Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

berryjon posted:

Remember, in theory, every level can be completed solo.

Now, with the amount of stepping-on-toes that you two are having, imagine having a full party of 4! ;)

I miss player collision, wish it was an option to turn on. Fond memories of NSMB Wii trying to manage 4 people through a platforming level like the bone snake, which completely changed the nature of the level from a platforming challenge to Chaos Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

You can still screw over the other players by controlling the camera. You almost can’t not do that, in fact. Though I’ll grant that collision is a more fun sort of antagonism.

(I really didn’t enjoy the multiplayer in Wonder. The camera is deeply horrible and I don’t understand how they regressed so badly from NSMB!)

vv: it's a tough problem, yes, but I really thought that NSMB did it well. I played that whole game without ever thinking "gently caress I can't tell what is happening anymore" and Wonder did that to me pretty frequently. The crown changing hands is a jarring mess every time it happens, and anyone who doesn't agree with that should rewatch Nat20 and Tea try to do Special World 2. The rest of the camera handling is mediocre and they made several levels that it can't handle at all, like the ones make you catapult off at high speed: the hoppycat wonder that immediately kills everyone else if you don't jump at the same time as the crown-holder, or the speed rails at the end of World 2.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 4, 2024

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Akratic Method posted:

(I really didn’t enjoy the multiplayer in Wonder. The camera is deeply horrible and I don’t understand how they regressed so badly from NSMB!)
The Camera is a balance between allowing players to move about with the 'center' being on the Crown'd player a little more freely and in contrast, dealing with level design with regards to how much the player can see and foresee. It's a question that there's no real easy answer to.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

berryjon posted:

Remember, in theory, every level can be completed solo.

And I've done it. Though I did have to turn on 2P mode for the very last section of the very last level. You'll know why when we get there. (Nat don't look)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I love the expression the goomba makes at 2:55 when the spike ball reverses and starts rolling towards it. That's a nice little touch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen posted:

I love the expression the goomba makes at 2:55 when the spike ball reverses and starts rolling towards it. That's a nice little touch.

I missed that, needs to be a title card some time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, this game really does borrow a lot of Celeste, doesn't it?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Oh no a g g g ghost!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Really a wonderful level, and I like how the online multiplayer stuff can really help you with clearing something you are stuck on by just bouncing to them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think some "purists" would scoff that Nat and Tea basically just brute forced the level with tons of respawns together with the other players. But personally, that looked fun as hell, and the ending was super cute. This is one of the coolest multiplayer features around. I really like it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I mean, I 'brute forced' the level with Yoshi, so I don't hold it against them at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I think some "purists" would scoff that Nat and Tea basically just brute forced the level with tons of respawns together with the other players. But personally, that looked fun as hell, and the ending was super cute. This is one of the coolest multiplayer features around. I really like it.

Purists can play the game themselves. I'm usually one of them and I'm only going to gripe if someone's playing a game wrong (included game modes don't count) AND trashing it as a result. "This spoon is a terrible hammer" sort of things.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think if I was doing that level completely alone no distractions, I wouldn't beat it trivially but I'd get through in about the same time.

So I really don't mind forcing our way through this way because it made for a really great moment at the end.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I liked the water boss fight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Boosting Spin Jump is absolutely the best badge in the game, and there is a lot of cheese you can do with it, especially regarding the flagpole challenges.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those levels where you work with other players are a delight to watch, this was really cute.

I know the "double jump"/"gliding" badges are the best, but it would be cool to see you and Tea use some other badges some levels.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Torrannor posted:

Those levels where you work with other players are a delight to watch, this was really cute.

I know the "double jump"/"gliding" badges are the best, but it would be cool to see you and Tea use some other badges some levels.

Like Jet Run or Spring Feet :getin:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A g g g ghost!!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Exceptional Singing Talent

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Also, regarding mining games... I'd say you are thinking of MineCraft. :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I like the slime mechanics in this world

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One of the first Mario games I know of that had this "swimming through goo" mechanic was Super Mario Land 2 for the (monochrome) gameboy.

Making this an actually ancient reference.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

I like the slime mechanics in this world

I'm a fan as well. I think there could have been more variety to it but it's a small gripe.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, right, before I forget. I seem to remember Tea being confused by the decimal flower coins in a recent video.

That's a real thing. It only happens while a wonder flower is active, the flower coin display changes to have a decimal point and there are smaller pickups that are worth 0.1 flower coins. When the wonder segment ends, it just rounds down and you lose whatever fractional component you had remaining.

I don't really know why they bothered including this mechanic, honestly, it never really changes anything. But I guess it allows them to make the screen a bit more chaotic on occasion by spamming the small pickups?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Apologies on the delays everyone, things are a little chaotic as I continue to do this from my holiday in Italy.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 24, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Explopyro posted:

I don't really know why they bothered including this mechanic, honestly, it never really changes anything. But I guess it allows them to make the screen a bit more chaotic on occasion by spamming the small pickups?

That's exactly it. Lets them make the Wonder segments feel more rewarding without blowing out the economy for flower coins .

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Natural 20 posted:

Apologies on the delays everyone, things are a little chaotic as I continue to do this from my holiday in Italy.

Ooh! Hope you're having a lovely time and avoiding all these storms! And thank you for keeping the video train rolling while on break!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Thats some good stuff, now go back to world one and get to the secret level there.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AtomikKrab posted:

Thats some good stuff, now go back to world one and get to the secret level there.

Yeah, I'm excited for your takes on a lot of the rest of world 1.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Allowing you to miss the ninji dance party would have been a tragedy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

They killed ninji at the dance party. They were party killers :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Us princesses got to stick together?

You'll never kill, marry, incest, intrigue or invade your way into expanding your demesne into the Mushroom Kingdom with that attitude Daisy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan posted:

Us princesses got to stick together?

You'll never kill, marry, incest, intrigue or invade your way into expanding your demesne into the Mushroom Kingdom with that attitude Daisy!

She just wants to be friends!