he's very well rounded. Then there's a group of very solid prospects and it's kinda more personal preference with Wright, Irving, Lloyd, Estime, and Benson. I'd put Tyrone Tracy Jr in there too, but I don't think many others would. I really love Benson here, but I wouldn't fault anyone for having a different preference.

Then there's some guys that'll probably find a spot as depth, special teams, or practice squad. Guerendo, Frank Gore Jr, Michael Wiley, Holani, Watson. To a lesser extent Vidal and Ray Davis.

I can't decide if Kendall Milton is good or not. I think kinda?

There's some very notable names missing here and I wonder if this RB class is looked on unfavorably because people are watching some of the bigger names and coming away unimpressed? I'm certainly extremely unimpressed with Corum, Allen, and Shipley. I wouldn't draft any of them.

Also when thinking about this post I realized I have a massive bias towards one cut guys who can get skinny, get vertical, and catch a ball.

My ordered rankings pre-combine:

1. Brooks
2. Benson
3. Irving
4. Lloyd
5. Wright
6. Tracy
7. Estime
8. Guerendo
9. Watson
10. Frank Gore Jr

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 25, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I keep hearing that too, but then I watch the film. absolutely possible that I could be delusional. It's a good crop of 2nd to 4th round guys.

Also has anyone watched Tyrone Tracy Jr? I know it's a hard ask because it means watching the Purdue football team play offense, but feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

When I think of bad draft positions this year IOL, DT, TE each have like 5 guys that you aren't taking an absolute flier on.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

there's no top end IOL this year. I'm not falling for that JPJ top 20 nonsense. He's an early second rounder. You got Matt Lee and JPJ at center a decent gap and then Frazier and Nugent. At guard you got Puni, Zinter, Beebe, and Mahogany. I'll gives you Haynes, but I'm not as high on him. It doesn't make any sense to say the RB class is bad because it lacks top end and say the IOL class is good. It's the same, but the RB class is deeper and isn't spread out amongst 3 positions.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

Matt Lee is just a guy, I don't know why you have him up high. I'd be surprised if he's even drafted before the third day. He plays way to tall and gets moved easily by bull rushes which is probably the opposite of what you want in a center. I was thinking someone was going to move him to LG or something too. His blocking technique is just so piss poor for a center and he bounces around like a high schooler.

I did not see that in the games I watched. He did get beat by a bull rush a couple times with one pressure over the 4 games I watched, but he anchors well the vast majority of the time. Also didn't notice any particular pad level issues. He does get off balance occasionally and can be stood up, is this what you're seeing? I didn't note it as a chronic problem. Maybe saw 2 or 3 egregious examples over the 4 games.

I like him for his athleticism. Moves really well, gets out well. I'd like to see him be able to track and identify his blocks in space better when pulling. I like his finish on run blocking. He's not a mauler in the run game, but he's consistently able to leverage and turn and his guy for the seal. In pass protection I like his vision and hands. He resets fluidly due to his athleticism. One of the best pass blocking IOL's in this class in my book.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm genuinely curious if you mark that last play as a minus. Are you expecting him to make that block?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

I expect centers that know the sweep is to the right and they have a slip block assignment to not push it 3 yards up from the LOS but these are just three plays I found real quick before work

there's a couple more from those games. He gets bullied pretty badly by the DT splitting him and the left guard but holds up just enough in the aTm game, but a clear loss. He has a real bad rep like in the UNC clip against Clemson I think.

I don't dock the clip you posted against Clemson, because it's the wrong play for the defense that's only ever going to work if he's blocking on the second level. I think he goes so far down field because that's what they want him to do. It looks like he's heading towards a spot, maybe expecting zone?, sees man and has to reverse back. Regardless of the intent, I don't expect him or any other center to get 10 yards over on a 1 second throw. I actually like how fast he gets out there, even if the play was doomed from the snap.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Mims posting a 4.33 shuttle is absurd.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I think a lot of people already had him there.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I don't know that Coleman's 40 says anything different than the 2023 film or production numbers do. 33% ish for both contested target and catch rate.

Apparently I'm supposed to watch 2022 Coleman, where he's both consistently open and grabbing every contested catch. I don't want to though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Play posted:

I'm actually not crazy about tackles being insanely tall. Long arms is nice, solid body is nice, but I would say I prefer shorter legs and slightly shorter height overall because being super tall makes it very easy for pass rushers to get under you and very difficult to win that battle of leverage. In fact after a cursory look the current best tackles in the NFL are mostly 6'4 or 6'5. Which could just be because super tall guys are more rare, but just biomechanically I think there is a point at which further height is counterproductive.

it really depends a lot. Leverage can be an issue, but I think more often than not it's just foot speed. It's super rare for big tackles to move well, but it's a bit of tradeoff. Orlando Brown Jr is a middle of the pack tackle at 6' 8", and he's just so big and strong that the leverage you gain from his size is nullified. It's nearly impossible to convert that leverage into functional movement. It is much easier to just go around him because he's slow as poo poo. Mims has great foot speed, and I don't think you really see guys getting underneath him effectively that much in the uhhhh 6 or so games of film. I can think of a few times where you notice guys winning that leverage battle, but he's quickly able to replant and overpower them.

I think it's a concern for Latham this year too, he's very powerful and has amazing grip. You're just not going to go through him. Around him? That might be easier than you'd like at tackle in the NFL.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Troy Franklin looked like poo poo at the combine so I’m hoping he drops to Tennessee now. I’ll be honest I need to dig into Xavier legette because with how great all the big names looked at the combine Tennessee might be picking between him and Franklin at 38 at this rate

Callahan is gonna want a big body. Congrats on Johnny Wilson.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

How much is made of age in the draft? Like how important is it that Maye and McCarthy are 21 compared to Daniels and Penix at 23 or Nix at 24? Like of course the latter put up bigger numbers and look better but shouldn't the former have more room for growth? I don't watch enough college to know much about these guys specifically, but generally does the older guy have to be that much better than the kid? Unless a guy's like 25 or something it doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

A lot. Some positions it matters more than others, but in general it's a significant weighting. Old WR's, LBs, and DB's because they're just savvier. Better understanding of routes and more refined nuances, better diagnosis and understanding of the position. Linemen on both sides that extra physical development matters a lot. TEs all of the above. In practice what this means is that they're both closer to the peak of what you can envision them being and that in the NFL those extra advantages they had in college are going to be minimized.

Right now we're still in COVID time, so it's graded on a curve and a lot of times you'll be watching film and be like this guy looks refined and look him and up see that he's 37.

I think a good case study this year is Braden Fiske. Elite athlete and motor for days, but what comes across again and again on tape is he just doesn't have the power to be a reliably disruptive presence in either the run or pass game. He will absolutely disrupt plays, but it's athleticism, eye discipline, and tenacity. He's also 24. You like the package and maybe you can get some more muscle on him, but how much are you going to add to a 24 year old? In Fiske's case that's more of an open question because he only had the one year at top tier program, but it's still a concern.

This also matters more the earlier in the draft you are. Rounds one and two it a bigger weight than it is in round 6, because at that point you'll take as many boxes as you check, but it's also a result of older guys getting pushed down the board.

Also when when we're talking NFL draft old we're typically talking 23-24 year olds.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

Probably would have gotten two 3s if Jimmy hadn't gotten benched so early in the season. Ah well.

The comp picks guy thinks something has gone wrong and the 49ers, Bills, Bengals aren't right. here's the thread:

https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/1766244810451738730?t=tWgrLw270raMoVZw5vIuKQ&s=19

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The Brian Thomas Jr film is frustrating. He's inconsistent. He's got uncommon ability to drop his hips for a guy his size, and the speed is obvious. He also plays a lot smaller than he is. Rarely uses his frame in contested catches, and can be bullied at the line a bit. Except sometimes you'll see some really good moves from him in press and sometimes you'll see him box out pretty well. He's not a bad route runner, but he doesn't always run with crispness. That's kinda how all his film is. You'll watch him sprint 60 yards to make a block one play and give the barest minimum two plays later. I still have him as WR4. There's a reason he's not in conversation for 1 or 2 despite the obvious talent and athleticism.

^^^feels like we're pretty close

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 18, 2024

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Johnny Newton not being a 1st rounder is actually insane. I think he's significantly more polished than Bryon Murphy II, and I think he's a top 10 talent. I really like Murphy too, and I can definitely see how you could talk yourself into him over Newton because there's a tremendous amount of upside. I do think his ceiling is a bit higher than Newton. Newton is so good though, great hands, great explosion, absolute wrecking ball.

I seem to be much lower on Turner than a lot of people.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Latham didn't do athletic testing at his pro day, which is gonna be a pretty big knock for me since I already have questions about his foot speed and athleticism from the film.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Dwight McGlothern is one of the best pile inspectors I have ever seen.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Finished watching my 4th Brenden Rice game, and I think the consensus has him criminally underrated. To me his two biggest negatives are ball tracking and lack of quickness for short and intermediate routes. He's got the speed, the body control, and the saviness of a vet. Great repertoire of press beaters, doesn't quite have the hard break of some of the elite guys. His lack of suddenness is largely mitigated by his superb understanding of the position.

One of my favorite things about him is how hard and well he blocks. I don't know how the son of one of the best to ever do it would ever have the audacity to have that dawg in him, and yet :woof:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Play posted:

He should absolutely go late first round, or early second at least. This is the kind of running back who is worth drafting relatively early. You can draft him and not worry too much about the running back position for years.

I'm also a big fan of Will Shipley, although he's not in that early round conversation like Benson. Maybe I'll make a big effort post about RBs in this draft, since it's probably the most fun position to evaluate of them all.

I've maintained for awhile this RB class is good actually. I don't even have Benson as RB1, I have him behind Brooks, but I still like him a lot. I'm not as high on Shipley or most of the big names in this draft like Allen and Corum. I really like Wright. I like a bunch of the late round guys especially Tyrone Tracy Jr. He's barely even played Running Back and that shows up on the film, but he's also very fun . It's a good draft if you value low mileage and young RB's. I'd really enjoy a big effort post to compare notes with and talk RB.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Marshawn Lloyd is one of the most frustrating prospects I watched this year. 1st round talent who's butter smooth moves are matched only by his butter hands. Makes a lot of bad choices when he thinks his athleticism will let him do things it absolutely won't. Love a 5'8" 220 pounder with a 4.48 40 though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Marshawn Lloyd problems are definitely Marshawn Lloyd problems. I don't think he even underwhelmed, he averaged 7.1 yards per carry. While his fumble percentage over his career is very high I think it's mostly mental mistakes rather than any sort of physical security issue. He takes a lot of tackles well behind the line where he could have just stuck his foot in and gone for a short gain instead of taking it outside into the defense for minus 5 yards. But then sometimes he just absolutely takes over drives.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

well my top 4 are the same, I have Wright and Brooks flipped. Mainly because I see a bit of the opposite in Wright. I'm not as confident in his ability to run inside in the NFL, where I like Brooks a bit better. Wright's film against better competition is a little worrying, but the Tennessee IOL was absolute dog poo poo. Brooks is a bit one note in his moves, but he plants that leg so violently on the cut that it always works.

I think Ray Davis is actually undraftable. I'm meh on Allen. I see Shipley similarly, but am not quite as high on him.

There are some guys I really like and the top of that list is Tyrone Tracy Jr. I want to watch a couple more games from Estime and Irving before doing a big post on the mid to late round guys because that's the more fun part of doing this for me. I think there are a few standouts. Hello, Blake Watson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

can you guys tell me anything about Kingsley Suamataia, Jordan Morgan and Patrick Paul? I think they are tackles that have at least a chance of still being on the board by the 30th pick, right?

Paul is one of the best pass blocking tackles in the class. He's got long arms. He mirrors well. He anchors well. He's got quick feet for a big man. He's not as much of a technician as Fashanu, and he's not an assertive tackle. He lets guys get into him, which negates a lot of his reach advantage but it's still hard to long arm him. I don't think I ever saw an edge guy successfully run the arc on him and that's where you see the foot speed and wingspan shine the most. Run blocking ranges from ~fine~ to real bad, and you see that lack of assertiveness carry over. You really don't want him pulling or releasing to block in space where his quick feet in pass pro become downright ponderous. About the best you're gonna get in run blocking is him occupying his assignment.

Jordan Morgan is a guard in the NFL to me.

I need to watch more film on Suamataia, but I was very unimpressed after one game.

At the end of the first you might be looking at Graham Barton, who everyone wants to move inside. That's going to be his natural home, but I don't hate him at tackle in the NFL if you really need one.

I really want to see Amegadjie's testing