Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I once won some lightening, then was struck by some jerk named lottery, who knocked me to the ground and proceed to steal my drat lightening.

There was no dinner that night in the dr rat house hold. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I was on a southwest flight where lightning struck the front and I could swear it arced across the bulkhead (where I was sitting). We had to “emergency” land at the nearest airport.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My dad struck by lightning part 2: the static electrical boogaloo

So my dad was spending the weekend at his grandparents house, the friedlands when there was a nasty electrical sturm the likes of which you only get in the prairies he watched with bated breath from a ground level window. There was a brilliant flash that photo inposed bright lightning bolts and a black sun and inprinted on him the next thing he knew he knew he was waking up across the room

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BONE DOG posted:

My dad struck by lightning part 2: the static electrical boogaloo

So my dad was spending the weekend at his grandparents house, the friedlands when there was a nasty electrical sturm the likes of which you only get in the prairies he watched with bated breath from a ground level window. There was a brilliant flash that photo inposed bright lightning bolts and a black sun and inprinted on him the next thing he knew he knew he was waking up across the room

Were you born of this storm?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

So it's told that the electrification of my daddy's balls that day may have resulted in the power of my inception. Yes. I'll acknowledge that is a possibility

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Are you never mistaken?

Almost always but I never make up seeing things I didn't see.

I'm not saying grandma mistook seeing mysterious balls of light floating around in her house for ball lighting. I think she never saw any balls of light to begin with. She made it up.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

how has noone posted this yet? this woman has some important words for anyone thinking about getting struck by lightning.

https://youtu.be/I482t6JhL4g?si=g33pHy5DU6IfKrfM

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm among an extremely select group of people who have a 1-in-a-million "Something Awful Forums Account"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm among an extremely select group of people who have a 1-in-a-million "Something Awful Forums Account"

bad choice!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

We're all winners here. Also consider the odds of sperm and egg fertilization.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I saw a ball of light once

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Lightning? No. But closest I got was accidentally grounding my leg while standing too close to a 15,000V Jacob's ladder I had built. I briefly saw a white flash arc to my hand and, next thing I knew, I was on my back on the floor a few feet away and was sitting up to try to figure out what just happened. First thing I saw was a friend of mine standing on the other side of the room with his mouth hanging cartoonishly wide open in shock, staring at me on the floor. My right arm swelled up and stunk link burned hair/flesh for the rest of the day and I had a mmmmmmassive headache for a while.

I really, really, really wish I hadn't thrown away the primary transformer I used for that build. :( I could never afford to replace it with an equivalent, now.

(for those unaware, you really don't want 15kV pulsing across the length of your body from your hands down through your legs. there are some very important and sensitive organs in that pathway.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was once struck by a Ford F-150 Lightning

Seems like such a better value than a POS cybertruck

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I was on a southwest flight where lightning struck the front and I could swear it arced across the bulkhead (where I was sitting). We had to “emergency” land at the nearest airport.

It was probably St Elmo's Fire aka Witchfire

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I scored four rushing touchdowns in pee wee football game as a child. I didn't win the lottery but I made Al Bundy proud.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

My wife's bagpipe teacher has been struck by lightning twice. He jokes that it's because God hates bagpipes.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
this is a friend of a friend thing, long ago. But I knew a friend that knew a guy's whos work won the lottery. Like big. Millions, and millions. They'd go in as an office. Well, dude was on vacation and didn't pitch in when they got the winning numbers.

They didn't give him poo poo and they all quit. SUPPOSEDLY, he understood and was okay with it, but I'd be on a got dang mission. They'd be doing it together for months.

i guess i could of just lied and said a friend.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's this guy who has been struck by lightning 7 times and at that point you've gotta be eating lightning rods or something

https://sports.yahoo.com/roy-sullivan-struck-lightning-seven-101301879.html

"Sullivan was first hit in April 1942. He took cover in a fire lookout tower during a thunderstorm. The tower didn't have a lightning rod and the building caught fire. He headed outside and was struck by lightning."

:lol:

This guy was a park ranger in a high thunderstorm area. So at a far high risk than most people. But the last time he was struck, he was just asking for it:

"On Saturday, June 25, 1977, Sullivan was hit while out fishing. The lightning struck his head and set his hair on fire. The bolt travelled through him and burnt his chest and stomach."

Maybe every time after he gets struck, he says to himself, "Yep, that's it. Statistically, I can never be struck by lightning again, so I never have to worry about it."

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has there been documented video proof of ball lightning since tens (hundreds?) of billions of cameras were added to the world?

If there hasn't been grandma's a liar.

Ball lighning is very rare, but has been recorded on video by researchers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning#Direct_measurements_of_natural_ball_lightning

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ralph Hurley posted:

My grandma used to insist that when she was a girl she and other family members all saw ball lightning float from room to room in their house.

For some reason this story would keep coming up year after year when I’m with my parents and every time it causes them to have the same stupid fight. My dad says the ball lightning story is bullshit because my grandma tended to make poo poo up and that doesn’t really happen. Then my mom gets mad at him suggesting her mother was a liar and ball lightning and other weird things electrical phenomena totally were a thing back when electricity in rural homes was still uncommon. They go back and forth about it and start yelling at each other then they sulk for a bit.

So a few years ago during a thunderstorm a glowing orb appeared and disappeared in our dining room when my husband and myself were in the kitchen, I didn't say anything because I thought he would think that I was crazy/having a mental episode, after a bit he was like "Um, please don't think I am crazy, but did you see something in our dining room a little bit ago" "Um, a glowing light orb? Yeah, I thought you would think I was crazy"

I don't know what it is but it would be one hell of a coincidence if we both saw the thing that matches the description of ball lighting.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
Hit by lightning once as a kid while playing in the rain. Not a bolt, but what I can only describe as a sheet. Fell, got up less than a minute later, and got the gently caress inside.

Then was standing on a rainy hill with a bunch of military peeps one day when lightning hit the hill. Multiple people standing in rain puddles all just dropped. I was a paramedic at the time, and there was a new doctor with us, like a GP or something, asking me what he should do. "Ask your med school for a refund doc"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Fly a kite in storms gorge is an outlier and should not be counted

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I once saw somebody post on something awful, even though those forums are dead

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BigBadSteve posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning#Direct_measurements_of_natural_ball_lightning

Testicle lightning.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

lightning is stored in the...? sky?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Or attacked by a shark? Or won the lottery? Or any of those other one-in-a-million things?

I know three drat people who've been struck by lightning (one guy got it twice!), but only one lottery winner. No shark attack folks.

Is your friend's name Rod like a real life Garbage Pail Kid?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I spent legit effort as a child trying to get bit by spiders, in order to gain Spider-Man powers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

redshirt posted:

I spent legit effort as a child trying to get bit by spiders, in order to gain Spider-Man powers.

Did one ever bite you?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Did one ever bite you?

Of course, I carried spiders around on me all the time, imagine my mother's joy.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

redshirt posted:

Of course, I carried spiders around on me all the time, imagine my mother's joy.

You must have several powers. Best to not reveal them here, though.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Total Party Kill posted:

lightning is stored in the...? sky?

*nodding sagely* lightning is stored in the clouds

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What are clouds but the balls of the sky

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dr_rat posted:

What are clouds but the balls of the sky

but if piss is stored in the balls then rain is....

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Somewhat lame answer but if any of yall have time, here's a podcast episode about a dude who was struck by lighting and its been lodged in my memory ever since I first listened to it, i highly recommend it.

This lightning strike event itself isn't remarkable - its probably one of the more mundane human strikes in history because he shakes it off and goes home that night. But in his case, being struck by lightning can scramble around your nervous system and also leave you with some nasty psychological damage on top of that. Its basically electric long covid, for lack of a better word. Not sure if that happens to all lightning strike survivors, or even a minority of them, but it makes me go inside during lightning now lol.

https://www.outsideonline.com/podcast/struck-lightning-redux/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BigBadSteve posted:

I'd love to know why it appears indoors in so many reports. Multiple accounts of it appearing on planes and one report I found particularly funny had it appearing the the kitchen and going out the cat door.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Is your friend's name Rod like a real life Garbage Pail Kid?

Hm... Daryll... Barrel... Trash Barrel Child? Maybe gently caress, imagine being an off-brand Garbage Pail Kid.

What were we talking about?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I'd love to know why it appears indoors in so many reports. Multiple accounts of it appearing on planes and one report I found particularly funny had it appearing the the kitchen and going out the cat door.

maybe it's like the horror movie Shocker and a dude like santa rides the lightning into your house instead of a reindeer drawn sled. And gives you death instead of presents

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

redshirt posted:

My wife was born in the basement of a hospital that was being shredded by a tornado.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still do not have outright spider powers. Though I do feel as if I "move as a spider" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I know a guy who won ten million dollars.

He’s being smart with his money and never has to work again.