Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Black Lighter posted:

What's crazy is that there's still a chance he could fall in the draft once reporters and GMs start asking questions about what his dad's been up to since retiring

Marvin Harrison played the game the right way™, so his crime empire was never an issue. Can't see why it would be a concern now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the point is that Harrison lacks the clear deficiency that other top end prospects have had. There's simply nothing he's bad at.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Say your team is picking in between 26-32, what would it take to move up to pick 3 to get Marvin Harrison Jr.? Julio Jones trade was a 1st 2nd and 4th, plus the following year's 1st and 4th. By JJ value it looks more like 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 4th.

If you're a team like the Ravens, Chiefs, Jaguars, or Bills I think you have to entertain making that trade. Pairing your top end QB with as near a can't miss #1WR as we've seen could be revolutionary.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's kind of been the status of the past 5 years. The hit rate on 1st round WRs has been insanely high. Almost any other year, if you pick between the #1 WR prospect or the field for who will produce the best NFL WR, I'd go with the field. I think that MHJ is just such an outlier as a prospect that those typical considerations can be overlooked.

Terrible process, I know. The guy is just such a rare player. The idea of pairing him with a known high quality QB is so tantalizing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There definitely seems to be an inverse relationship in the improved quality of WRs/CBs and decreasing quality D and O linemen.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Strongly disagree. There are some quality edges but the interior D line is lacking. We get one maybe 2 1st round level DT/NT a year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You don't. The only thing I've seen be successful against Garrett is running and throwing right at him because he's in the back field so quick that it's hard for him to flip back the other way.

One of like two pass rushers all time to live up to being a #1 overall pick.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The thing that worries me about Odunze is that so many of his highlight catches are made with his body. Admittedly, in a bunch of those situations catching with his body to protect the ball was the right move. It just makes me question his hands and ability to high point since I haven't seen him do it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm sure you know better than me, since all I've ever seen are highlights. I love everything I've seen Odunze do. The high hands above the defense catch is one thing I haven't seen him do is all. He has all the hallmarks of a WR that falls to the 2nd round and makes 32 teams look stupid. Strong AJ Brown vibes.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I miss Anquan Boldin so much. The Ravens deserve all their WR woes for trading him away for a 6th round pick.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Youth often correlates with growth potential. It's one of the few useful shorthands for gauging how close a player is to their ceiling. On top of that there is the obvious value of getting more prime years if your pick is younger.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Do you really think market is a big factor in the NFL? With the salary cap and franchise tags the guys with an opportunity to profit off a big market aren't strongly empowered to move there.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

Not market size per se but I find it hard to imagine that if the majority of players come from Florida/Texas/California then they wouldn't prefer those locations in free agency. I also think that Seattle has gone on record saying that free agents don't like playing there because of the location but I'd have to find it.

No doubt people have preferences, it's a nice little edge in a tie goes to the hometown type way. I don't think it's anything more than that. Money is the thing, especially for guys in those prime year 2nd or 3rd contracts. Even a 5% difference is usually millions and millions of dollars. Based on what I've seen, NFL players don't usually consider the marginal utility of those additional dollars.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kalensc posted:

McGinn should email the 32 owners and write "one of you hired this absolute idiot as an executive. put $5 million in escrow and you'll get the name"

"Definitely not my guy. Why would I put up cash to make another team better?" - All 32 Teams

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I find it funny that last year was almost exclusively small shifty route technicians and this year has 20 guys who are 6'3''+ that specialize in contested catches. God should have mixed these classes up a bit more for some variety.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sure, but if you look at the top 10 WRs taken last year and the current top ten prospects on say the PFF big board I bet there is a 20 pound 2 inch difference on average. It's funny.

E: also, Johnny Wilson is too big. That isn't a critique of his play but his look. Dude looks so slow, like he's running at half speed. I think it's an optical illusion created by how long limbed he is. I badly want him in Baltimore next to Zay Flowers just for the aesthetic.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Cavauro posted:

i fixed it. i took out the thinnest little piece of crap and i put mr. wilson in there. now this class is averaging 6'2.5" and 209 pounds

I am drat proud of you boy. Go Bengos :911:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Based on that big board, given that the Jets appear to have a chance at picking 5th/6th next year and both Maye and Alt are available, should they roll the dice on Maye or attempt to ensure Rodgers doesn't get murdered in 2024 via picking Alt?

I think they go Alt if he's there as I understand Maye has some question marks.

Every impressive clip of Maye I've seen has come from an immaculate pocket. Gives off strong Zach Wilson vibes.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The Ravens badly need a new LT. This is a really deep class, but I don't know if that extends to getting a starting caliber tackle at the end of the 1st round .

Draft nerds, tell me everything you can about Amarius Mims, Taliese Fuaga, Tyler Guyton, and Kingsley Suamataia. Good name group by the way.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Get the gently caress out of here with that 6'4'' stuff. Give me a Michael Pierce, 6'0" 345.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Bowers is going to underperform his draft status because all the best TEs are mid round large dudes that have the Mel Gibson movie power to read their QBs minds.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Any thread draftnik thoughts on Troy Fautanu? Ravens likely need an LT to replace Stanley in 24 or 25. They also need a left guard better than free agent John Simpson. I'd love to pull a Johnathan Ogden and play Fautanu at guard as a rookie, then shift him to LT if needed to step up for the oft-injured Stanley. Does Fautanu have a possible future at LT, or does his size and play style simply prevent it?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

He's a big RT that's probably where you want him like Darnell Wright last year. More drive than him but similar edge setting.

Big? Fautanu is a bit undersized at 6'4" 317, right?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thanks for the info. Positional scarcity might not have as much impact for OT this year. There are a bunch of guys getting talked about as potential starters. Really glad to hear about the arm length. Pass rushers in the NFL are so well coached on using their own length that short arms really can be disqualifying for playing OT without absolutely immaculate technique and timing.

The whole reason I'm into Fatanu is that he has totally popped off the screen in both Washington games I've watched. With the supposedly elite, prototypically sized guys going earlier I hope he can fall to the end of the 1st.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm the world of OTs. He's fat from small but it's less than average.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jayden is the only other prospect I've ever seen with that Lamar type movement speed in the open field. Really interested to see if that holds true in the NFL. Somewhere in the NFC, preferably.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd avoid Maye like the plague. I haven't looked closely at the dude at all, but all his highlights on Twitter that have draftniks ohhhhhing and ahhhhing look exactly like Zach Wilson's BYU highlights. Immaculately clean pockets and wide open WRs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dak didn't achieve much in college. His measurables and arm talent are nothing special. The thing Dak has is an exceptional mental processor for the game and pretty good accuracy. That stuff didn't become apparent until he played in Dallas.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
LOL

I don't remember that poo poo at all.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Do not draft TEs early!!! They will always be outplayed by some mid-level prospect 3rd round pick with clinical Golden Retriever brain.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Large Penis Penix is a little on the nose.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Who has the best hands in this draft? Show me the slowest mother fucker on Earth, who is 5'5' 300 pounds, but catches absolutely everything that touches his hands. I'm talking 0.002 drop rate.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I figured Odunze might have the best hands, but was hoping it might be some lesser prospect. Years back, 2014 I think, there was a detailed chart of stats on the consensus top ten WRs in the draft from some website that doesn't seem to exist anymore. Drop rate was one of the things that really stood out. Landry was somehow under 1% and Jordan Matthews was near 9%. I love that kind of break down with Yards of target, yards per route run, drop rate, and all that other good poo poo.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Keon Coleman going to work in the NFL? It's a lot of contested catches.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

https://twitter.com/keithpricetrut1/status/1745315263267139865?t=WQmqaQlH60vrflXfgZWN2g&s=19

Amazing that folks are generating content from this water cooler rear end conversation.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
So the idea is that Williams may go to the supplemental draft to avoid the Bears in favor of the Panthers?

That's a theory.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s a bad one. You have to somehow lose college eligibility to be in the supplementary draft. He has plenty.

It's a bad theory even if he could pull it off.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Admittedly better than Stetson Bennett with a drinking problem.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Having 4 pass catchers going to QB needy teams instead of Jayden Daniels is some suspect valuation. Also, Bowers is going to get way overdrafted. Undersized TE that is going to end up a glorified slot receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Tight Ends are incredibly valuable but only on day 2 or 3 because that's where all the elite prospects live. Something about getting selected in the first round mucks up the social cultivation of true TE brain. They need to be like a golden retriever that loves violence and Christmas movies.

I'd definitely trade a 1st round pick for a TE selected 92 overall.