Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This game is fun and has a lot of great moments, I definitely think it's worth playing and it'll be interesting to see what you both think of it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "wonder" gimmicks overall, a lot of them are cool and surprising and do put interesting twists on the gameplay, but when you know every level is going to have one (and when some of the concepts start repeating even if the execution is different), it starts to feel forced rather than genuinely whimsical. I don't know how one would go about fixing this, maybe it's just the cost of designing around this concept, but I personally would've liked there to be some normal levels, or maybe fakeout levels where it looks like there might be a wonder flower but it turns out there isn't, to contrast with the weirder ones and make them pop out more.

Regardless, game good and it's a fun take on 2D Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

In the interest of reducing anxiety and frustration, here is a minor spoiler about buying standees: somewhere in the game, there is a shop that is incapable of giving duplicates. It's more expensive and still gives them in a random order but at least you can guarantee getting them all eventually.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well that was... certainly one way to get through that level. ;)

Of course, now you still have to go back and do it properly if you want the first seed... good luck.

This level is a huge difficulty spike out of nowhere and (IMO) the second-hardest and/or second-most-annoying level in the game. For all that, it's a really tightly-designed level and actually getting through it properly feels awesome, but oh god it took me hours and my hands were aching by the end of it. I do like the Special World levels in this game overall, but I found this one more painful than enjoyable.

Also, I don't know if you noticed specifically, but (as I hinted behind spoiler bars earlier) the standee shop in Special World is different, and purchasing any of the character-specific options here guarantees you don't get duplicates. If you want to complete the standees this is much less frustrating than the random route. (Also worth noting, you can't carry more than 999 purple coins at once, I tried to get in a habit of going out of my way to spend them whenever I started to get too many, otherwise they start going to waste.)

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, right, before I forget. I seem to remember Tea being confused by the decimal flower coins in a recent video.

That's a real thing. It only happens while a wonder flower is active, the flower coin display changes to have a decimal point and there are smaller pickups that are worth 0.1 flower coins. When the wonder segment ends, it just rounds down and you lose whatever fractional component you had remaining.

I don't really know why they bothered including this mechanic, honestly, it never really changes anything. But I guess it allows them to make the screen a bit more chaotic on occasion by spamming the small pickups?