Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phthisis posted:

Yeah but is your argument actually based on anything besides looking at pictures?

I wish someone would replace theflyingexecutive account with an ai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

who do you think the market is, for generated video like what Sora is producing that gives you 60 seconds of non-determinative output based on a single prompt sentence? who is going to pay to have these created and how do you think they're going to be used in a way that replaces a guy with a camera and the talent to use it? a very high percentage of people on the planet have a pretty high quality camera in their phone but there's only a couple of Ridley Scotts and Martin Scoceses and Stanley Kubricks, why do you think this bullshit is somehow going to replace talent lol

There are a lot of ads that have forgone studio cameras for iPhones and there's press content that used to be shot in studio being shot at home or in hotel rooms by phones (which started as a Covid thing but continues now) and aired on news and talk programs. I have no clue where you're getting the idea that I think this is anywhere near useful for 9-figure blockbusters. We're going to start to see it in ads first and then things like kids' cartoons or music videos and then as b-roll or establishing shots on TV shows.

If you want to bring up those famous directors, they all started with basic jobs in film and photography that are already being eliminated by high quality phone cameras. The more you squeeze people out of these industries, the fewer talented artists will emerge.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Phthisis posted:

Yeah but is your argument actually based on anything besides looking at pictures?

I worked in film for seven years and am in a big community of professional artists.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

theflyingexecutive posted:

I worked in film for seven years and am in a big community of professional artists.

shocked you didn't make it big time, absolutely shocked

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bottom Liner posted:

shocked you didn't make it big time, absolutely shocked

you are getting pissed off at someone in a seemingly creative job because they think the media is going to use these lovely generators to do stuff that they probably will be able to do.

they never said they were going to make awesome movies, just that the studios are going to use them to do stuff like establishing shots and garbage advertising.

you are reacting like they said this stuff is awesome and going to be making great movies tomorrow lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

this approach is literally never going to replace traditional planned and recorded video and VFX for anything important lol

Well yes, but that doesn't contradict the assertion that it's going to start making inroads in local advertising soon

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

There are a lot of ads that have forgone studio cameras for iPhones and there's press content that used to be shot in studio being shot at home or in hotel rooms by phones (which started as a Covid thing but continues now) and aired on news and talk programs. I have no clue where you're getting the idea that I think this is anywhere near useful for 9-figure blockbusters. We're going to start to see it in ads first and then things like kids' cartoons or music videos and then as b-roll or establishing shots on TV shows.

If you want to bring up those famous directors, they all started with basic jobs in film and photography that are already being eliminated by high quality phone cameras. The more you squeeze people out of these industries, the fewer talented artists will emerge.

yes that's what I said, there are high quality cameras in the hands of the majority of people on the planet and have been for many years now but only a few of them use them to make money, why do you think that is? why isn't everyone doing those basic jobs in film and photography despite having very good tools for it at their fingertips, why do those jobs still exist?
e: your position seems to be that high quality tools replace talent. lol.

the holy poopacy posted:

Well yes, but that doesn't contradict the assertion that it's going to start making inroads in local advertising soon

I have no doubt that some people will try to apply it this way but why aren't just any random people doing paid ad work if you think this kind of highly random non-directed AI gibberish is going to be something clients will be willing to pay for

Flesh Forge has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Mar 28, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

yes that's what I said, there are high quality cameras in the hands of the majority of people on the planet and have been for many years now but only a few of them use them to make money, why do you think that is? why isn't everyone doing those basic jobs in film and photography despite having very good tools for it at their fingertips, why do those jobs still exist?

I have no doubt that some people will try to apply it this way but why aren't just any random people doing paid ad work if you think this kind of highly random non-directed AI gibberish is going to be something clients will be willing to pay for

Those jobs don't really exist anymore. News outlets don't hire photographers and videographers, they are happy to just use social media posts for free. If you were doing one of those jobs, you'd have a more senior coworker or editor actively critiquing your work and making you better while you got paid to do it. You can be a completely self-taught savant making beautiful works of art, but there are far fewer outlets now to show them and have them critiqued. Those jobs went away and art programs (and whole art colleges) went away with them.

Sora isn't even out yet. I'm just pointing out how quickly the goalposts have shifted in just a couple years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those jobs don't really exist anymore. News outlets don't hire photographers and videographers,

You are so far out of your element and up your own rear end you're just making poo poo up wholesale.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

littleratbastard posted:

Show us will smith actively eating the spaghetti coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5or0VxHXODA

:hmmno:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDtvaWDhDRQ
:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This is art, I might be on Team AI now

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1773050647279030304

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Those jobs don't really exist anymore.

this just isn't true at all :confused:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

this just isn't true at all :confused:

Film sure, photography no.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I took part in a public event recently and got photographed by several professional photographers, got my photo in the newspaper and everything. They weren't just random guys, they had press passes and made me pull all sorts of dumb poses to get the shots they needed

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just don't know what to say other than ok dude :shrug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

News outlets don't hire photographers and videographers,

Which is it?

and just to continue pointing out how dumb you are

https://www.gettyimages.com/editorial-images

Well over 200 stories posted to this single wire service in the last 24 hours by working news photographers. But yeah, these people don't exist and no one hires photographers anymore, which is definitely relevant in your AI daydreams for a field that would definitely use AI and isn't 1000% the antithesis of it in every way imaginable.

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018

Finally, some real art!!! Chefs are cancelled now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Will people use this for fluff marketing shots that would otherwise have gone to paid creatives?

Yes.

Will it look like garbage?

Yes.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Those jobs don't really exist anymore. News outlets don't hire photographers and videographers, they are happy to just use social media posts for free. If you were doing one of those jobs, you'd have a more senior coworker or editor actively critiquing your work and making you better while you got paid to do it. You can be a completely self-taught savant making beautiful works of art, but there are far fewer outlets now to show them and have them critiqued. Those jobs went away and art programs (and whole art colleges) went away with them.

Sora isn't even out yet. I'm just pointing out how quickly the goalposts have shifted in just a couple years.
Man, you gotta start using less hyperbolic absolutes.

"There are fewer opportunities for news photographers and videographers. Social media posts are cheaper and easily available which drives down demand for professionals, making it a buyers market." - a sensible, reasonable opinion.

"Those jobs don't really exist anymore. News outlets don't hire photographers and videographers, they are happy to just use social media posts for free." - Trivially disprovable bullshit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Which is it?

and just to continue pointing out how dumb you are

https://www.gettyimages.com/editorial-images

Well over 200 stories posted to this single wire service in the last 24 hours by working news photographers. But yeah, these people don't exist and no one hires photographers anymore, which is definitely relevant in your AI daydreams for a field that would definitely use AI and isn't 1000% the antithesis of it in every way imaginable.

Getty royalty payments have dropped 98.5% in the last twenty years.. Even Getty is doing badly: they have 15x as many photos for licensing as they did in 2006, but their revenue has decreased by more than half. This is a healthy industry full of lots of opportunities.

How about this study, where entertainment executive said they're already using AI.

quote:

The jobs most susceptible to consolidation, replacement, or elimination will be concentrated among entry-level positions. These have rarely been glamorous or high
paying jobs, but they have offered entry points into entertainment industries and serve as the primary pipeline to mid- and senior-level positions. Fewer entry points today will mean fewer qualified workers to fill Level 3 vacancies over the next 10 to 20 years.
Moreover, the elimination of entry-level jobs in favor of GenAI technologies will not only limit early career workers’ exposure to key processes but will also affect their ability to build professional networks and develop domain knowledge.

If you think it can't happen with live-action video, you are wrong.

Even if AI is a total bust built on lies and there's an ideological revolution against it such that nobody ever uses it again, artists are going to lose their jobs for at least a couple years.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think it's correct to say that Getty Images is doing badly

I don't know where you're getting information that their revenue has dropped by half either :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Getty Images was America’s first president.

Grok will confirm this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1773022989933494610

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

He fried for your sins.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Getty royalty payments have dropped 98.5% in the last twenty years.. Even Getty is doing badly: they have 15x as many photos for licensing as they did in 2006, but their revenue has decreased by more than half. This is a healthy industry full of lots of opportunities.

gettys editorial team get paid day rates on top of royalties dumbass.

What the gently caress does that have to do with your claim that news photographers don’t exist anymore

In short, shut the gently caress up donny, you’re out of your element. Nothing you’ve posted ITT has been relevant to the topic, I’m sure there’s another thread where you can jerk off to AI all you want with other weirdo idiots

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Mar 28, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

He fried for your sins.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1772968846695014412

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Professional haters are at risk of losing their jobs to AI. Why pay someone to talk poo poo about Medieval Europe when you can have a computer do it for you?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
that's definitely someone's fetish

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Oh so that's where JK Rowling got that idea. At least wizards have the decency to vanish their poo!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A writer discovers that there's a bunch of published books of AI-generated poetry and goes to the effort of buying several of them and spending a long long timeearnestly reviewing the poems. (Spoiler: they're garbage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6xor2SLNU

This video is extremely dry and I don't expect anyone to watch the entire thing (I gave it a shot but ended up skipping ahead quite a lot, it goes for almost an hour) but I'm mostly posting it because I'm amused & horrified that AI poetry is an actual genre now with lots and lots of published collections

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Mar 28, 2024

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Megera posted:

Lmao no doubt

"Noble women in their frilly dresses would just poo poo themselves at banquets"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Megera posted:

yeah it's also fetish content, there's a lot of stuff like this that is technically passable but you know it's somebody's jerkoff material.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeBlank/status/1773705026260656499

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
does anyone have any idea how much money this bullshit saves vs using stock art?

I'm guessing the "audiobook" using this cover is also minimum effort AI-generated audio slop as the narrators don't exist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Howard's original Conan magazine stories are all public domain (in certain countries, it's a mess) and there's several "definitive collections" being sold on Amazon for around $1 on kindle and usually something like $50 print-on-demand. They can just chuck these up on Amazon and rake in some $$$$ for a while, if the trademark owners in the US make a fuss they can just take it down and maybe put it back up under a different publishing name, repeat as long as you can be bothered

The same company that made that 'definitive collection' with the lovely AI cover did the same for Howard's Solomon Kane stories:

"includes nearly a dozen new illustrations that evoke the rich history of Solomon Kane's adaptations, from oil paintings to comic illustrations" oh I'm sure :rolleyes:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Conan’s muscle looks like it’s splitting like a hot dog :stare:

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

IUG posted:

So that’s why they call it getting ripped!:dadjoke:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IUG posted:

Also he has several extra nipples, his hair is clipping through his leather headband, his right eyebrow is jutting way out, his left ear is blending into his hair, his fingers are all messed up....

The chain thingie crossing over his chest is also a huge tell, it doesn't connect to anything so it's just stuck on his chest or clips through his skin or something, plus the details are all randomized so it doesn't actually resemble any identifiable real world item. The decorative studs on his headband are also formless lumps which look like used chewing gum

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Those are his famous thews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
what does he call the full ponytail hanging from his nipple/pec?