Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tinstaach posted:

They more or less traded Carter for Gibbs and LaPorta, which isn't nothing.

It’s not nothing but boy could that defense use a guy like Carter who can get interior pressure. They’re bottom of the league in sacks and the CBs all being dead means QBs can feast if they’re kept clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

1. He gets rid of the ball fast, it makes me think dumbass Ryan Day told him to hold the ball forever (as he did with Fields) bc he doesn't do that poo poo in the NFL much at all

TGG has posted about this before but Day’s offense does require QBs to hold the ball longer by design. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, OSU can generally provide great protection so an offense that generates stress via putting downfield defenders in conflict isn’t a bad thing. It’s very different than the Shanavay stuff that he’s running now and it’s to his credit that he can perform well in both schemes. It’s also why the “holds the ball too long” criticism was a little disingenuous. It didn’t take into account the design of the offense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

xbilkis posted:

My whole thing with that game was that Stroud was already a very, very good QB prospect based on the entire body of his work in college to that point...and then in the biggest game of his career, against an elite defense, he had a performance that showed he was capable of performing at an even higher level, in a way that almost explicitly addressed most of the biggest question marks about him as a prospect.

During a pre-draft process where people were talking themselves into Anthony Richardson as a possible #1 guy because of his ceiling, I was baffled that people didn't see more significance in Stroud tangibly showing that he could play incredibly well while facing significant pressure and creating out of sequence. He was a high floor, high ceiling guy!

Agreed. He was a really good QB for his entire career, even ignoring the Georgia game he was a very solid prospect.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I think by the end of the draft process Daniels is going to have jumped Maye. He’s going to rise based on measurables like Richardson did but he’s also got two years of showing he can actually play football as well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am reposting to this page because what the heck!!!

Daniels quietly had an absolutely insane season but the defense was so bad a lot of people didn’t notice.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

He won the Heisman so I would say it was fairly noticed. LSU just wasn’t ever in the championship picture (because of said defense).

He was a sneaky Heisman winner, he flew under the radar for a lot of the year because LSU sucked.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nosre posted:

At this point Jayden has turned the 'top 2 and then a big dropoff for QBs' into the 'top 3' right? He might still be the 3rd of those, but it's hard to imagine him slipping to 15 even

I remain convinced that Jayden is going to jump Maye by the end of the process.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Raku posted:

I dunno, Watson and Dak both fell because they aren't white dudes with measurables, actual achievement and skill means nothing to the kind of teams looking to draft quarterbacks early (bad teams)

edit: Hell even Lamar was basically treated like a joke prospect

Daniels actually has measurables though and was super productive in college. It’s also a different league than it was even five years ago when Lamar was drafted. Richardson went 4th based on being big and fast and he sucks at playing QB. Daniels is going to run a 4.40-something 40, he’s 6-4, he will probably be 220-225 by draft time and he’s got enough arm for the NFL. He’s going to rise through the process.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Caleb and Jayden are worth taking in the top 5.

That’s right, I’m starting the “Jayden Daniels is better than Drake Maye” train. Daniels can make throws under pressure. Choo choo mother heckers!

I know we’ve had our differences but when you’re right you’re right and right now you’re very right.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

MPJ playing himself out of the first round in this game? He hasnt been good

He’s probably hurt. He came up limping after being sacked earlier in the game.

I don’t know that he was a first rounder in the first place though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

joe football posted:

to be fair, 'he's hurt' is an absolutely massive knock against him

lol yeah

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

JJ and Penis both looked mediocre out there tonight imo

No I do not watch much CFB

JJ is mediocre. You got the full experience.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Alaois posted:

JJ McCarthy is not only a bad quarterback but he's also a complete freak that i cant imagine any coach would want to deal with other than jim harbaugh who is also a complete freak in a similar way

Good thing for McCarthy that Jimbo is going to be coaching in the NFL next season then.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Denver sitting there at 12 is gonna pull the trigger

Payton is pretty particular about what he wants in a QB, really depends on whether he things Penix fits his system.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

a neat cape posted:

If he passes, the Raiders are at 13

I’m not so sure. There were plenty of QB needy teams last year and Levis still dropped despite getting first round buzz up until the draft.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I guess JJ could do well as the QB of a team with an offense similar to Michigan’s or the Lions

Watch the Falcons draft him somehow is what I’m saying

There’s no team in the NFL that’s similar to Michigan’s because you simply can’t get away with only passing the ball 40% of the time in the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Doltos posted:

It was a stupid fluff piece said during the NCG when they were talking about McCarthy's sports psychologist. I'm not sure about the left handed toothbrushing but sports psychology is real and effective for athletes.

Can’t imagine how bad JJ would suck without a sports psychologist if he’s this bad with one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Gully Foyle posted:

There are differences in guaranteed amounts and other language that can go into the contract as well, even if the dollar amount is fixed. The primary use of an agent for a rookie is to keep him up at the top of the draft lists, basically as a marketing agent. Also as a PR manager for any stories that come out prior to the draft (whether it's an old lovely tweet, or a poor performance at a pro day/combine, etc). Whether or not that has an effect in the end this year, who knows.

To put it another way, an agent's maximum commission for NFL contracts is 3%. On the #1 draft spot contract, thats about $1.14 million to the agent. If you are drafted #2 instead of #1, you lose about $1.7 million in contract value.

1sr round rookie contracts are fully guaranteed. The only thing that’s up for negotiation is offset language and that’s only an issue if teams are trying to negotiate very cheap.

The other stuff matters more if you aren’t the odds on favorite to be the first pick, which Caleb has been for two years now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kinda hard to guess at what the Chargers will do when they don’t even have a GM or coach.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Daniel Jeremiah's first mock. 3 QBs followed by 3 WRs.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1748418124154863762?s=20

Bo Nix? Get the gently caress out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wanna know who was the first pundit to call TLaw a "generational prospect".

Lawrence was the number 1 recruit in country coming out of high school, won a national
Championship his first year starting, went back to the national championship the next year after an undefeated regular season, improved each year in college and has prototypical size and arm strength.

He was legitimately a generational prospect, he looked the part at basically every stop. Sometimes guys just don’t live up to their potential.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kirios posted:

I remember getting flak in this very thread when I said McCarthy was a first round pick.

Teams can't help themselves when they see the arm talent. He's definitely a project though.

JJ McCarthy *shouldn’t* be a first round pick but that doesn’t mean he won’t be. I doubt he will be, but teams do dumb poo poo all the time.

Likewise I don’t think Penix is a worth a first but it could happen.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

Penix barring terrible medicals is going to go probably somewhere between 8-11.

We already know he has terrible medicals. We also haven’t even entered silly season yet, there’s plenty of time for pretty much everyone other than Williams to rise and fall based on pro days, combine performance, news leaks, team interviews, the weather, the tides, and whether their mom was maybe a prostitute.

Plus some of those QB needy teams will sign guys like Fields, Kyler (presuming Arizona moves on) and Kirk and punt on taking the 4th or 5th QB on their board this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He’s the only QB I’ve actually heard positive things about all Senior Bowl. More specifically, he’s the only QB at the Senior Bowl who I’ve heard the term “Letting It Rip.” That’s a good thing. Any QB that can turn off their brain and spin the rock is bound to be at least good.

Have you blocked out Rex Grossman and Jameis Winston from memory?

Hell, the reason Rattler is where he is despite coming into college as a presumptive star is that he turns his brain off a lot too much.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

Evaluating guys who've only had one really high-level season is tough. Joe Burrow was basically a one-year wonder too, so it's not always a red flag.

Daniels had 28 total TDs and 3800 yards in 2022, it wasn’t exactly a bad season.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Cash Monet posted:

Daniels is tall and slim and will be taking hits NFL pass rushers. He also runs like Robert Griffin. Durability is going to be a concern.

He’s more elusive than Griffin when he wants to be, he just needs to learn not to invite contact. He didn’t really have durability issues in college and it’s not like the guys he was playing against were scrubs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Anthony Richardson has 30 pounds on Daniels and he died after like 3 games. The "learn not to invite contact" bit can't be overstated.

Richardson was also injured every 3 games in college, even from mild hits. The guy is just fragile for whatever reason. He doesn’t even really invite contact, he just gets hurt by everything.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Love sat because they wanted to change his mechanics (and also because Rodgers started playing really well again). If there’s some specific mechanical thing that you want to fix then letting a guy sit makes sense because you just can’t do that when a guy is playing every week, they’re going to revert to old habits under pressure.

If you’re just sitting them for some nebulous reason like “they’ll learn by sitting and watching” then I think you’re hindering their development because the best way to learn is to play.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

JJ is someone who if I was willing to take him in the early parts of Day 2, I would try to trade up into Day 1 to take him, since I'd plan on burning one year, and would want the 5th year option.

Also you could probably try and finesse a trade back and pick him if it does look like he's falling that far.

I mean Rams at 19 make a decent amount of sense.

Arizona if I squint, could probably get away with it. Although they have so many other needs I wouldn't do it

Seahawks perhaps.

Buccaneers maybe if something weird happens with Baker.

Pending Free Agency, or other aggressive trades I really don't see him falling past the Vikings/Saints/Oakland/Broncos

QBs don’t go in the second half of the 1st round all that often and when they do they’re pretty invariably a bad pick. I think most teams prefer to take a flyer on a guy in round 2 or 3 once they’ve already missed out on the top tier prospects. Teams are desperate but 2022 showed that they won’t take a guy in the first just to take a guy, they have to actually like their tape and see 1st round value.

I think the relatively poor performance of the 2021 class is also going to carry weight here. Who is lining up to take the next Mac Jones?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

Two of the last 3 were hits, you've got Pickett in '22, then Love in '20 and Lamar in '18. If we expand the cutoff to be unkind to ourselves, you add in Mac Jones and Dwayne Haskins as 15th picks in '21 and '19 though.

However before that it's a true wasteland, with a sea of suck until you go back to Flacco in '08.

So really, maybe only the Packers and Ravens should pick QB's in the 2nd half of the first.

Lamar was also a trade up to 32, he was basically a second rounder. He was also hilariously productive in college and fell for stupid reasons, pretty much the exact opposite of JJ who has worse passing stats than Lamar did in college when the big knock against Lamar was that he was a bad passer.

Love spent three years on the bench so even if you count him as a success based on half a year of good production most teams don’t have the luxury of taking a guy in the first to sit for years behind a HoF QB.

Unique situations in both cases and exceptions that prove the rule I’d say.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

Love was uh like the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league during that stretch of 11 games. I'm curious to see what happens once DC's crunch tape on the Packers to counter him, but it's probably pretty safe to at least start prepping the coronation ceremony to crown his rear end.

This pains me so goddamn much to say.

Eh, Brock Purdy was the best QB in the league statistically for the entire year but he kinda looked like rear end in the playoffs. I think both Love and Purdy have floors that will keep them in the league and their ceilings are TBD, but it was a weird year overall for QB play and I’m not sure how representative it will end up being for where these guys actually end up ranking.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Yes. They were drafting a good QB when they didn't need one because the following several QB classes were poo poo.

They drafted him because they thought Rodgers was toast. I think the Packers were as surprised as anyone when he rebounded to MVP form for the next two years. They weren’t planning on sitting Jordan that long.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Packers would have probably hosed it up and taken a defensive guy who they misused, but they could have taken, say, Tee Higgins instead of Love and I don’t think there’s any argument that he would have been useful in 2021 and 2022.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

That man doesn't tell his rookie recievers his secret hand signals.

Tee Higgins makes a mistake, and he's never getting a ball thrown his way again.

Ask Christian Watson.

He threw a bunch to Allen Lazard, because he had to. He’d have thrown to Tee Higgins if he’d been there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

Allen Lazard is his trusted vet and blanket. He will never not throw to Lazard. He will make your team sign Allen Lazard despite him being sorta cooked, and you having far better options on staff.

Lazard only played in 1 game his first year and got 52 targets in his second year and stayed right in that range until Adams left and he was the primary target in 2022. In 2019 Rodgers threw to him about as often as anyone not named Davante Adams.

In 2022 Doubs had more targets than Lazard had in any previous year. Watson did as well. And neither guy played a full season.

Tee Higgins would have been in his 3rd year in 2022, I’m guessing Rodgers would have thrown the ball to him. MVS was the second most targeted receiver in 2020 and he could catch poo poo. Rodgers is a big baby but he would actually throw the ball to young receivers, even not very good ones, when he had to.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Eh, we both know the draft has been littered with guys who tried to coast at the NFL level who were drafted high that coaching staffs and front offices thought they could motivate and there's a whole lot of guys who were too small or too slow who ended up hall of famers.

Most of the small/slow guys never make it past the practice squad but there’s certainly a ton of them who just can’t hack it physically at the NFL level no matter how hard they work.

On the flip side you’ve already got to be extremely dedicated to make it to the NFL no matter how talented you are and I think you’re overstating the number of super talented guys who just refused to try. For every high profile lazy guy there are 10x the number that are talented and also work super hard.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

I think I'm coming around on the notion of JJ McCarthy being QB3.

I was reminded, that Jim Harbaugh didn't let loving Andrew Luck throw the ball much more in college.

God his draft process is gonna be fun.

And yet Luck still managed to be way more productive than JJ and also put a lot more on tape.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wandler20 posted:

If you'd rather take your shot in the top 10 on a position that isn't a premium position that's your problem. I think it's dumb. And you're not taking EDGE5 in the top 10, that argument doesn't even make sense.

Detroit’s first three picks were RB, off ball linebacker, and TE ergo they must have been awful this year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Doltos posted:

The draftniks are right on this one

To be for to Jayden he's like the inverse Richardson where he'll get absolutely destroyed but pop right back up like it's nothing.

I haven’t done a rewatch but my recollection is that he got didn’t do that as much as the season went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

JJ McCarthy feels like the most Sean McVay QB ever.

Depending on the convos that Stafford is having with McVay if he falls that far I would not be surprised if they take him.

McVay has basically only ever pursued one QB in his career and that was Stafford. In what way is McCarthy similar to late career Matt Stafford?