Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As my mother was cleaning out her storage locker, she decided to bring back a reel-to-reel player back to her house. To her and my father's surprise, it still worked! That's a miracle in and of itself, as working reel-to-reel machines are few and far between. So, she went through all the tapes that play on the device to see if she could find a recording of her dad's voice (he died when she was 13, and I never had a chance to hear his voice). Most of the recordings were of schmaltzy music (as would be the case for man born nearly 100 years ago). What she found on one of the tapes blew her mind: an hour-long debriefing from the CIA about guards at a Viet Cong base circa 1968.

I don't know if I've posted about this here, but my mother's dad was a spy working for the U.S. government (something my mom didn't know until about ten years ago [she also only found out about five years ago he wasn't her real father, but that's neither here nor there]). Now that my family has this recording, what should be done with it? I don't know if I can legally share it with you all, considering the recording starts with a stern-sounding man saying that it is burn before reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think you should definitely share it with us, nothing is possibly going to happen. There's no way somebody will come to your house because of some old vietnam reel thing, people surely have more important things to do than that.

gyrotachometer
Jul 20, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think you should definitely share it with us, nothing is possibly going to happen. There's no way somebody will come to your house because of some old vietnam reel thing, people surely have more important things to do than that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hahahaha, you are a great joker and kidder, what will you think of next

:tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You should probably contact the US military or FBI or something. They can figure out how to handle the classification (which may be over classified but eh). Heck, you could very plausibly get a cash bounty for doing the legally correct thing.

or you could share it here unredacted, it's been a bit since the something awful forums had someone arrested for their posting

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
UPDATE: it turns out he got turned on to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer after his time as a spy in Vietnam.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Edward Mass posted:

I don't know if I can legally share it with you all, considering the recording starts with a stern-sounding man saying that it is burn before reading.

Did you sign anything about classified material with the government? If no, you can't get in legal trouble as a private citizen. 1st amendment covers you.

Do you think you will ever want a job with a security clearance or sensitive info government work in the future? If yes, maybe don't share it.

(edit: the 1st covers you publishing it at least. You could get in trouble if you tried to secretly send it to foreign agents or something.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 18, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Post it here, then immediately close all your internet accounts, disconnect your phone and utilities, and move to a safe South American country.

(To any spooks reading this: Just jokin', m'kay.)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just say you declassified it. share it with any celebrities you know

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Edward Mass posted:

an hour-long debriefing from the CIA about guards at a Viet Cong base circa 1968.

tbh that sounds boring as poo poo outside of being an historical relic

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Get ready to see your grandpa banging lots of Vietnamese ladyboys who aren’t your grandma :thumbsup:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Get ready to see your grandpa banging lots of Vietnamese ladyboys who aren’t your grandma :thumbsup:

Bro, he's not even my grandfather - his bowling buddy got my grandma pregnant.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Edward Mass posted:

Bro, he's not even my grandfather - his bowling buddy got my grandma pregnant.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

UPDATE: it turns out he got turned on to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer after his time as a spy in Vietnam.

Wow PTSD really did gently caress a lot of those guys up

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Under the direction of Director Pompeo in 2017, the CIA in collaboration with the Department of Infrastructure and the lobbying wing of the house freedom caucus, unilaterally declassified and began to categorize all documents and other forms of media dated prior to the United States invasion of Grenada. However... retrieving, categorizing, and digitizing that many documents is estimated to be complete in the year 2035 since it's literally a two people (Agent Jay and Agent Kayla) in the entire agency who are assigned to the project. FOIA requests get bumped to the front of the queue but even then the return is a couple years.

So all of that to say, do it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you op for choosing a dying gay internet forum from the early 2000s to post possibly classified/declassified CIA recordings

Eat poo poo WarThunder !

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Literally eating popcorn while I'm watching this play out.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Please share it okay?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You brought it up, so you might as well.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Edward Mass posted:

As my mother was cleaning out her storage locker, she decided to bring back a reel-to-reel player back to her house. To her and my father's surprise, it still worked! That's a miracle in and of itself, as working reel-to-reel machines are few and far between. So, she went through all the tapes that play on the device to see if she could find a recording of her dad's voice (he died when she was 13, and I never had a chance to hear his voice). Most of the recordings were of schmaltzy music (as would be the case for man born nearly 100 years ago). What she found on one of the tapes blew her mind: an hour-long debriefing from the CIA about guards at a Viet Cong base circa 1968.

I don't know if I've posted about this here, but my mother's dad was a spy working for the U.S. government (something my mom didn't know until about ten years ago [she also only found out about five years ago he wasn't her real father, but that's neither here nor there]). Now that my family has this recording, what should be done with it? I don't know if I can legally share it with you all, considering the recording starts with a stern-sounding man saying that it is burn before reading.
there are natsec/foia journalists for major nationally known publications who would salivate at getting the scoop on these tapes and would drive to your house to make copies of the recording and take all legal liability of distributing the content with an entire legal department praying they get sued by the federal government to compel them to release their source

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

digitize it then record oppa gognam style in alvin and the chipmunks voice on the reel and turn it over to the cia, op

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

some nerd rear end spooks in langley will be all sweaty and or weirdly horned up getting to listen to it and then its that

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my dad has classified poo poo from the same era but from the west side of the berlin wall and not viet nam in the basement. it doesn't matter. none of this matters.

the computers/cryptography machines they used back then were all classified themselves and now all that poo poo is in museums.

you're not going to turn the tide of the viet nam war op. old uncle sam don't care, he's already got your money and is choking himself while jerking off

rio
Mar 20, 2008

We can still win this war but only if you share the tapes.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
release it so boards of canada and godspeed you! can sample it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i told the judge i said why don't you shut your loving mouth for once in your life and listen

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You could always contact the gov if you're worried you can't share it, likely all that classification stuff fell off years ago or was supposed to. Unless it's something that affects current national which is unlikely.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Grey Cat posted:

You could always contact the gov if you're worried you can't share it, likely all that classification stuff fell off years ago or was supposed to. Unless it's something that affects current national which is unlikely.
overclassification is 100% a thing even for the dumbest poo poo, wouldn't be surprised if it still is

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

mannerup posted:

overclassification is 100% a thing even for the dumbest poo poo, wouldn't be surprised if it still is

it's probably not even interesting to anyone outside the family and people actively in the vietnam war when the debrief happened, considering the stated content

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You have put yourself in tremendous danger just by posting this thread.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

What if this was the first domino that leads to Vietnam 2?

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

kntfkr posted:

you're not going to turn the tide of the viet nam war op.
I'm going to turn the tide of the Vietnam war. I'm holed up in the Ba Na hills. I just got smart radio phone service, stole it from a kid who must have been a spy. There's a golf course here now. It was probably built for Warsaw Pact bigwigs.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

This feels like guerrilla marketing for the monarch: legacy of monsters

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Vietnam War lol. Why would they classify that it was almost 100 years ago.

Oh yeah I have some intel on Alexander the Great’s troop movements in the Hindu Kush, let me telegram Glen Gould at the Intercept

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
sell it to trump he collects that kinda poo poo

just dont expect to get much for it

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
If you release the tapes, Bernie can still win.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Flowers for QAnon posted:

This feels like guerrilla marketing for the monarch: legacy of monsters

Welcome to Dick & Ballard Marketing LLC, your computer and chair are over there. Well really it's more of a stool. Anyways we won a major contract from Apple Films to produce a viral campaign for their new monkey show. Real hush hush stuff. You went to college for this right? Good, what I need you to do is find the master account list and start logging into each legacy account for every message board and IRC channel that's currently classified as "gay, dead, or dying." Many of these accounts have karma or a mid-tier post count. If you find a gay dying forum, webring, xanga, ... etc that we don't, submit a DIK request to kelly on the 3rd floor and she'll return an account in 3-4 days.

...the content? That's why we're paying you $12 an hour college boy, to come up with the content. I can't do everything myself. And submit all work through our machine learning engine. And listen before you get started the shitter is clogged again and the janitorial staff is out until after the holiday so I need you to find gloves and fix it, college boy.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Post in on your World of Tanks discord, that's the hot new trend

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Show it to kid rock. He'll know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I believe the president gave clear guidance OP you should store it in your bathroom (a secure compartment, if you will)