Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah I've wrestled with the "car theft is one of the worst forms of property crime in practical effect and should not be painted with the 'property crime isn't real crime' brush" thing, and arrived at the same conclusion as Pastry et al: replace the car and any lost wages, handle the criminal end in some humane and rehabilitative fashion, especially if it was stupid joyriding rather than theft-theft

I also agree that the opening question is the wrong question. The rights of criminals should have little to nothing to do with the rights of victims. Make the victims whole, treat the criminals however will work out best for society, which usually means rehabilitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zoeb posted:

I actually like the idea of the federal government being allowed to either create make work jobs for economically vulnerable people or just straight up handing people money to correct injustices. Better that then having an hegemonic evil empire.

Anyways, like I said, I posted this thread because I am emotionally conflicted. I don't necessarily intend to "win" this argument. I just want to hear people rip apart my worst impulses. I like the idea of restoration and rehabilitation in theory but I see news stories that piss me off and get under my skin.

I see them come up on my browser home screen all the time.

Yeah, uh, I think this here is a warning sign. Of course clickbait is going to select for stories that are sensationalist and worse.

especially if you click them