Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dubar posted:

Some quick googling tells me the Kia theft problem is because the cars lack basic anti- theft measures and can be started with a screwdriver, a flaw which has apparently gone viral on tiktok.

This happened to our Soul and it sucked. The cops just took the kids home and even had to pay to get it unimpounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dubar posted:

Yes I agree that people should be made whole when possible, but I don't think the length of a sentence should have anything to do with the victims. I don't think anyone has a right to revenge

How do you feel about the 17 year olds who stole our car and got taken home to their parents, out of curiousity?

I’m sure the parents will teach them to not get drunk, bust up cars for fun, and then drive drunk away this time?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hobologist posted:

Obviously they should be locked in a Kia factory until they've built you a new car.

My lizard brain genuinely agrees with this joke. My wife and I really treasure that drat car, we worked for and got it ourselves. There's poo poo was in there the thieves took or threw away that we can't get back, like some old CDs and some goofy polaroids of our kids and just assorted poo poo that meant something. They took our kids' loving car seats! It's hard to be objective.

But for real, I am curious what people think we should do in situations like that because I have no good ideas.

Dumbass teenagers don't deserve lifelong consequences for a bad decision. That's what the teens do. I just barely turned 26, I remember being/am a dumbass.

But otoh a warning and turning them back to their parents no conseaunces is just going to encourage them to keep doing it. My mom raised me to know that stealing a car as a gag is not cool. Clearly theirs didn't. So wtf is the way to properly deal with this? I suppose that's the thesis of the thread and it has me struggling for answers.