Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

WNCW out of Spindale, NC, kinda near Asheville.

old-time, bluegrass, singer-songwriter stuff, bands that don't show up on other stations. all live human being DJs. they do a bunch of themed shows throughout the week... there's a Zappa show, a couple of Dead shows, a reggae thing, a soul show, Celtic music, gospel on Sunday morning. NPR news in the mornings and on the hour and a couple public radio music shows.

good place to hear banjos if you're into that. I was listening to their pledge drive a couple years and they were announcing callers' names and thanking everybody and in the middle of it was "and Steve Martin... that Steve Martin, he calls in every year and we appreciate his support."

one of those bumper stickers one tends to see on Subaru Outbacks up and down the east coast.

Ah, this takes me back. I used to live in western North Carolina and WNCW was on my car's radio most of the time. Perfect listening for driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. That Zappa show came on Fridays at noon if I remember right because I can distinctly remember hearing it on my lunch breaks and thinking, "Frank Zappa is a loving weirdo."

One time a friend from the west coast came to visit and we were driving somewhere listening to WNCW. He was really thrown off when the DJ mentioned they were broadcasting from the campus of Isothermal Community College. Not what they expected from a radio station that was mostly banjo music.

I'll mention KEXP. They used to be really great for finding new music about a decade ago. These days they're starting to feel like an oldies station for gen xers and elder millennials but it's still a pretty safe bet if you just want some music on in the background.

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Why did they stop doing the Music That Matters podcast? I loved that podcast.