Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a 2023 game release by Nintendo, considered to be part of the mainline Mario Franchise.

That however, belies the nuance of its creation, form part of the "New Super Mario Bros." strand of Nintendo's most famous series.

Whilst Super Mario Bros. famously had its roots as 2D side scrolling platformer, with the release of Mario 64 in 1996, there were doubts that Nintendo's mascot would return to that format in a big way. And for a decade, despite some remakes and rereleases these doubts were proven true, with Nintendo seemingly focused on realising all their major franchises in three dimensions.

However, with the release of the DS, Nintendo felt the need for Mario's return to the platform and whilst the remake of Super Mario 64 on the 3DS received praise, many questioned the handheld's ability to control properly in 3D absent a joystick or dual stick control.

It was these fears that New Super Mario Bros. seemed designed to address. Hearkening back to the old 2D style of game, but employing 3D visuals, New Super Mario bros released in 2006 to much fanfare, with critics considering it, if not a return to form, at least a welcome return of a style that had been under-served.

Since then New Super Mario Bros has seen a number of release on the Wii, then Wii U, incorporating simultaneous multiplayer experiences. The games have even gone on to impact the 3D games they were designed to act as a break from, with Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS and Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U taking much of the aesthetic design of the New Super Mario Bros games and applying them to a 3D world.

With that being said, some criticism has landed around New Super Mario Bros and while nebulous, ultimately a single word seems to describe the issues "soul." Players will describe that, whilst technically good, that there's simply something missing from the level design that fails to conjure the adoration that a Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World might evoke. Perhaps everything's too clean, perhaps there's not enough creativity. It might be any and all of these things.

And this is the world that Super Mario Bros. Wonder finds itself in, carrying the legacy of a franchise that's competent but not adored.

With new online features allowing players to leave messages for others and help while they play. With levels that promise, in line with the title, to be completely off the rails. Will Wonder find the je ne sais quoi that came to define the old 2D Mario titles? Or will it simply be remebered as its predecessors, competent but not inspiring?

Yorkshire Tea and I are excited to find out.

About the LP

This is a blind LP being run by Myself and my best friend and Co-commentator, Yorkshire Tea, playing the game in Co-op. Episodes will release (where possible) at 23:00 BT / 6pm ET on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, with bonus early episodes for our lovely supporters on Patreon.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs, see episodes early and *gasp* get your name in the credits!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is some of the good stuff here

Good Mario Gameplay and some really just out there stuff with those flower moments... which are... on a timer?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Talk about a killer concert

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've heard good things about this game, so I'm interested to see how it plays out. Thanks for doing this LP!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It says a lot about this game that it is taking so many videos to get through the first world - there's an actual experience to drink in.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game is so dope.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heck yes, Natty and Tea doing SMW (no not that one, the other one)!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does it sounds like Nat is channeling Alan Patridge when he finds a secret? Aha!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

First the destruction of an innocent piranha a capella group, now the abuse of herbivores minding their own business.

Maybe Bowser is right to overthrow a system that allows mushroom kingdom nobles to act so horridly

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This game is fun and has a lot of great moments, I definitely think it's worth playing and it'll be interesting to see what you both think of it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "wonder" gimmicks overall, a lot of them are cool and surprising and do put interesting twists on the gameplay, but when you know every level is going to have one (and when some of the concepts start repeating even if the execution is different), it starts to feel forced rather than genuinely whimsical. I don't know how one would go about fixing this, maybe it's just the cost of designing around this concept, but I personally would've liked there to be some normal levels, or maybe fakeout levels where it looks like there might be a wonder flower but it turns out there isn't, to contrast with the weirder ones and make them pop out more.

Regardless, game good and it's a fun take on 2D Mario.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So far I'm really enjoying the wonder parts and seeing how they'll take whatever the level gimmick is to the most extreme version possible. But obviously we're going to see how that evolves as well.

Slaan posted:

First the destruction of an innocent piranha a capella group, now the abuse of herbivores minding their own business.

Maybe Bowser is right to overthrow a system that allows mushroom kingdom nobles to act so horridly

Look if they weren't in my way I wouldn't try to murder them!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Explopyro posted:

This game is fun and has a lot of great moments, I definitely think it's worth playing and it'll be interesting to see what you both think of it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "wonder" gimmicks overall, a lot of them are cool and surprising and do put interesting twists on the gameplay, but when you know every level is going to have one (and when some of the concepts start repeating even if the execution is different), it starts to feel forced rather than genuinely whimsical. I don't know how one would go about fixing this, maybe it's just the cost of designing around this concept, but I personally would've liked there to be some normal levels, or maybe fakeout levels where it looks like there might be a wonder flower but it turns out there isn't, to contrast with the weirder ones and make them pop out more.

Regardless, game good and it's a fun take on 2D Mario.

I think what we have seen so far is neat and pretty fun, the developers clearly had fun making these levels.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, the wonder flowers are definitely a very thinly veiled metaphor for hallucinogenic drugs, right? It's not just me? Touch wonder, get dizzy?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they finally decided to explore the consequences of Mario gobbling down all those toadstools.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bremen posted:

So, the wonder flowers are definitely a very thinly veiled metaphor for hallucinogenic drugs, right? It's not just me? Touch wonder, get dizzy?

Don't be silly, since when has any element of Mario been readable as a metaphor for drugs

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

my biggest gripe about this game: one of the dialogue box beeps is the exact same one my laptop has for "hey the power cable is hosed up again" so as i'm watching this LP i keep thinking i need to fix it :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

biosterous posted:

my biggest gripe about this game: one of the dialogue box beeps is the exact same one my laptop has for "hey the power cable is hosed up again" so as i'm watching this LP i keep thinking i need to fix it :v:

This sounds as aggravating as getting a discord notification during recording and then having to track it back to see if I can get rid of it so people don't get owned during the video.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The audio for episode 4 seems ever so slightly out of sync.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't even make it through World 1 before repeating the wonder effects. Glad to see you two finally hitting some harder-rated levels, though!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

The audio for episode 4 seems ever so slightly out of sync.

Last episode in the recording so if it's slightly off there it should fix itself. I'll have a look at how 5-7 encode though and double check for any issues.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think the levels have all been neat so far,

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't think I like the elephant form. It feels boring.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't think I like the elephant form. It feels boring.

Ah, but when you're an elephant the music changes. That makes the whole thing, for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

In the interest of reducing anxiety and frustration, here is a minor spoiler about buying standees: somewhere in the game, there is a shop that is incapable of giving duplicates. It's more expensive and still gives them in a random order but at least you can guarantee getting them all eventually.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

God what even are the odds of getting a duplicate when you've only got like three

This game does look fun though, some good classic Mario stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sorry about the delay everyone. I'm trying to get used to a bunch of random new (good) things in my life and probably need to set up LP reminders now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Use different badges Nat

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

They don't have most of the fun ones yet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Phew, y'all avoided the g-g-ghosts at the start of the new world. Too spooky for not Halloween season

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Is this video from the future? Are you time-travelers? ...is there something we should know about December 11th?

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 7, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Is this video from the future? Are you time-travelers? ...is there something we should know about December 11th?

The 12th of November was a while ago mate

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, got caught by Euro dating norms.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Remember, Remember the 12th of November
Love was changin' the minds of pretenders
While chasin' the clouds away

Ayyyyyeyyyeeaaaaaa suddenly November... wait what?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I did not clock that this game actively dates the LP.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Some very Celeste levels in this video.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, you're going there? With Spring Feet on?

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nooooo, that cliffhanger at the end! You can't just stop before exploring the unknown!