Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Someone said things get boring, I haven't seen it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I really liked the wonder seed section changing the game into a top-down platformer. That's a mechanic that I can see having some good meat on it and I hope it comes back at least once or twice.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I spent an hour trying to get that stupid timed platform challenge completed and I could never get it done.

You two do it in three tries.

I'm just going to be over here screaming into a void for a bit.

Also, I get to see new content!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Quackles posted:

Oh, you're going there? With Spring Feet on?

:allears:

You get the badge after the level, but Spring Feet is actually recommenced for Jump Jump Jump and whoever set that officially deserves the job title of Rat Bastard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

For Climb for the Beat, to get the wonder seed, you have to grab it quickly once you're at the top.

The first time I beat the level, I was just sitting around and it timed out before I grabbed it. So I had to do it again :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I still have yet to successfully climb to the beat. It's bottlenecking the rest of my progression.

...I haven't been trying since the game came out, I 99%ed it and said "I'll come back later". Later never came.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The way the crown swapped around and kept loving up the camera practically added another star or two of difficulty.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
In Super Mario World, Special World was a set of very hard hidden levels that weren't necessary to beat the game, and basically formed a post-game challenge that was by far the hardest content in vanilla SMW before modders got a hold of it. Beating it changed the rest of the game a bit to let you show off to your friends.

I'm guessing from this video that Wonder is doing something similar.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that was pointed out to me, is that this is the first 2D Mario game, where if you die in a level (as long as you don't game over completely) you keep any important collectibles like the big coins. That makes it a valid strategy in the Special levels to just sacrifice a life to grab an out-of-the-way purple coin.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well that was... certainly one way to get through that level. ;)

Of course, now you still have to go back and do it properly if you want the first seed... good luck.

This level is a huge difficulty spike out of nowhere and (IMO) the second-hardest and/or second-most-annoying level in the game. For all that, it's a really tightly-designed level and actually getting through it properly feels awesome, but oh god it took me hours and my hands were aching by the end of it. I do like the Special World levels in this game overall, but I found this one more painful than enjoyable.

Also, I don't know if you noticed specifically, but (as I hinted behind spoiler bars earlier) the standee shop in Special World is different, and purchasing any of the character-specific options here guarantees you don't get duplicates. If you want to complete the standees this is much less frustrating than the random route. (Also worth noting, you can't carry more than 999 purple coins at once, I tried to get in a habit of going out of my way to spend them whenever I started to get too many, otherwise they start going to waste.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The game mechanics are really really neat, thats all I can say

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Some of the ones this episode look a bit unfriendly to multiplayer, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Explopyro posted:

Well that was... certainly one way to get through that level. ;)

Of course, now you still have to go back and do it properly if you want the first seed... good luck.

This level is a huge difficulty spike out of nowhere and (IMO) the second-hardest and/or second-most-annoying level in the game. For all that, it's a really tightly-designed level and actually getting through it properly feels awesome, but oh god it took me hours and my hands were aching by the end of it. I do like the Special World levels in this game overall, but I found this one more painful than enjoyable.

Also, I don't know if you noticed specifically, but (as I hinted behind spoiler bars earlier) the standee shop in Special World is different, and purchasing any of the character-specific options here guarantees you don't get duplicates. If you want to complete the standees this is much less frustrating than the random route. (Also worth noting, you can't carry more than 999 purple coins at once, I tried to get in a habit of going out of my way to spend them whenever I started to get too many, otherwise they start going to waste.)

Specifically running the math. The guaranteed one for 30 is an equal or better deal when you are more likely than not to draw two or more old ones randomly for 10 before getting a new one or (numStandees/144)^2 >= 1/2. Which simplifies to numStandees >= 144/squareroot(2) or 102 standees being the mark where you're better off with the 30 coin guaranteed option.

E: The actual number is probably a bit lower because I forgot the standees have different rarity probabilities for gold/silver/normal, so your odds of hitting one you already have are higher.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 14, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FoolyCharged posted:

Specifically running the math. The guaranteed one for 30 is an equal or better deal when you are more likely than not to draw two or more old ones randomly for 10 before getting a new one or (numStandees/144)^2 >= 1/2. Which simplifies to numStandees >= 144/squareroot(2) or 102 standees being the mark where you're better off with the 30 coin guaranteed option.

E: The actual number is probably a bit lower because I forgot the standees have different rarity probabilities for gold/silver/normal, so your odds of hitting one you already have are higher.

I think we're currently going to maintain our policy of just randomly picking ones when we get to a store for now.

We tried an online recording session earlier this week, but apparently you can't play in levels that one player hasn't unlocked yet so Tea needs to beat the entire game up to where we are!

WHY NINTENDO WHY.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I think we're currently going to maintain our policy of just randomly picking ones when we get to a store for now.

We tried an online recording session earlier this week, but apparently you can't play in levels that one player hasn't unlocked yet so Tea needs to beat the entire game up to where we are!

WHY NINTENDO WHY.

Rip Tea

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Natural 20 posted:

WHY NINTENDO WHY.

Because playing with people online should be as hard as possible.

It's funny to me that the company that introduced and popularized 4 controllers to let you play with a big group of friends is so stubbornly opposed to letting people play together online.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Because playing with people online should be as hard as possible.

It's funny to me that the company that introduced and popularized 4 controllers to let you play with a big group of friends is so stubbornly opposed to letting people play together online.

There is a throughline there - Nintendo envisioning a handful of friends sitting down together to play a game, and them doing it in separate houses does not match that vision

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
While there probably won't ever be an official Waluigi game if Nintendo has any good sense, the fangame Psycho Waluigi is shockingly high-quality.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We're interrupting your regularly scheduled Wonder today because I'm doing a charity stream. (In about 10 minutes from this post)

https://youtube.com/live/EE8rzWruuig

I'm giving £10 to the NSPCC for every Severa (red haired fire emblem girl) I draw in the ludicrous Fire Emblem gacha. If you want to come and laugh at my luck, it would be appreciated!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

By the way, if you reach a point when playing this that you need to inject a little more whimsy there's a hardware gimmick in this game that I love. Doesn't affect gameplay.

If using rumble, when running over a note block hold the controller up to your ear.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You didn't note it but the flagpole that you'd missed the first time round still had a bowser flag on it instead of... I assume the flower kingdom flag? Either way that's a marker to look out for that you didn't get the seed there.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Going by a level card in the advance video you recorded it today? I don't think anybody was anxious enough that you needed to push it that fast.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well, it's a winter Wonderland at the moment so it only makes sense

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think the wonder seed you are missing in world one will lead you towards the secret level part of world one

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

Going by a level card in the advance video you recorded it today? I don't think anybody was anxious enough that you needed to push it that fast.

We have a schedule and if people are genuinely giving us money for our videos I'll do my best to keep to it no matter what!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

These are really cute and well put together. I think the world one secret entrance is back in that one level with the bulls where there was like a wall of blocks you couldn't go through because you had lost power ups.

edit: I went back to the third video, bulrush express, I think you need either the drill hat or being an elephant and not getting hit so you have it at the end, I bet thats where the hidden level is.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 28, 2023

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

The problem with stormtrooper coffee is that it never really hits the spot. :v:

Initially, I thought I'd find the voiced flowers annoying, but they really come across as quite charming!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm, I could swear I recognize that tune at 11:40 from something else but I have no idea what it could be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hm, I could swear I recognize that tune at 11:40 from something else but I have no idea what it could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdELJ9UZi0
Manbo's Mambo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm massively looking forward to their reactions to a specific upcoming level and the anticipation is killing me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That video won't play for me for some reason but yeah that's it. Neat!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Back off our New Years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Remember, in theory, every level can be completed solo.

Now, with the amount of stepping-on-toes that you two are having, imagine having a full party of 4! ;)