Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Grey Id love your opinion on the first round tackles, mainly the Georgia and bama kids.

Do you see them falling to the 20s where Miami is likely picking? Or am I overhyping them in my own mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheGreyGhost posted:

Doltos beat me to these although I would note with Latham that I’m not sure at points on the tape how much he gets told to punch over drive with how Bama has coached some of their underneath/screen game. They got very very space happy with their OL drift in the Tua era and some of those coaching points stuck around.

Mims looks a lot to me like what we all wanted Trevor Penning to be.

Honestly I don’t even like Fashanu that much at the top of the draft. He got power rushed pretty consistently against Ohio State and wasn’t anchoring well at all. This feels like a class with a lot of coaching issues, even more than usual.

At the very least I don’t see his posts unless they’re quoted so appreciate that!

Good info so glad I saw it. Thanks thread
Edit while you’re here - is center class any good? Seems up in the air if Miami sticks with Williams T Center or shifts him back to guard

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 21, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tight end absolutely has to be a priority, likely a hair behind OT

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If im looking for a solid blocking and receiving tight end, early to mid rounds, would I be in luck?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Hamhandler posted:

Jaheim Bell is a very Miami Dolphins kind of tight end IMO

Id absolutely love him for biased reasons

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dane rules and the Beast is amazing. Sadly we’ve gotta take what we can get until then 😞

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Never been so excited to stare down tight ends and left tackles. We must support the Hawaiian.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BlindSite posted:

I think it was more his ability to throw a ball 50 yards through the air and have it land on a dime to a receiver who can actually get open but yes I'm sure it was the hair cut.

Sounds like it was because of a dinner!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wait brushes his teeth with his left hand for alpha waves? What in the hell? Lmao

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s awesome.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Uh yeah hi I’ll have what he’s ^ having ty

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jefferson would be worth 2 firsts in a heartbeat. Hed have a similar effect Tyreek had when he moved to Miami.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
In what world is a 1st, 2nd, 4 and a future 4+6 not “close” to two first round picks? That’s what Tyreek was traded for.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Left Guard, Girth - Rod, Alabama

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Draft em in the 3rd imo

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Remember this name in 20 years - kicker Travis Swift, Jr.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mims gonna skyrocket soon

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Soon we will have a first round fullback and the world will be good again

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

drat Payton Hillis for not continuing to revive the position

He did his damndest to try at least.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We’d all make wonderful unpaid interns which is essentially the current ceiling

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Gim? What’s a Gim?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You have to just look into a players eyes. Then read Dane Bruglers the beast

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dammit he’s even more a athletic freak than thought

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m so jealous of whatever team gets Caleb. Hes fun to watch and looks so drat good

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dat 5th year option tho

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s awesome keep thinking outside the box baby

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Rivers wasn’t an athlete. Penix is an athlete.

Penix is a less accurate more beefy Tua

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Tebow’s farts could knock down Tua… and..
Wow actually Penix is kinda like tebow

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pmchem posted:

what does this even mean? Coming out of college, Rivers was bigger, taller, and had more rushing attempts and yards his junior and senior years (neither was really a rusher). Rivers had a slower 40-yard dash, pretty meaningless for either player.

Their passing stats in college were surprisingly similar: passer ratings of 144-146, completion percentages of 63.x, 13,xxx yards, 1,xxxx completions, christ they were even within 1 TD of each other, 95 and 96, while having the same # of INTs. The Rivers comp seems... like a good starting point?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/philip-rivers-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/michael-penix-jr-1.html

Welcome to enjoying football and sports in general friend.

When someone says a basic thing such as “he’s an athlete” they typically mean that in reference to their… ya know.. athletic ability.

His inability to capitalize on that doesn’t change that it exists. Similar to how not stupid people ask really stupid questions sometimes.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

Penix is like an athlete, but he cannot(or has never shown much of an ability) to use his athleticism functionally while doing the act of quarterbacking lol.

Like yeah man, you can run a 4.5 or whatever or train to do other combine/pro day athleticism tests.

That man if he is moved off his spot loving craters accuracy wise, and success rate.

Yeah. He’s an athlete who is really bad at using it to his advantage.

Athlete doesn’t meant you’re automatically an amazing QB - but…good god tff…we at the point of pretending to not know what the word athlete means? We going back to checkers level discussion?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My guy i think you’re confused what being an athlete means. Slow qb brain and bad decision making as a qb doesn’t make him any less of an athlete

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pmchem posted:

plenty of different reasons to describe someone as an "athlete" and if your main criteria to differentiate QBs is 40-yard dash time, have fun with that

rivers and penix had basically identical college passing stats and he's a perfectly good comp

Yeah.. and that’s be an awesome note if being an athlete only meant your 40 yard dash but arguing logic seems one sided so I’ll stop.

Come back to me in a few years when he has a Philip Rivers type career I guess?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

like come on, I guess maybe it's the greatest long con ever and he's secretly been holding back some dual threat ability, but

Yards rushing, and this isn't even the normal college rushing yard statistics that remove sack yards from rushing yards.

That nigga is not a dual threat QB. Big time shades of people calling Teddy Bridgewater that during draft season because Kaep and other QB's were the rage.

Being an athlete doesn’t automatically equate to being a dual threat quarterback. Just like him having similar stats to Rivers in college doesn’t mean he was anywhere near the passer rivers was in college.

Is it the star that clouds the brain or…

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Who knows maybe he shocks the world. He doesn’t process info fast enough to be dual. He doesn’t have accuracy to be rivers. I think he’s a waste. But measurable are… ya know.. measurable

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

What?

I'm not even defending Penix, I don't like him as a prospect Maybe like 3rd or 4th round for me IMO, but if you think you can protect him late second is somewhat defensible, You likely can't get away with being a touch more mobile than Drew Bledsode, in today's NFL.

But this argument is dumb as hell. Penix is an athlete, as is pretty much any NFL player. But he isn't able to like access whatever athleticism he does have while playing QB, and less even on the running part, that was just to laugh at the person who said he was a dual threat. But even moving around in the pocket he is absolutely dire if he can't drop back cleanly and get his throws off without being forced off his spot.

It looked like Mac Jones has more creation and movement in his game, and that is not very good.

You’re arguing two different things. Nuance continues to be a lost art on some folks here OR youre arguing with someone different and quoted me by mistake because your entire point has literally nothing to do with what we’re discussing previously. So I say, ironically actually - “what?”

Dexo posted:

Like all these dudes are athletes on some level.

Even kickers and punters nowadays are absurd athletes.

When most people talk about "athletes" when speaking specifically about a sport they are generally referring to Athletes who are like the top 5% of the 1% of athletes that already are in that sport.

like this is just a wild level of pedantry lol.
Lmao yeah. Nevermind.

We’re discussing athletic versus performance. You’re confusing the two. Yet again. Imagine someone said “oh this punter is an athlete!” And you disagreed citing stats to his punting ability. It’s two different subjects.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 30, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

Edit: I guess my only thing with you was thinking the argument about "athleticism" was fairly pedantic and pointless to talking about the prospect. Because "athleticism" takes so many loving forms.

Almost got it!

You misunderstood what athletic meant in a discussion and doubled down (with the other dude who ironically had a star. Bad luck with that moniker equalizing stupidty i guess) so i made a dumb comment putting 2 and 2 together.

Basically the summary of of comments (and the argument made in response to it) is you can be an athlete and not have its translate on the field.

Seems like we do agree tho so I’ll leave it be, semantics aside

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 30, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress okay that was very real and accurate analysis of Penix imo

We definitely agree overall

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

I guess we're all stupid then

Well now you’re just spitting truth

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Well there is that Panthers beat writer named Joe Person that always cracks me up

I wonder how much it would cost to do a nice spiral bound print of The Beast at Office Max or something

My legal binders run about $13 for 100 pages printed and bound at Office Max just for reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He saw his pick in the goon draft and celebrated