Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Teenagers are dumb but there's "got drunk and set fire to a trash container" dumb and "murdered owner during carjacking" dumb. I'm not saying we should be treating children as adults but even a 12 year old should understand that's bad.

I guess this is going to the usual question of nature of crime. I'm not a criminologist and generally pretty sheltered from it so take this as a complete layman take.

My understanding is that crime is almost entirely nurture and circumstances based. Which is good, I suppose, but if you take a juvenile, try to rehabilitate them, and then return them to the enviornment that caused them to behave the way they did, there's probably a very high chance they'll get back to it eventually.

Do they have a hosed-up, abusive family? Stupid criminal friends? Dire poverty? Etc. etc. With an adult I supposed you could tell them hey we got you this stable job and an apartment in a new, safe location, away from your messed-up influences. Good luck, stay out of trouble. With a child though, you'd have to return them to wherever they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you don't the state literally has the ability to take kids into custody if they think their parents aren't doing a good job.
Have to say I forgot about that. Never dealt with that here or certainly in the US, but isn't the threshold generally pretty high though? Would "uncle/neighbor/mom's boyfriend is a bad influence" be sufficient? Or "neighborhood has bad vibes"?

What I have in mind is that it might not be something as clear-cut as physically abusive parents, but like a lovely area with no jobs and gently caress-all to do for entertainment for teenagers, unsupportinve parenting, neighborhood kid that tries to involve them in their crazy poo poo, etc.

yeah that's another challenge, the idea is obviously not to put them in a similar or worse circumstances.
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 3, 2023