Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Swerve vs Lethal 4 7.84%
Hook/OC/Shibata vs ExJAS 1 1.96%
Rush vs Jay 31 60.78%
Anna vs Ruby vs Skye 2 3.92%
Mark vs Mox 13 25.49%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Loved that episode. The only part that didn’t click for me was MJF’s extended riff-fest and that was saved by Joe dunking on him and getting him to shut up. But outside of him telling Joe to blow him as he wasn’t gonna honor his deal, this felt like MJF took a step backwards on the mic.

I’m also back on “Cole is a heel who’s going to screw over MJF” because of how he acted last night. No real friend is going to tell you to fight Samoa Joe, that’s insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Open Marriage Night posted:

I thought Adam Cole was actually going to wrestle Jay White. And when he won he, he’d refuse to give MJF the belt.

That was my first thought, too. I had no idea how Cole would win short of a countout or something (and AEW doesn't really do those, especially as a pape main) but I thought he'd leave as interim champ.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Collision and Rampage loving ruled in person, and the ROH they taped after was real fun, too. Then I get home and see Punk proved he’s the biggest hypocrite in wrestling. drat good day to be Elite.

Also I dunno if this was on TV but Malakai turned the lights out on FTR after their match and said they were alone and had no friends and nobody to stand up for them, then specifically said that CM Punk couldn’t help them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, that made television!

Wild, I figured that was a bridge too far.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

When they did the announcer introductions this weekend Tony got a massive pop, then they went to Kevin Kelly and it was kind of a "...yeah..." reaction.

Nigel got a full entrance video and walked out to a massive ovation, it was great. He also looks like he's in better shape than ever, I was pretty blown away since I don't think I'd seen him in person since like 2009 or so.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

blunt posted:

* No more waiting until >24hrs before shows to announce matches

This is one thing that bugs me but at the Rampage/Collision taping this week Tony Khan came out and said they had a ton of injuries and illnesses lately, with this week being especially bad. So I 100% think they're trying to avoid booking someone, then having to pull the match last second because they pop positive for covid or something.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

AEW survived a pandemic as a much smaller and less prestigious company, if anybody seriously thinks they're dying just because somebody looked at TV sideways then I highly suggest you take some time off of online wrestling discussion and just enjoy the show on its own merits. I cannot stress enough how much more fun a show can be when you're not also microanalyzing how many people are attending the show, what the live viewership numbers are, and whether a thing is sports, entertainment, or sports entertainment.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is cope, real fans obsessively analyze everything and if you don't or stop you're less of a person, possibly less of a human

My favorite part of my live show Saturday was counting every person in attendance at the show. I meticulously went aisle by aisle and handed out a questionnaire asking them if they thought MJF was cringe or based.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

yea ok posted:

Weird to insinuate that the only way to feel negative about AEW is because you read attendance numbers.

“Death spiral” implies it’s going out of business. That’s what I’m addressing, people who literally think AEW is going out of business.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Johnny TV has a bit of a new direction on ROH this upcoming week, feels like QTV dies with that.

And QT was always solidly “okay” for me. He bugged me a bit when he talked about not booking more women’s matches because of the “ratio of men to women”, so I do wonder if his departure might also lead to some more women’s matches getting booked:

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/qt-marshall-addresses-criticisms-aew-not-having-enough-women-s-matches-look-ratio?amp

That Bunkhouse match or whatever that he had with Dustin vs Butcher and Blade was loving awesome, though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I cannot WAIT for Mark Briscoe vs RUSH

They’re gonna go nuts; Briscoe was way more violent against Mox than I expected, can’t wait for him to match RUSH’s insane energy.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

AEW is so back, it’s like it never actually left.

Very interested to see what goes on with MJF for December and how they keep interest up in the devil stuff and the Joe match. Although I guess just have Joe come out and do cool poo poo for the 2nd part of that equation.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

QT absolutely fits into AAA and will probably have an insane ladder match or something with Psycho Clown by the end of 2024.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

QT and Cody having that blood feud that involved a figure 4 on top of a bus was loving wild, in hindsight.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Lamuella posted:

I can understand thinking the show was better at other points. Not everything is for everyone and responses to injuries etc have meant that some shows have been uneven.

I can't understand saying that the show is in a "death spiral", which I've seen on here, and not even from people shitposting.

There were people saying the Simpsons had lost all of its spark in season 3 and thought the show wasn't long for this world. AEW's in year 4, you're gonna have people who naturally lose interest and the show just can't hit the same way it did when it was brand spanking new or in those first few months when it went back on the road.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nooooo absolutely not. The hardcore fans who posted on message boards at the time absolutely thought it started sucking after season 4. Maybe even earlier!

Seasons 5, 6, and 7 had massive drops in viewership ever year, imagine the insanity online after "22 Short Films About Springfield" lost in the demo to "The Single Guy".

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

rotinaj posted:

“So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth AEW that’s completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?”

“And, also, you should win things by watching”

Shockwave the Robot vs Takeshita in a special commercial-free segment sponsored by DraftKings where YOU can win $500 in DraftKings Cash (TM) by tweeting a secret message that appears.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

CaptainApathyUK posted:

One thing I'm noticing is that there's just as much "There's heat backstage and we understand people aren't happy with Punk" stuff coming out of WWE the past few days as there ever was coming out of AEW pre-Brawl Out.

I wonder if he'll lose his mind about his new colleagues apparently going to the dirtsheets like he did with The Elite

In all honesty WWE is too boring and too scripted for a major freakout, but he's presumably going to have beef with somebody who's friends with the Elite or Moxley or something. We'll probably hear about Drew Gulak getting banned from RAW or something like that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

That DICK! posted:

it is wednesday my dudes

Please give me your time machine

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Bryan Danielson loving rules. Imagine wrestling Okada with a broken arm and firing CM Punk in the span of a few months.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

Speaking of, what happened to taya?

Minor spoiler but she’s back with Johnny TV as of the ROH tapings from this weekend. She does something pretty cool, I think they’re setting her up as Johnny’s muscle.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Mark Briscoe vs RUSH

Jay White vs Swerve

Mox vs Lethal (it's still probably gonna be a fun match)

Danielson (the Punkslayer) on commentary

Christian's gonna tell Copeland to go gently caress himself

MJF's shoulder might explode on live TV

Let's loving go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

RandolphCarter posted:

Jay Lethal will shock the world tonight

I assume they're pushing what Eddie Kingston told Lethal not that long ago - that he's a good wrestler who doesn't need a bunch of goons to win matches. I mean, he kept up with (an admittedly injured) Swerve last week, if he can hang with Mox tonight then I think you could get a nice face turn outta this tournament for him.