Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This annoying Youtuber has a good collection of boomers on social media falling for obviously fake Ai images
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U1HMqtam90

Splicer posted:

Someone spotted Cartman

Shades of Evil Bert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another weird quasi-scam I've seen popping up more and more frequently is ads with obviously AI-generated images (almost always with copy that talks about how the artist is going out of business and selling off their excess stock for crazy low low prices) but they actually follow through and mail out actual physical reproductions to anyone dumb enough to place an order, and the end products are hilariously lovely

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm starting to see online ads for products which are clearly AI generated images.

The promo images:

The product photos:

:thunk:

I'm guessing they paid someone on Fiverr a measly sum to make those real world sculpts, hosed up hand anatomy and all

AI ad:

What people actually receive:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

I think you have it reversed, they have some mediocre physical objects and they are using an Ai tool to add backgrounds and extra detail for the ads

Forbes did an article about it and tracked down the Instagram artist who created the original AI lamp images which the scammers ripped off: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattno...sh=170c59806612
They've since deleted their Insta and the internet wayback machine didn't keep a copy

Edit: it's a lot more obvious with the skull hoodie figurines, the original AI generated images had hosed up hands and the lovely products replicate the hosed up AI anatomy

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Jan 6, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

so they didn't even make the images themselves? And then made a crappy physical lamp? that is a really bizarre level of lazy

Those fake lamps are being sold all over eBay and Amazon by thousands upon thousands of vendors, it's clearly some sort of bait-and-switch scam and I assume their aim is to drag out delivery times and complaint resolution as long as possible until they rack up a certain number of sales, at which point they simply dump the account and start over. I guess if they mail out an actual physical item which mostly resembles the images at the top of the ad means they can drag out the process even longer since they actually "fulfill" the sales so they get cycled into the refund process instead of having their account deleted right away

Here's one vendor from Amazon, scroll down and check out all the feedback they got. :v:
https://www.amazon.com/POPUBABI-Animal-Table-Lamp-Decoration/dp/B0CNBJH7KC/?th=1

Note that they include a video of the lovely real world product, I guess they're relying on their marks to not scroll that far

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Splicer posted:

The tweet is parody

NBC News did an article on that tweet, quoting a bunch of enraged people and seeking comments from 'experts' and even reaching out to the Keith Haring Foundation for comment (they didn't respond)

quote:

Some experts suggest that Donnel most likely didn’t do anything illegal in using AI on Haring’s work. However, the post could have crossed ethical boundaries, “because it’s very disrespectful to not only anyone who was around during the AIDS epidemic, but particularly those who died from it or who lost friends and loved ones during it,” said Tina Tallon, an assistant professor of AI and the arts at the University of Florida.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/keith-haring-painting-ai-backlash-ruined-meaning-rcna131974

That pretty much catapults the tweet directly into the shitposting hall of fame :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We don't salute the flag here in Australia, at least not unless you're in the armed forces and you're in uniform. I thought that might be another shitpost but I went and looked at the feed it came from and the dude seems to be a genuine 'patriot' fuckhead with zero irony

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Won’t load without a login, did they private it suddenly?

It still works for me:

The original Instagram post is also still up: https://www.instagram.com/p/C1qZlGWLB_9/?img_index=1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the holy poopacy posted:

The clocks and world map were nice touches. Also check out the chair/leg situation of the kid in the upper left (some of the other kids have too few or too many legs, but that one's the most egregious.)

I dunno, I just like the subtle ones sometimes. :shobon:

Yeah the world map with the extra continents is a good indicator but the messed up anatomy on the kids in the background is the most egregious element

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It appears fire ants child on fruit tree is a series

Googling shows that there's several Buddhist parables about mangoes/mango trees/red ants but I couldn't find any where a baby gets eaten alive because it refused to let go of its precious mango

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
most of them are wearing Starship Troopers helmets but a few of them missed the memo and wore baseball batter helmets instead

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

Fuckin the dumbest part about this ai generated image is the text.

Someone changed the speech bubbles, the original text was chock full of slurs: https://www.reddit.com/r/bonehurtingjuice/comments/1agbmj0/credits_to_uajw20_yt_for_this_one/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Biblically correct catfish

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chewbecca posted:

The academic publishing system is a big ol' scam, people submit all kinds of nonsense, most of it goes undetected

That's a big old rat dong though, kinda hard to miss

Yeah the publisher which accepted the article in questions publishes over 200 journals and has a long long list of cited issues with their peer review processes (apparently their acceptance rate is over 90%), were included in a list of possible predatory publishers,and have pulled a whole bunch of shady poo poo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontiers_Media#Controversies

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Roblo posted:

Hahahahahahaha Jesus Christ. The reveal actually made me burst out laughing.

That's "Shadiversity", right? The HEMA guy with poo poo views about...everything. Why am I not surprised.

Yeah he's a Musk stan who constantly complains about everything being woke, especially Disney and the MCU (which he calls the M-She-U)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
What if her right leg had detached from her pelvis and was about to fall out the bottom of her skirt?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

What if her right leg had detached from her pelvis and was about to fall out the bottom of her skirt?

Okay it turns out that I owe AI apps an apology because whatever app this moron used wasn't actually responsible for the terrible anatomy and pose and facial expression on that model since it turns out the dumbass drew all that terrible amateurish poo poo himself and used AI to add details:

:psyduck:

There's an entire knowyourmeme page about this bullshit which includes a whole lot of art that people drew as a response

E: lol

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Feb 23, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SkeletonHero posted:

An additional reminder that he brought his cool for-real artist brother on a stream and browbeat him into saying he was a good artist, too.

I looked it up and it's so loving bad and awkward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VybvjzaK0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cloacamazing! posted:

Umm, excuse me, as you can clearly see his prompt included the phrase "perfect anatomy", so clearly her head being the same size as her torso is perfect anatomy, assuming you were going for the anatomy of a toddler.

Ah dammit, his prompts also include the term "masterpiece" so we can't complain about the image being lovely because he's got us on a technicality. It's objectively a masterpiece, that's just how the system works. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

C.M. Kruger posted:

libertarian pedo rape fantasy book

This'll come as a surprise to no one but this poo poo was self published.

Also his fans reverse review-bombed the Amazon listing it's sitting at just under 5 stars, but GoodReads has a larger percentage of honest reviews and they all say that it's dull, poorly written, repetitive dross. A lot of those 1 star reviews start out "I wanted to like this because I'm a fan of his youtube videos but ..."

Oops, maybe he should have got ChatGPT to write it for him

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There are more pics of the willy wonka thing lol

Someone in the comments posted a photo of the lone Oompa Loompa they had at the show

:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

🎶 Oompa Loompa, doompa de doo
I've got a disinterested actor for you
🎶

Don't forget that all this happened in Glasgow so if there was any Oompa Loompa singing it would have been in a angry Scottish accent :v:

🎶 Oompa Loompa, doopity dass
I'll stick this candy roller up yer fooken rear end
🎶

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Feb 27, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's the blog site that generated those fake tufty Cerval images: https://conservationcubclub.com/

It seemed to start out as a regular blog about cats with actual photos but recently they've bee using AI images pretty much exclusively and for some reason they like to add ear tufts to most of the cats. They're usually otherwise passable but some AI weirdness still manages to creep in here and there:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Whole article and accompanying pictures are AI nonsense, the other ones from the same author are even worse.

LOL that car

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bottom Liner posted:

some good idiot boomers arguing about a lovely photo being ai and other idiots defending it with the worst explanations (AI is too perfect)

It took me 15 seconds to google 'steamers cedar key' and find those exact buildings on google street view to confirm it was real but I guess that was too much effort for those knuckleheads

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scratch Monkey posted:

When AI starts generating our pig balls photos the world is truly doomed

Goons have been hard at work at achieving that dream for some time now, with mixed success

Devils Affricate posted:

I gave the image to DALL-E and here's what it gave back

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Splicer posted:

Even if it was perfectly ethical you still have the issue that these approaches can't actually result in an AI that can draw human legs, just one that can extrapolate from images of human legs that it has seen before. It doesn't have any internal rules about musculature, how far joints can flex, how many knees people usually have etc that dictate what shapes legs will look like in different angles. They're a very big, very complex collection of weighted if/then/else statements but the if/then/elses are all about what pixels are usually near other pixels in appropriate contexts. A program that created 3d models of people and then rendered the art from the appropriate angles also wouldn't "know" what a leg was - that's not the kind of argument I'm making here - but it would reliably only include two of them. AI art is complicated tracing and artists have been mocking that for decades.

See also light sources.

See also 'bow & arrow'

This image has been doing the rounds but I don't know if it's a genuine AI gently caress up or a deliberately created funny image, it just seems a bit too on the nose

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the holy poopacy posted:

My wife was asking me the other night what I was laughing at so I showed her the Wonka ads from this thread and she showed me an Amazon listing for a book of crochet patterns that she had been looking at the other day. The cover had some cute, very normal looking crocheted bags laid out nicely, the description sounded pretty normal, but the only couple of reviews were all intensely negative. So she read the reviews and sure enough, the contents are 100% AI generated: none of the bags featured on the cover have patterns inside, the patterns that are included are at best bare bones but are often nonsensical, it doesn't have the charts or photos claimed, and most of the book is AI generated gobblydegook often about completely different topics.

Then she showed me the related products links. The same author has dozens of other crochet and knitting books listed on different themes, all new within a couple months. The one she saw first had a couple 1-star reviews to warn people off but most of them hadn't been reviewed yet and someone might be tempted to roll the dice on them. Eventually someone will buy it and review it, but in the time that it takes someone to try one and review it the author can effortlessly pump out a dozen others that start with clean slates. Sure, consumers will learn to get wiser and more cautious... but what does that do to someone who is actually trying to publish a book of real crochet patterns? AI isn't going to make art accessible for everyone, it's going to make art less accessible for everybody because everything will be buried beneath a deluge of terrible, pointless noise.

Oh yeah there's already tons of lovely AI-generated books on Amazon. Here's a blog post from a librarian who ordered a pile of kids books for their shelves and discovered one was AI nonsense:

Even worse, a few months ago an established author discovered that someone was selling lovely AI books under her name. Amazon eventually took them down although initially they'd refused to act on them since the author couldn't show that her name was trademarked so they'd originally decided that it wasn't against the rules.

It's just the latest in a long long pattern of people selling lovely fake books on Amazon via Kindle or print-on-demand because it's super super low cost and if you get caught you can just start up another account and start over. Years ago they used to print collections of Wikipedia articles on a related topic as guidebooks, a few years ago there an incredibly predatory racket where scammers were selling a course on generating "passive income" via the gig economy by commissioning gig writers to churn out a book on the topic of your choosing for ridiculously low sums which you could then flog on Amazon. Here's a video all about that. The advent of AI meant that they could continue that scam without even needing to exploit desperately poor writers.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Mar 1, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

I was thinking about it this morning, and I think it's gonna get a lot harder to trust buying things online even when you're trying to avoid the Aliexpress dropshippers crapping up Amazon.

E: and I guess my point is that I think everything else is gonna get crapped up the same way.

I had a post earlier ITT about online vendors using AI-generated images for product ads and the items which got shipped to gullible customers were hilariously shoddy

AI ad:

What people actually receive:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also vendors have been using ChatGPT to auto-generate ad copy on Amazon and it didn't go well
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1745873328894869933
I'm guessing they tried to use ChatGPT to get a product description translated into Spanish but the product just happens to be black (el producto es negro) and that's a no-no word

I didn't know cnet was still around

Sports Illustrated pulled a similar stunt a few months ago but went one step further and generated fake writers with fake photos & bios

Sports Illustrated was busted publishing articles attributed to fake authors with AI-generated bio photos: https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

Apparently they bought the 'content' from a third party which didn't even bother to cover their tracks at all, the site where they got the fake bio photos still had them featured:

For a while there every time someone found a fake author and called them out the magazine would just delete their name from the article and sub in a replacement fake person, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A whole lot of news media sites covered it as well

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Antivehicular posted:

Slowly developing a craftsman's wisdom, learning by practice that the AI doesn't know what "hooters" are

"Hey DallE, plz show me sexy Russian lady with huge hooters" :hchatter: :f5:

No not like that! :arghfist::mad:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cloacamazing! posted:

"By which I mean I typed in the prompts with my own hands, obviously."

I've actually seen AI defenders argue "Hey, we had to type out the prompts!!! You have to know the right words, it's not as simple as you think!!!"

Edit: oh poo poo I forgot about this bollocks

Our effort!! :qq:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Mar 12, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

Why is this one rotated slightly?

I'd forgotten about it until I spotted it again in a Youtube video and took a screenshot of it, they'd rotated it for some reason

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heath posted:

does that imply that any given Gustav Klimt image I find online has a chance of being AI generated?

These days yeah, unless you can recognise it as an original Klimt. The web is going to be flooded with fake Klimt paintings created by AI and there's just going to be more and more over time

Sometimes the lines get a little blurry and actual Klimt paintings that were destroyed by the Nazis are "resurrected" using AI tech
https://artsandculture.google.com/story/bringing-klimt-back-to-life-with-machine-learning/bgXxLsdwpiFriQ?hl=en

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heath posted:

What I'm saying is that it stands to reason that there are Klimt paintings out there that are objectively not AI. You cannot extrapolate backwards that because an AI image resembles another that it is therefore AI.

In this particular case with the Batman art I think their argument is pretty weak. Other companies have been caught out using AI art recently and it's usually a bit more obvious and I suspect that people have been keeping an eye out for it showing up in comicbooks but they may have jumped the gun

This story got picked up by CBR so maybe DC will actually weigh in on it: https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-batman-alleged-ai/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've always felt that African American erasure from records and depictions of the Wild West era (1865-1895) is a wider issue that many people realise. After the Civil War there was a huge influx of freed slaves from SE states into the frontier regions where they could claim land and start new jobs and roughly 1/3 of the cowboys working the Wild West were African American. That era was also pretty foundational to the US's sense of self & history, especially via Old West TV shows and movies which were a hugely formative factor in how the American people see themselves and their values, and those values and ideas of self have trickled down throughout popular media ever since. African Americans were a huge part of that era but most of the thousands upon thousands of old movies and TV shows which depicted that era completely erased them and that's only started to be reversed in recent times. It's yet another example of "The Good Old Days" which many conservatives yearn for which only really ever existed in classic media which badly skewed and whitewashed the reality of the actual times.

Having said that, I don't think that creating fake photorealistic images will actually help that at all and might actually muddy the waters and make it even harder to acknowledge the reality of the historical situation

https://twitter.com/FreakLimner/status/1767597233246277778

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.facebook.com/Lovegodgoodloveyou/photos

They have thousands upon thousands of images uploaded but they only have a handful of themes which they revisit over and over and over. It's mostly sculptures of Jesus made out of beach sand or carved logs and flight attendants praying or studying while Jesus looks down on them lovingly.

They recently introduced a new theme of "smug African kids sculpt Jesus out of ramen"

If you scroll all the way back to January it's suddenly all photos of cute dogs, I guess they weren't going viral so they changed tack

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

jesus this is like those horrifying finger family/"elsa being tortured by spider-man" videos from a few years back. how did they land on such weird poo poo and is it entirely bots making and responding to/consuming this stuff?

There's websites like accs-market.com and fameswap.com where you can buy facebook or youtube accounts which already have an established audience and I suspect that a lot of these botted-out facebook pages are just creating pages for onselling

What a loving weird industry

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Elsevier academic journals have been caught publishing scientific papers which were obviously co-written by ChatGPT yet still made it through the peer review process

Edit: it's highly likely that this is already much more widespread than just the few examples dug up in those threads, the people who submitted those papers were the lazy ones who didn't bother editing out the obvious ChatGPT phrases

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Actually I really wouldn't put it past Elsevier to fire all their human reviewers and just run all the submitted papers through ChatGPT

LOL if you thought that the brain rot caused by AI feedback loops was pretty bad so far, we ain't seen nothing yet