Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MJeff posted:

I was kind of under the impression that the Athletic was always structured the way it was, pay top dollar to attract top tier sports journalism talent and make yourself an elite name in sports coverage as a loss leader, with the intention to get bought by some bigger entity and then parachute the gently caress outta there the instant the ink was dry.

The Athletic specifically was a venture capital funded project so they were almost always going to be pushed into a sale but they were pulling in ~$80M in revenue the year they sold. Even if they were unprofitable at the time that’s a pretty healthy revenue stream they could’ve stuck with had they been interested in doing normal operational cost controls like reducing their insane marketing spend. I mean they straight up proved the subscription model is a viable business for media and helped spawn the worker owned sites that have been popping up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

he did everything he is supposed to do as a Chargers QB. which is to lose

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think some of their writers hosed off to substack and make more now doing their own newsletter / podcasts than they made as staff writers.

Sucks that the athletic died in the rear end because it was great for a while but can't fault the ones who jumped.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

are you guys saying the athletic's coverage has declined for all sports? because i'm still quite happy with the baseball coverage. if anything, that's gotten better.

i really don't read them for anything else so not sure if i'm simply an idiot who's just happy with whatever they shill for baseball or just blind to the decline.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Omne posted:

The Athletic should have kept to its original premise: pay for good quality sports journalism. Then they brought in ads. Then they started consolidating local coverage. Then they sold to NYT. Then NYT fired their sports team. Then they downsized The Athletic writing staff again.

The circle of life

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

are you guys saying the athletic's coverage has declined for all sports? because i'm still quite happy with the baseball coverage. if anything, that's gotten better.

i really don't read them for anything else so not sure if i'm simply an idiot who's just happy with whatever they shill for baseball or just blind to the decline.

it's very hit or miss in my experience-- premier league/EU soccer still seem to have pretty robust reporting too, and a nice balance of actual deep dives/analysis with the inevitable ESPN-type stuff

otherwise it seems to be whether your team is in a big market, most of the NFC East teams for example seem to have dedicated beat reporters and consistent content. other teams just get relegated to mentions in national writeups + tagged to weekly vegas updates, i guess to give the illusion of regularly posted content

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The beat writers for the Minnesota sports I think are top notch. But I also rarely go to the athletic for national coverage. I basically only read "my" teams.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh yeah i don't fault anyone whose team still has beat writers for subscribing-- that's just a dwindling population with their staff cuts

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

stuker posted:

oh yeah i don't fault anyone whose team still has beat writers for subscribing-- that's just a dwindling population with their staff cuts

This.

I'll stay subscribed as long as Daniel Popper is covering the Chargers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

how did Justin fit this pass in

https://twitter.com/TheoAshNFL/status/1726710429614014673

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

This.

I'll stay subscribed as long as Daniel Popper is covering the Chargers

This was me. As soon as Greg Auman left for Fox Sports I cut my subscription. Wasn't even worth the $1 a month promo they offered when I cancelled at that point.

Also, Chiefs are gonna have to ride the defense if they want any chance to repeat this year huh?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Come to New Orleans buddy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I know there were drops at the end but neither offense was good tonight

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

He also had one of those on a TD pass that was extremely impressive

e: https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1726341280635183421?t=cCO4g7QHIdJ6xktkKMYB5A&s=19

lol the Packers defender jumping in frustration because the ball went just by him

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 21, 2023

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Wrong thread

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's technically impressive, but a good coach chews him the gently caress out for throwing into a sea of opponents like that. 7/10 something bad happens there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Good lord that was an ugly game. Chiefs uh. you might wanna address that WR situation cuz good lord they are trash.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's technically impressive, but a good coach chews him the gently caress out for throwing into a sea of opponents like that. 7/10 something bad happens there.

lol I dare Staley to say one cross word to Herbie right now

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Barudak posted:

Come to New Orleans buddy

Happy to be where future HOF chargers QBs end up.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

also if Herbert constantly gets away with it, and he does, I would say keep on going bud

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't want herbert to stop making these insane throws into tight windows.

I want receivers to catch them

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AndrewP posted:

lol I dare Staley to say one cross word to Herbie right now

I said a good coach. I hope the wee boy doesn't get fired till after Sunday night.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

also if Herbert constantly gets away with it, and he does, I would say keep on going bud

Yeah

https://twitter.com/InsideherJay/status/1726344451730423871?t=R59BbbncQadEbO6QXQ9aJw&s=19

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pretty sure any shot the Lions had at the 1 seed just went through MVS' stupid hands. :|

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that game whipped rear end

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

I was going to say I like their national baseball stuff and their mets guy is decent. I really liked their Eagles beat writers but one left for the ringer last year and the other two hosed off to some new vc funded sports thing which is kinda funny for obvious reasons. The guy they got to replace them has not made a great impression.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Shindragon posted:

Good lord that was an ugly game. Chiefs uh. you might wanna address that WR situation cuz good lord they are trash.

Saw that Cut MVS was trending, and lol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinji2015 posted:

Saw that Cut MVS was trending, and lol:

He didn't really truly annoy me until tonight. Just annoyed me a bit. That one hurt though.

Watson was kinda worse though, although in less 'this is the game' situations other than the last one. Both of them screwed up deep shots by either giving up on the route or just doing something dumb earlier in the game too.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1726823197784580396

He seems to be taking it well.

video is :3: as hell

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, they need to get someone serviceable before the trade deadline.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

Pretty sure any shot the Lions had at the 1 seed just went through MVS' stupid hands. :|

It'll be tough, but the Eagles do play the Bills, 49ers, Seahawks, and Cowboys over the next few weeks, and could realistically drop any of those games. Of course, that may not be enough — even if the Eagles lose one, and the Lions win out, per the ESPN playoff machine they'll still retain the tiebreaker thanks to conference record and common opponents... unless they lose that one game to Seattle or Dallas, in which case Detroit has the chance to pull ahead based on Strength of Victory.

I do hope the Eagles just gently caress up in two games though, I really don't want to have to root for Dallas.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
There's absolutely no way this Eagles team beats that Cowboys team in Dallas. It's every bit as much a lock as Cowboys/Panthers was. Niners will also be a brutal game.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It felt like Mahomes was really trying to force things to his receivers even though it was clear that they all had the dropsies tonight. Like, there were multiple times where he had a wide-open RB for a gain of 4 or 5 and instead of the checkdown he tried to zip it to some dude who would completely whiff on it. Peyton or Eli said something about how when a receiver drops it he goes back to him, and, well, how many times can they let a guy down before he has the realization that it isn’t gonna get better?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

It felt like Mahomes was really trying to force things to his receivers even though it was clear that they all had the dropsies tonight. Like, there were multiple times where he had a wide-open RB for a gain of 4 or 5 and instead of the checkdown he tried to zip it to some dude who would completely whiff on it. Peyton or Eli said something about how when a receiver drops it he goes back to him, and, well, how many times can they let a guy down before he has the realization that it isn’t gonna get better?

Guys make a nice living looking amazing in practice and dogshit on game day I guess. Plus you kinda have to push the ball down field to keep the defense honest - that opens up the short poo poo. I mean - otherwise you get the Carolina offense where you have 30 completions for 145 yards and you want to shoot yourself, your head coach and your entire offensive roster by week 10.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kawalimus born in Kansas City, probably posted:

You're in luck because we are about to have a 2nd half of the season collapse that will be the end of Andy Reid. Mark my words: if the Chief miss the playoffs, Reid will be fired.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJeff posted:

get bought by some bigger entity and then parachute the gently caress outta there the instant the ink was dry.

I mean this is the standard business plan once you're past the mom and pop tier. It results in the enshittification of everything but :capitalism:

The Athletic started out great but pumping up subs and then selling it to the NYT generates way more money for the founders/investors and what happens next is someone else's problem so here we are

Ragnarok the Red posted:

video is :3: as hell

:3: Also I love her to death but my stupid rear end dog would 100000% just eat that bird. I will be hosed up for a good while when she finally passes (she's 11 and in good health) but it will also unlock some things we've wanted to do like have chickens. Which are impossible because she is insanely aggro toward any living creature who is not me, my wife, and our kids.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

MJeff posted:

A tale as old as time.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Honest question:

Did the Commanders embarrassing, pathetic, college-team-vs-pro-team loss to the rival Cowboys, on primetime Thanksgiving, the only game that the DC fans cared about left this season, surprise anyone?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

POST THE MAGIC TWEET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

pro starcraft loser posted:

Honest question:

Did the Commanders embarrassing, pathetic, college-team-vs-pro-team loss to the rival Cowboys, on primetime Thanksgiving, the only game that the DC fans cared about left this season, surprise anyone?

Yes, because of the turkey leg stunt.