Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Harlock posted:

The Bears should take two QBs in the first round just so they don't mess it up

The dragonfly formation is the only way to make the Chicago passing game work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears should just draft the navy quarterback every year and run the triple

Bobby Douglass was the only true Bears QB

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

The first few millions matter a lot more than the 75th or 400th million. Can't blame him for trying to secure as much of that as possible.

He had NIL money if Caleb isn't already a millionaire it's not because he didn't have the opportunity

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

JJ McCarthy's ceiling is Malik Willis now

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

Jefferson is the best WR in the league you're talking two firsts and then some

How much more value does Jefferson's age present vs Tyreek Hill? He's better than AJ Brown but I don't know if the Vikings get two firsts for him it's not like he's NFL superstar Bryce Young

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

I mean probably, but if I just think like that why in gods name would I keep watching Bears football.

Less time spent thinking about Bulls basketball is a good enough reason

They will draft Williams. And either he's amazing or he's like Trevor and consistently underwhelming. After Levis looked not disastrous this season, I am done pretending to know who will be a good QB from college.

Which is why I hope the Cardinals do end up with Marv Jr. He'd make the entire offense look better.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Also idk if Chase and Jefferson can play together. Especially not with Burrow, I feel like that's taking proven success with Higgins and throwing it away. :shrug:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

Hard to tell this year since the QBs are all pretty good, everyone wants a QB, everyone needs at least a backup because of concussion rules, it stands to reason that a lot of the top 10 teams would stay put but also there's a bunch of later picking teams that all need a QB. It's also an extremely weak draft in a ton of positions due to it being the last year of the covid bubble.

Also I believe there's a dearth of WR talent in the NFL so I can see it being realistic that a lot of them get snapped up early this year. Could actually see like 10 WRs going in the first 50 picks, maybe more.

So this is more a "how do GMs think" question: will GMs take the wrong lesson from the Mahomes super bowls and devalue the WR position in favor of defense and TE?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Thanks for the responses. I know drafts are dictated largely on the players but I know there's also nowhere near a consensus on draft boards. Given this is a COVID year draft, the depth is lower but it doesn't mean every team is bearish on the TE class.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

Todd was arguably worse than Mel which is an endeavor I didn't think was humanly possible.

The simple thing is that entertainment has never cared about quality if the audience is there. People view the draft as a great promise of hope for their team. That would have been inevitable with or without Kiper. They could trot anyone out there to regurgitate lines because viewers don't ask for more. I love the draft but I totally understand asking a fan to watch an hour of gametape to come to a conclusion is a ridiculous ask. The one good thing Kiper ever did was be a vulture looking talking head which paints the illusion of competency for the average viewer.

I do get really upset that draft discourse is linking mock drafts now. I definitely blame Mel Kiper and the rest of ESPN for that. It's not life ruining but it's undeniably annoying if you put effort into the hobby.

I think the ranking system makes no sense given how little teams agree after the first but it's a listicle system they can make money off

What's the linebacker scene look like? I mean off ball not edge rushers. The kind you'd see in a Zimmer school defense that rushes 4 in a 4-3 like the Cardinals have.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I could maybe yeah see the Bucs taking JJ. Maybe.

The Bucs would make sense. So would the Cowboys if they didn't trade for Lance last year. I think the market for McCarthy is pretty limited because he'd need everything to go right. That makes me half jokingly suggest SF!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

If he's an undersized elite pass catcher, what's stopping a team from using him as a receiver and putting a second TE on the line? If the Chargers do have to move Williams then they don't have a necessary must play 3rd WR on the field.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

Soon we will have a first round fullback and the world will be good again

I want to live in this world.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Bad teams drafting TE/off ball LB/S/RB in the top 10 is how bad teams stay bad.

The same thing happens if you overdraft a QB that falls on his face because you drafted on positional value

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Shame he’s gonna get drafted by a team that is desperate and immediately installs him as a day 1 starter, probably.

What teams could draft JJ and sit him, based on QB situation not draft capital, an exercise:

1. New Orleans
2. Arizona (please no)
3. Jets (please yes)
4. LAR
5. Seattle
6. Minnesota

Of these options the only one I think is remotely feasible is Minnesota. Which is a shame I want the New York Media to have to talk up JJ every off-season

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I don't know if it translates or not, but Penix has the single ugliest release I've ever seen. It's this weird slingshot release. Is that a mechanics issue that has to be ironed out, or will Penix just have a totally unorthodox release in the pros?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

NFL Draft Thread: The Hog Is Strong

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

I'd replace Kyler Murray with any QB in this draft

Let me have new Larry god dammit I want the generational WR for Murray to chronically overthrow on the sidelines

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Denver doesn't have a starting QB yet. Either they're taking one this year, or like Ryan Tannehill is going to start for them

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

I think he's garbage poo poo. He's got athleticism and he can keep plays alive to dart balls but his deep ball is atrocious and his decision making is awful.

So Bo Nix is Drew Lock. Scheme fit for Denver.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

wandler20 posted:

drat, what happened that SOME team couldn't get him on campus?

https://x.com/NFL_DF/status/1770869556627587416?s=20

Epilepsy

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2024/01/antonio-alfano/

Antonio posted:

When I was in college I got diagnosed with epilepsy and I got a lot of questions about whether I could still play. I found the right doctors who helped me come up with a treatment plan and I was able to have very successful seasons after that with zero issues. I want all NFL teams to know that I’m cleared and that I’m happy to answer any questions about that or anything else they want to know. I love the game and will do anything I need to to make sure I’m one of the best.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone need some Expert Opinion on Northwestern's draft-eligible players this year

Are either of them Trevor Simien levels of scab or Justin Jackson levels of awesome

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kirk is the starting QB on that team for 2-3 years. They'd be sitting Penix for a whiiile. I assume this is to drum up trade value for #8 from Minnesota or LV.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

kiimo posted:

Just did a two round mock. It was super fun and illuminating.

The Green Bay Packers should absolutely keep trading down look at this haul

edit: and got these guys, DT will not be a need anymore lol

Jer’Zhan Newton (dt-2)
Braden Fiske (dt-7)
Junior Colson (lb-1)
Javon Bullard (s-2)

The Cardinals trading up? This simulator is pure fantasy

E: seriously for 3 spots? Get the gently caress out of here lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sataere posted:

I've never understood devaluing future picks. Only time it comes into play is if your job is on the line and if you aren't acquiring capital early you are probably losing your job anyway.

If the picks are not in the first two rounds, good contending teams are capable of producing additional draft compensation through comp pick systems. If players leave and have productive seasons or if Rooney Rule candidates are hired, it's feasible to replace the future third traded with a later third round pick

I think if you aren't a good team that system won't work though and for anyone who isn't the 49ers/Chiefs/Eagles/Bills and regularly playing in the playoffs it isn't really sustainable.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

a neat cape posted:

I just don't see a tackle in the first round. We have an all pro LT and Pipkins at RT just signed a new contract and wasn't the problem last year. Both guards struggled, but one was a first round pick two years ago and the other has a whole bunch of talent at RG. We really need a Center more than anything.

We just traded away Keenan and let Mike Williams walk. The WR room right now is Josh Palmer, Quinton Johnston, and Darius Davis. WR has to be the pick at 5.

When AZ trades back and you get Marvin, you better be really happy about it :colbert:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Jayden Daniels is my QB1, lol. QB is the only position where I don't really deconstruct the film at all. Vibes only watching.

Vibes chart:

Daniels - groovy

McCarthy - surprisingly ok? Like a coworker who you'd never be friends with outside of work but at work they don't annoy you and they're generally pleasant.

Penix - chill, but aloof. Tangential guy to your friend group who you see twice a year, but is nice to make small with.

Caleb Williams - Neutral. Good and bad vibes perfectly cancel out like opposing sine waves. The overall effect is uncanny and slightly unnerving.

Maye - no. don't like that at all.

Your Penix vibes are totally wrong he's got amazing vibes. Free Hoolie was hysterical

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

wandler20 posted:

I hope this version shows up.

Bill Belichick's wolf fursona confirmed

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

BillsPhoenix posted:

My ignorant bold take.

Chargers draft JJ McCarthy, signaling Herbert is available. They get the future draft capital they are wanting by trading Herbert, and maximize it by creating draft day chaos.

If Jim Harbaugh wanted JJ McCarthy to throw the ball he'd have indicated that at some point in Michigan. If they're going to blow up their QB room it would probably be for a falling QB

My preferred Michigan Man Chaos Pick is Brock Bowers

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Cardinals drafted a good player. After not getting Quinnen Williams and trading out of Will Anderson last year, it feels nice to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

it's good Bo Nix had football related stuff in his bag instead of say, a movie theater box of Milk Duds and a Glock.

If Bo Nix had taken out a shotgun and a pistol, Payton would've argued it increased the potential formations for the offense