Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think the the supposed rights of victims ought to be considered too heavily, to be honest. Justice must be done dispassionately, and I acknowledge that even if it really pisses me off in certain cases.

Victims have the right to be made whole in cases where it's possible, and the Kia thieves or whatever can do that. Get a job and 50% of your paycheque goes to restitution. That'll teach a better lesson than prison will. What good will prison do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think simplifying the issue into an understanding of right and wrong is a bit facile. Even young children have a conception of right and wrong. What they lack is an understanding of long-term consequences, and the executive function to categorically avoid "wrong" actions which provide a boon in the present. This is also a reasonable argument for charging juveniles as adults in the cases of very serious crimes like murder, in a sense; it might be unreasonable to expect a teenager to be able to fully process the consequences of stealing something, even a car, but you can argue that they probably do understand the concept of death and that it's permanent and fundamentally wrong to kill someone.