Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

quote:

All Fuuko wants is a passionate romance like the one in her favorite shoujo manga. Unfortunately, her Unluck ability makes that impossible. But just as Fuuko hits rock bottom, Andy sweeps her off her feet—literally! Now she's become Andy's unwilling test subject as he works to find a way to trigger a stroke of Unluck big enough to kill him for good. However, when the pair discovers a secret organization is hunting them, it puts Andy's burial plans on hold.

A girl, cursed with "Unluck", attempts to take her own life, when she meets a man cursed with "Undead". This is the story about the search for the greatest death ever.

An anime adaptation of the 2020 manga of the same name by Yoshifumi Tozuka, UNDEAD UNLUCK is produced by David Pro (you know, JoJo) and directed by ex-SHAFT freelancer Yuuki Yase (Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb), resulting in a hilarious mix of gory blood-pumping action scenes and breathtaking cinematography (a.k.a. Shaft head tilts).

FUUKO IZUMO, AKA "UNLUCK"
Voiced by: Moe Kahara (Tomoe Inui - Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki)

A young woman who is ready to face death as she can no longer take the misfortune she puts upon the ones closest to her. Living her entire life fearful of touching anyone, even the smallest brush can bring about her UNLUCK.

??? - Nicknamed: ANDY, AKA "UNDEAD"
Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura (Satoru Gojou - Jujutsu Kaisen)

A man who has lived for so long that he has even forgotten his own name, who happens upon Fuuko at the edge of a bridge. He is content to watch her throw herself off the edge until he hears how her Unluck causes people to die. It just so happens that this man is cursed with UNDEAD and really wants to die.

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_ioX_-GoQ

Opening 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzAsF51T_w

Ending 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=canptz0g5_k

Official website
https://undead-unluck.net/

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

For what its worth, this is currently in its 7th (about to be 8th) week of airing, with 24 total episodes scheduled. Please be mindful of spoilers for those who are seeing this for the first time and deciding to try it out (also no manga spoilers this is anime only, buddy)

Also this is available on HULU and ... not anywhere else as far as I'm aware, which is probably why no-one has made a thread for it up until now.
or yknow, :filez:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 23, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The visuals and the music in the OP are sick

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

You could even say they are wicked sick.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

goodass OP, imo

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

been reading this one for a while, really enjoying where the manga is at. Last episode looked like it had some production issues but otherwise David's done a great adaptation

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might make a thread for the manga later because it is really stellar

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Latest episode had some issues, but I am assuming that is cause they are planning on stuff for next week.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Wicked sick!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Sagabal posted:

been reading this one for a while, really enjoying where the manga is at. Last episode looked like it had some production issues but otherwise David's done a great adaptation

I heard from friends that the early manga chapters were a little rough but the anime so far has been incredible

and yeah, they must have spent too much money that week, all the repeat cuts and stuff. still managed to make me cry though!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

Might make a thread for the manga later because it is really stellar

Undead Unluck: In Two Years It's The Best Manga Ever, Promise.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck is sick. Wicked sick.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zeruel posted:

I heard from friends that the early manga chapters were a little rough but the anime so far has been incredible

and yeah, they must have spent too much money that week, all the repeat cuts and stuff. still managed to make me cry though!

Imo we're already past the rough parts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Way better showing this week, love the lighting in the second half.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

shen loves it
undead unluck crazy good this week

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2023

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Zeruel posted:

The first 15 chapters had very big "about to get cancelled" energy but it bounced back in a great way.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I love the Ennio Morricone turn the music does with the chorus towards the end of episode 8. Incredibly thematic with the setting they're in.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
For anyone thinking about getting Hulu for this, they have a cyber Monday deal for 12 months for 99 cents a month for the ad supported tier. I got about 3 minutes of ads per episode, so not too bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Might have been a little too dark, otherwise good episode and the added scenes are making this a solid adaptation.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Undead Unluck crazy good. If not for the indomitable spirit of humanity, that ability seems loving busted as hell. loving the style they're pulling off on here.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 2, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

lots of series pulling the LTG card this season

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Where were the meteors coming from if there was no galaxy before? And wasnt there the sun in the past? Wouldnt that be part of the galaxy? So the power of galaxy is the threat of aliens, and im assuming that threat is countered by justice's negation. Im assuming her using her power against Victor wouldnt have worked since his idea of justice wasnt as bad as the aliens?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

kneelbeforezog posted:

Where were the meteors coming from if there was no galaxy before? And wasnt there the sun in the past? Wouldnt that be part of the galaxy? So the power of galaxy is the threat of aliens, and im assuming that threat is countered by justice's negation. Im assuming her using her power against Victor wouldnt have worked since his idea of justice wasnt as bad as the aliens?

I assume that her Unjustice just causes infighting. When Andy and Fuko first arrived, Andy was going to fight Tatiana, but Unjustice happened and they changed their aims to Fuko and Billy respectively. Also who knows! Gena asking "What are those?" to Fuko's painting of the moon having stars because there were no stars... and Victor asking Shen what day of the week and Shen being confused at it suggests that there's a fuckin... UMA Day or something as well. At the very least, the Earth, the Sun and the Moon were there... Maybe the first UMA was UMA Christianity God
This show is so good I am intrigued and invested.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2023

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

kneelbeforezog posted:

The solar system was there before UMA Galaxy. The meteors were probably pulled from the asteroid belt or something. But there wasn't anything past the solar system, just endless void. Galaxy fills in the rest of the universe with stuff.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

golden bubble posted:

The solar system was there before UMA Galaxy. The meteors were probably pulled from the asteroid belt or something. But there wasn't anything past the solar system, just endless void. Galaxy fills in the rest of the universe with stuff.

a friend pointed out in Gena's episodes, theres some space debris floating around so it might be that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really like the concept of UMAs being the rules of the world.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh I always thought this was called Undead UnlOck

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

kneelbeforezog posted:

As I understand it, UnJustice is very similar to Shen's power in how it works, except it makes you do the opposite of what your innermost beliefs or ideals are. Tatiana and Andy really wanted to protect a particular person, so when she used it on them they were about to attack those people instead. So using it on Victor may not have actually done anything helpful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Justin_Brett posted:

As I understand it, UnJustice is very similar to Shen's power in how it works, except it makes you do the opposite of what your innermost beliefs or ideals are. Tatiana and Andy really wanted to protect a particular person, so when she used it on them they were about to attack those people instead. So using it on Victor may not have actually done anything helpful.

Notably the lead alien didn't turn on his forces, because he didn't actually believe what he was spouting.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Zeruel posted:

I assume that her Unjustice just causes infighting. When Andy and Fuko first arrived, Andy was going to fight Tatiana, but Unjustice happened and they changed their aims to Fuko and Billy respectively. Also who knows! Gena asking "What are those?" to Fuko's painting of the moon having stars because there were no stars... and Victor asking Shen what day of the week and Shen being confused at it suggests that there's a fuckin... UMA Day or something as well. At the very least, the Earth, the Sun and the Moon were there... Maybe the first UMA was UMA Christianity God
This show is so good I am intrigued and invested.

With the introduction of Galaxy, they also mentioned with it came the culture of myths dealing with planets and days of the week now as well

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

GateOfD posted:

With the introduction of Galaxy, they also mentioned with it came the culture of myths dealing with planets and days of the week now as well

It's funny that the gregorian calendar was still around but not Saturday

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the combination of negators, artifacts, and UMA is such a great recipe to just make up any cool battles they want.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First ep of the dub went live this morning

It's alright

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Undub

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's not a dub it's the unification of all languages to English

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's not a dub it's the unification of all languages to English

It would've been incredible if everyone had no choice but to watch in japanese right until the language unification, then everyone has to watch in english.

I suspect there's some legal hurtles involved mixing dubs like that though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wouldn't be surprised if they made sure to delay the dub announcement until now for that joke at least

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I'm really liking this show. The action has been quite good, especially in the last couple episodes, and there's an emotional core to the side characters that I wasn't expecting. I hope it does well because I'd love to get another season.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

clothy is funny. give him a ball of spaghetti (yarn) to make it up to him. what if there was a really big orca for some reason.
really good episode. i keep praying that its not the end of the episode every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Was thinking it the whole time so I'm glad the show just came out and called the UMA's "cryptids."

The "next time on" segments are some of my favorite parts of some anime, following week to week, and Undead Unluck does em real good.