Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Redditors Vent and Complain When People Mock Their "AI Art"

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

I knew my gay dolphin days would catch up with me sometime

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you rescue this guy he'll give you a powerup.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Wonder dillphin indeed

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pigbuster posted:

I love how this is formatted as though it’s going to drop the mind blowing reveal that the AI was right at the end, but then it just... doesn’t, lol

"Look how good the AI is at lying and wasting your time!" fuuuuuck

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/shykids/status/1772347121296883981

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
wow! this poo poo sucks!

never mind that it's written and conceived like a loving US Bank ad, it 100% confirms that "only slow motion because no movement actually works with this" critique

also the main character is different in every shot. seems like a drawback, but what do I know I've only been doing film and tv for 20 years, i'm sure the tech guys are right and this is what everybody wants

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like when they clearly tried to go "See! We can do HANDS" except if you look at it at all it looks hilariously awful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

wow! this poo poo sucks!

never mind that it's written and conceived like a loving US Bank ad, it 100% confirms that "only slow motion because no movement actually works with this" critique

also the main character is different in every shot. seems like a drawback, but what do I know I've only been doing film and tv for 20 years, i'm sure the tech guys are right and this is what everybody wants

Get with the times old man, you’re obsolete now!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Doesn't look quite as good as Christ For Arms.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

https://twitter.com/abcdentminded/status/1772168071588762092

Earphone warning. Brian makes some... noises

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The funniest thing I've seen come out of that Family Guy ai thing was Lois refusing to perform the topic requested and the video abruptly ending

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Ah yes, peeyoonumonia!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/big_boy_berto/status/1772640711768174766

Some AI song generator, being used for exactly the kind of thing that would be used for, with people sharing tips on how to circumvent what rudimentary anti-hate speech the platform has. Did you know that 'inward' sounds kind of like 'n-word'?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cllickbaid

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
center most woman was just sent the goat man

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OUP AWS
:hmmyes:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

wow! this poo poo sucks!

It's impossible to deny how good that video looks compared to even a couple months ago. I'm reminded of digital photographs (and eventually green screen) replacing hand painted backdrops in film; this quote from one of the last remaining scenics seems appropriate:

quote:

In the early ’90s, Denering was working at Warner Bros. when a group of Japanese technicians came through with big cameras capable of simulating hand-painted backings. “I thought, oh man, here we go. We got a sample of what they printed. It was so blurry and horrible that we didn’t worry about it, but we knew it was coming.”

This absolutely isn't good enough for scripted television, but small-to-mid budget local advertising? Within months.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's impossible to deny how good that video looks compared to even a couple months ago. I'm reminded of digital photographs (and eventually green screen) replacing hand painted backdrops in film; this quote from one of the last remaining scenics seems appropriate:

This absolutely isn't good enough for scripted television, but small-to-mid budget local advertising? Within months.

wrong idiot

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
Show us will smith actively eating the spaghetti coward

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Good enough" isn't the same as "Good." You can use horrible AI created images but they are going to look various degrees of crappy and off to anyone who is doing more than glancing at them. Like we're still not even at the point where hand-crafted CGI can be comfortably mistaken for reality in most situations, AI isn't going to do that better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

getting a bit hard to distinguish from a random piece of stock video footage that it was trained on, yeah that's amazing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"Good enough" isn't the same as "Good." You can use horrible AI created images but they are going to look various degrees of crappy and off to anyone who is doing more than glancing at them. Like we're still not even at the point where hand-crafted CGI can be comfortably mistaken for reality in most situations, AI isn't going to do that better.

That depends what you mean by CGI. A foreground human character in a fully-populated word? A crowd of people in the background? A gunshot? A CGI skyline? A vehicle? A composited out building? The first one is very difficult to seem real, but the others are barely perceptible now and commonplace. That work took decades. LLM/AI went from those Balenciaga videos (which were pretty decently post-processed) to that balloon one in a year.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

This poo poo was nineteen months ago:

and now we're at "this full-motion video is over-fitting the training data"

Take a look at the old ProcGen thread and tell me this isn't a dramatic increase in capability at a startling pace.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

and now we're at "this full-motion video is over-fitting the training data"

Take a look at the old ProcGen thread and tell me this isn't a dramatic increase in capability at a startling pace.

Yeah you can tell by the hands this is fake

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nobody cares. First of all, that's an apples-to-oranges comparison, because one is an image probably generated with the computing power of one processor working for like 2 mins tops, and someone finding the funniest one to post, and the other probably had huge clusters of computers working for days and was cut together from the best possible footage they got. It's like you looked at the CGI in Toy Story and compared it to the CGI in Ratatoing and said "look at how much progress CGI has made in the negative twelve years since Ratatoing!"

But the bigger issue is that the problems with AI generated art have very little to do with fidelity. No amount of increased training and processing power is going to compensate for the fact that these kinds of "AIs" simply regurgitate their training data, but mixed up in complicated ways, without actual thought. That they're getting better at doing that isn't a good thing to be celebrated. It just makes them more artistically and ethically bankrupt. And that's a fundamental limitation that means they cannot EVER sufficiently replace more conventional methods of filmmaking, no matter how superficially realistic the video is.

And despite all that progress, that balloon-head video is poo poo. It could've been done better by one bored videographer with decent editing skills and the help of a cameraperson. And, I guess, access to a nursery with a cactus aisle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You’re right, AI is improving faster than your posting.

But they both still suck!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
At least one of the orcas is backwards.

"Is backwards" doesn't fully describe it but I can't think of a better way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sorry this thread is for lovely ai art. This is just art.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I am not advocating for the goodness of AI, just remarking on its capabilities. I deeply hate it and it's poisoning the well for creative jobs and creativity in general.

DontMockMySmock posted:

And despite all that progress, that balloon-head video is poo poo. It could've been done better by one bored videographer with decent editing skills and the help of a cameraperson. And, I guess, access to a nursery with a cactus aisle.

Don't be disingenuous. Even if you did it with 90% stock footage, that's still a few man-days of traditional vfx on top of a day or two of filming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don't be disingenuous

The Audacity of Dumb

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am not advocating for the goodness of AI, just remarking on its capabilities. I deeply hate it and it's poisoning the well for creative jobs and creativity in general.

Don't be disingenuous. Even if you did it with 90% stock footage, that's still a few man-days of traditional vfx on top of a day or two of filming.

this was absolutely not generated in one pass, you have zero information about how much time it took to render, how many runs were executed and discarded to pick a few seconds out of who knows how many discards per cut, how much server time and cost to render etc

and all to have very low control over the actual output so whatever you get is going to be an enormous compromise

this approach is literally never going to replace traditional planned and recorded video and VFX for anything important lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are you trying to claim that was done in a single go or even a few dozen gos?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

then why do you sound like those guys jumping into the press as soon as their poo poo released, doing home alone hands saying "oh no! oh dread! we've done an oopsie, we've created an AI so powerful it will destroy all society and rule over us as a god! give me some more money so I can program some ethics in before it's too late! and more money because I swear any day now it'll replace all mental work!" it doesn't do poo poo even related to creativity.

guess what, it's not poisoning the well for creative jobs if you actively, vehemently reject and spit on anything people try to expose to you.

you don't have to talk at all, ever, about the technical capabilities and potential of the machine powered by the suffering of children being born into the world right now. that's scientific fact. you just have to react like a human being to it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Let me be more specific then.

I don't think coherent prompt to videos longer than a few seconds are possible with current tools. But the current tools are also much more granular than "tighten up the graphics on scene 2" and don't require a full re-render each time like the basic consumer platforms.

Yes, this video and OAI's others are probably totally cheesed and heavily cherry-picked examples because OpenAI's primary business venture is juicing their share price. It was almost definitely done for less than the cost of shooting it for real with a small camera team and in a fraction of the time, which is why I think marketing agencies and smaller production companies will start using it for real videos soon, much like how we're starting to see AI static images in the wild.

When I say it's poisoning the well for creativity, I mean that this will be used to eliminate creative and technical jobs in the arts, and soon.

My whole argument is that some people itt are underestimating the scope of these developments and how quickly they're happening.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

then why do you sound like those guys jumping into the press as soon as their poo poo released, doing home alone hands saying "oh no! oh dread! we've done an oopsie, we've created an AI so powerful it will destroy all society and rule over us as a god! give me some more money so I can program some ethics in before it's too late! and more money because I swear any day now it'll replace all mental work!" it doesn't do poo poo even related to creativity.

Most people don't understand what ML models actually do. We understand that it's just regurgitating its inputs, but most people, including the ones who hire creative professionals, either believe it's thinking or don't care that it's not. It'll coopt creative work because the actual technical artists who make film will get less experience on set. They're not going to jump right from Tron to Toy Story, except in these pr pieces. There's lots of room for AI generated videos like this to replace things like B-roll or far background shots or static art, like we saw in True Detective. I have friends at agencies who say their leadership desperately want to pivot to more AI and get rid of pesky humans and it's starting to affect freelancers.

theflyingexecutive has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Mar 28, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My whole argument is that some people itt are underestimating the scope of these developments.

no we just have working eyes dipshit

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When I say it's poisoning the well for creativity, I mean that this will be used to eliminate creative and technical jobs in the arts, and soon.

who do you think the market is, for generated video like what Sora is producing that gives you 60 seconds of non-determinative output based on a single prompt sentence? who is going to pay to have these created and how do you think they're going to be used in a way that replaces a guy with a camera and the talent to use it? a very high percentage of people on the planet have a pretty high quality camera in their phone but there's only a couple of Ridley Scotts and Martin Scoceses and Stanley Kubricks, why do you think this bullshit is somehow going to replace talent lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

My whole argument is that some people itt are underestimating the scope of these developments and how quickly they're happening.

Yeah but is your argument actually based on anything besides looking at pictures?