Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tuxedo Gin posted:

and chose to ignore truth because it doesn't fit your fear-mongering narrative? The entire premise of your "problem", that the youth of today are more violent and more criminal than before, has been proven to be false, yet you continue the narrative as if it were a reality.

Youth crime arrest numbers being lower doesn't necessarily mean that the remaining crimes committed aren't worse in nature, or at least just as bad. If the current juvenile incarceration system is designed around a broader scope of child crime then it probably needs to be rethought if the majority forms of crime are on the more extreme part of the spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Zoeb posted:

These are good points. Someone might counter that irrespective of impacts of deterrence there is a message to be sent when people are given sentences about what society values and what it condemns and that if murderers and mass shooters are let out it means their crimes are more tolerated than they should be. Immanuel Kant defended retribution. Other theories of punishment than restorative justice or rehabilitation exist. Those folks might say that rehabilitation makes the punishment good for the criminal, which they don't deserve and that deterrence is using people as a means.

This seems somewhat incoherent and adrift from the original question of juvenile punishment. To the latter, I think society at large generally assumes that a young person (I don't know if 18 is a useful line but let's say it is) is much more able to be rehabilitated than an adult due to their lack of development; therefore, having a justice system that treats them differently makes sense, although the current framework of "seven years at 14" seems both too much and too little, and doesn't send any sort of meaningful message on societal values.

I guess I'd be ok with executing Kid Damian from The Omen. I think if you have the actual antichrist and he's summoning devil dogs and decapitating/impaling people with "accidents" then ok give him the chair, or probably some other method that he can't turn around on everyone because they're all standing in a pool of water.