Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Oh! To answer the question, I won a new BMX bike in a raffle when I was 8 at a local discount store called Yellow Front.

Then when I was 10, I won a new 19 inch color TV in another raffle at the same store. However, since I wasn’t 18 years old, I was ineligible to win and they wouldn’t give me the prize.

Later that year, the store declared bankruptcy and closed their doors forever.

Should have given me the TV :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I won a GameCube from EB

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
My dad was struck by lightning when he was a kid.

He was running home in the rain carrying an umbrella, the kind with a metal point on top.

Lightning struck a telephone pole right near him, arced to the umbrella then to the ground.

He screamed and threw the umbrella.

He knows what happened because his mother was watching through the window.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I knew a guy in college that was working on the volunteer hybrid electric vehicle project we had. Electrical engineering student.
He tried to rewire a high voltage outlet in the garage to a lower voltage that was needed. He did it with the circuit live.
He shorted it out with a screwdriver and the explosion knocked him about 6 feet across the room. The other students called the campus hospital and medics were there shortly.

He was perfectly fine.

He always had the nickname, "One-eye Jim". He had two perfectly fine eyes, but always wore this t-shirt that read, "Do not look into laser with remaining eye".

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
My older brother’s cabin at summer camp got hit by lightning when he was a teen. He claims everyone was shocked but I have no idea if he was full of poo poo.

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

cant be a riptide if you survive

I was in a fair amount of rescues in riptides over my years lifeguarding at the beach, they’re absolutely dangerous but it’s not a death sentence. They only pull out, so survival/rescue involves pulling people sideways until we’re out of the pull.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I haven’t been in the ocean since, so yes.

Completely understandable, but if you ever go back by any means, you can identify a riptide from shore by seeing if the waves break, they don’t break in riptides.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
I have a friend who was leading a hiking trip in Arizona when he and several other people were struck by lightning. One of them died.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/06/28/lightning-kills-one-injures-several-other-at-mogollon-rim-abrk/29434993/

I was originally supposed to join this trip but dropped out at the last minute

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Total Party Kill posted:

my wife can get a stuffed animal out of a claw machine in one try.

That's a keeper, right there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Total Party Kill posted:

my wife can get a stuffed animal out of a claw machine in one try.

:):hf::)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Friend of a friend was doing some kind of equipment maintenance out in an orchard that had these deep long ditches that were half full of water from a recent rain. He made just a small driving mistake and flipped his work truck completely upside-down into the ditch.

Maybe, maybe a small guy could've kicked out the window and wiggled out before drowning in the cabin, but this poor fellow was well in excess of 350 pounds and stood no chance, really.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I know a couple of people, all of whom were wilderness adventure guides

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They must be really good at it if they can guide the lightning into their bones

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Human Lightning Rods

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I survived an elephant attack and I am almost certain I have observed ball lightning in my home.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 19, 2023

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I have been struck by elemental lighting a few times.

Once was when I was young and went to turn a lamp off and I was reaching over without looking and the fixture for the bulb was really shallow and I touched the metal part of the bulb which was a good 1/2" or so above the socket. Got a nice little zap from that, fingers were a little numb.

Another time while at work this power supply switch stopped working so I took it apart and redid the switch and just tried to test it while it was still open. Well one of the wires was touching the housing of the power supply which the rest of my hand was on while my thumb hit the power supply switch. Loud pop, lights flickering and I missed about 5 seconds and was now a few feet away on my rolling chair.

This other time I was sweeping up while my friend's house was being built and there was an exposed wire hanging down which brushed my shoulder, that was just a pop and a little burn on my jacket, no damage to me.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My dad was struck by lightning as a child. DM for details

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

JustCallMeDC posted:

it’s not a death sentence. They only pull out, so survival/rescue involves pulling people sideways until we’re out of the pull.

Jealous.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

back when sodas had contests that you had to check the bottom of the cap to see the result for, two friends of mine, while they didn't win the contest grand prize or anything, got nearly 20 free sodas in a row by revealing a free soda token instead

the odds of even one free soda were supposed to be 1 in 8 :stare: :stare: :stare:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My mom has three kidneys!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I gave bone marrow once to an unrelated person. There's about a 1 in 10,000 chance to match with an unrelated donor on the registry.

I also got sucked the gently caress out buggy boarding on riptide a few times but wearing a wet suit makes swimming back just super duper poo poo instead of life or death.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Three Olives posted:

I survived an elephant attack and I am almost certain I have observed ball lightning in my home.

Want deets on the motherfucking elephant attack.
And around 20 years ago, my sister and sister in-law swear they saw ball lightning while they were hanging out in our living room. That's how we learned that’s a thing with disputed existence!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Metaline posted:

My mom has three kidneys!

Drunk all the the time but also sober hell yeah

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i won the lottery but the pile of money got set on fire by lightning

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

JustCallMeDC posted:

I was in a fair amount of rescues in riptides over my years lifeguarding at the beach, they’re absolutely dangerous but it’s not a death sentence.

they say RIP when you die, ergo it's not a riptide :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ball lightning, located inside the kitchen?

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i actually did know someone who was eaten by a shark. he worked for a same company as me but he wasn't full time staff at the same place as me. met him a few times but it was his wife who worked in the office on site i knew better.

he was on holiday with her and he went missing snorkling near the island of Reunion and they found his arm inside a tiger shark, wedding ring hand too. pretty sad story really.

lol your co worker got shred to pieces :D

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

hard counter posted:

back when sodas had contests that you had to check the bottom of the cap to see the result for, two friends of mine, while they didn't win the contest grand prize or anything, got nearly 20 free sodas in a row by revealing a free soda token instead

the odds of even one free soda were supposed to be 1 in 8 :stare: :stare: :stare:
Your friends recognized what my friends and I recognized as kids - You could hold the bottle up and look at the bottom of the cap at an angle. We drank for free all summer, and won tickets to a concert.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

One of my standard job interview questions is "is this a new position or just an opening." The follow-up if it's the latter is "how people have had this position in the last five years." One time the resulting conversation while the interviews figured that out was that one of my would-be predecessors was eaten by a shark. The interviewer who didn't know that was deathly afraid of sharks. It was a pretty great interview. I worked there for nine years.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My grandma used to insist that when she was a girl she and other family members all saw ball lightning float from room to room in their house.

For some reason this story would keep coming up year after year when I’m with my parents and every time it causes them to have the same stupid fight. My dad says the ball lightning story is bullshit because my grandma tended to make poo poo up and that doesn’t really happen. Then my mom gets mad at him suggesting her mother was a liar and ball lightning and other weird things electrical phenomena totally were a thing back when electricity in rural homes was still uncommon. They go back and forth about it and start yelling at each other then they sulk for a bit.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has there been documented video proof of ball lightning since tens (hundreds?) of billions of cameras were added to the world?

If there hasn't been grandma's a liar.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has there been documented video proof of ball lightning since tens (hundreds?) of billions of cameras were added to the world?

If there hasn't been grandma's a liar.

Liar is often too harsh a word. These folks aren't intentionally peddling falsehoods.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yes they are. If you say you saw something you didn't see, then that's a lie. There's no spin you can put on it.

E: No video proof but perhaps a university in China has measured it. :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ever met someone who doesn't like beans?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

ever met someone who doesn't like beans?

I met a woman once who'd never had rice.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

redshirt posted:

I met a woman once who'd never had rice.

:psyduck:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Right? From Ireland. Poe-tay-toes

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
my great grandma got struck by lightning twice but she was also some kind of witch and lived to be 98

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well since there was an overwhelming surge of interest as demonstrated by my inbox blowing up I'll post the tale of how my father was struck by lightning

His parents were Ukrainian refugees. They had to flee their homeland when the godless communists charged them with war crimes after World War part two. They persevered and with 3lbs 8oz in gold bullion and half a dozen cyanide capsules they went to the promised land; edmonton alberta.

To be cont'd....

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yes they are. If you say you saw something you didn't see, then that's a lie. There's no spin you can put on it.

E: No video proof but perhaps a university in China has measured it. :shrug:

Are you never mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
No but it seems like a cool way to get super powers other than radioactive poo poo or aliens or whatnot