Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Or attacked by a shark? Or won the lottery? Or any of those other one-in-a-million things?

I know three drat people who've been struck by lightning (one guy got it twice!), but only one lottery winner. No shark attack folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You're incredibly lucky. The chances of any of those things happening to you are astronomically less than them happening to anyone else.

You may be immortal to lightning.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 17, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have never broken a bone, so I'm pretty sure that's true.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Just imagine the chances of you knowing 3 people that have been struck by lightning and it happening to you. You're statistically immune from lightning damage.

If you were struck by lightning it would be a scientifically significant event that we don't have a theory for.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
ITT I learn I may be God.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

think you might be cursed, op. all leaving woe and misery and lightning strikes in your wake

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Das Boo posted:

A God. There's still fire and ice damage. Not to mention holy.

HorseMorsel
Sep 8, 2023
Imagine being so stupid as to be struck by lightning. If lightning was about to strike me, I'd simply jump out of the way.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I won a free dashboard camera on Amazon.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I won a free dashboard camera on Amazon.

How did you figure out it wasn't a scam?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Das Boo posted:

How did you figure out it wasn't a scam?

Amazon used to have this thing where you could enter to win things, and it was like a single button press thing. It was literally the first thing I clicked lol, but it was on their own website.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
My grandma once won the big lego set at the tombola.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HorseMorsel posted:

Imagine being so stupid as to be struck by lightning. If lightning was about to strike me, I'd simply jump out of the way.

gently caress this quest so hard

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If you get struck by lightning twice I'm gonna go ahead and say that's a you problem

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i actually did know someone who was eaten by a shark. he worked for a same company as me but he wasn't full time staff at the same place as me. met him a few times but it was his wife who worked in the office on site i knew better.

he was on holiday with her and he went missing snorkling near the island of Reunion and they found his arm inside a tiger shark, wedding ring hand too. pretty sad story really.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

My grandpa had a friend who won the lottery. They were both in the navy, and he couldn't get out of his contract. So he bought silk sheets fitted to his bunk lol.

He also drove a junker, habitually. He went out and bought a cool new car. It got stolen. So he got another. And it got stolen.

He grabbed a junker... and the fucker ran forever, never got stolen, but looked like utter poo poo.

I have vague memories of meeting him and playing with his kid, who was really loving weird. I also think he had a boat?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Praise You!

I know a lady who got struck by lightning. She's crazy, but in the "highly motivated I can't believe this person never stops doing stuff" way.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

If you get struck by lightning twice I'm gonna go ahead and say that's a you problem

Look wearing these metal gauntlets and sitting in this tree is just who I am ok?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I drowned (and was probably dead for a bit) from a riptide in the Pacific Ocean once.

But I’m alright now.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I drowned (and was probably dead for a bit) from a riptide in the Pacific Ocean once.

But I’m alright now.

cant be a riptide if you survive

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I won the lottery once but my prize was getting struck by lightning.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I paid $17.25 for a lottery ticket the other day and won $17.70

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Smugworth posted:

There's this guy who has been struck by lightning 7 times and at that point you've gotta be eating lightning rods or something

https://sports.yahoo.com/roy-sullivan-struck-lightning-seven-101301879.html

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

my wife can get a stuffed animal out of a claw machine in one try.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's this guy who has been struck by lightning 7 times and at that point you've gotta be eating lightning rods or something

https://sports.yahoo.com/roy-sullivan-struck-lightning-seven-101301879.html

I read somewhere once you're struck once, you're far more likely to be struck again. Maybe just cuz you're a dumbass, IDK.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Smugworth posted:

My boss has been struck twice. They've also been farming for decades, which understandably skews the odds.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Total Party Kill posted:

my wife can get a stuffed animal out of a claw machine in one try.

I've always told myself that if I became a millionaire, I'd buy a claw machine to practice on.
A dream of mine is to get as good as your wife. :allears:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

But I’m alright now.

actually your in hell rn

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

actually your in hell rn

We all are!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I got chicken pox twice :(

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I did know someone. Classmate at the time. Died a couple of days later.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I don't think any of those exist tbh

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I’ve been thunderstruck

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

HorseMorsel posted:

I've done that 200 times in a row before

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Das Boo posted:

Or attacked by a shark? Or won the lottery? Or any of those other one-in-a-million things?

I know three drat people who've been struck by lightning (one guy got it twice!), but only one lottery winner. No shark attack folks.

Used to go diving with a guy who survived a really bad great white shark attack that required over 400 stitches (i knew him many decades after the attack but he'd quite happily show anyone asking about it the scars). He still has a shark tooth embedded deep in his wrist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Uh yeah so do I it's because I had a shark tooth bracelet and fell on it while skateboarding

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

cant be a riptide if you survive

Says who? It was a riptide that sucked my dumb 11 year old rear end down under the water out to a 1/4 mile from the shore. I remember it clear as day and I even lost a few minutes of time struggling to survive and get above the water and even remember the feeling of dying (or possibly even doing so for a bit, which accounts for the lost time).

Then, just like that, instantaneously my head is above water coughing up water and gasping, very much alive, but barely. I swam back to shore and acted like nothing happened. I never even told my family it happened until around twenty years later.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Says who? It was a riptide that sucked my dumb 11 year old rear end down under the water out to a 1/4 mile from the shore. I remember it clear as day and I even lost a few minutes of time struggling to survive and get above the water and even remember the feeling of dying (or possibly even doing so for a bit, which accounts for the lost time).

Then, just like that, instantaneously my head is above water coughing up water and gasping, very much alive, but barely. I swam back to shore and acted like nothing happened. I never even told my family it happened until around twenty years later.

Congrats on surviving friend!

Did you learn the lesson of the riptide?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Congrats on surviving friend!

Did you learn the lesson of the riptide?

I haven’t been in the ocean since, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I haven’t been in the ocean since, so yes.

Understandable. IF ever in a riptide event again, don't fight it, just keep your head above water, breathing. Wait for the tide to break, which it will. And then swim ashore.