Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

the introduction of the people "hunting negators" being some evil organization in the beginning felt like such a fakeout. I guess they had some editor conversations and decided to change some stuff.

we have the yazuka-like hitman laughing manically that he's gonna end the girl. And how they tortured Andy a lot when they captured him. Honestly, they probably did manage to just capture him when he was Victor, so given how Victor acts, they probably had reason to do testing on him.

UnAvoidable being a jerk, and Shen just not caring at all that he's dead, and even sells out another team-member of his. Yet after we joined, it looks to me he actually has a strong sense of comradery with the people in the organization. Which runs counter to how we see him in the his intro. episodes.

Unchange having a deathwish making it seem like the organization is again, some scummy dirty thing...but I guess they do imprison people and things..they're the good guys? They have to do what they need to save the world. She just felt homeless at the whole situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

everything about the series feels like the was a very drastic direction change somewhere in the early chapters and it was ultimately all for the better

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd love to see translations of the poster cards from those issues of Jump, they must be fascinating. But SJ doesn't publish the comment cards in Japanese, let alone English, preferring to keep reader feedback private.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think someone in this thread posted it was on the chopping block for a good bit before it managed to pull through. Which would explain early weirdness or weird bits trying tie up other ends like Juiz explaining why she sent Shen and Void to kill Fuko(although I think saying Fuko was a quest target would have been a better explanation.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

New SJ series are constantly on the chopping block. There's like a dozen series waiting in the wings just aching for a spot in the magazine and the churn is real. You basically have to make it to two years before the threat of cancellation isn't constant.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
UU manga was definitely skirting the under 19 club for a bit

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It still doesn't sell particularly well and it doesn't look like the anime has really given it a pop yet.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

another wicked sick episode. almost thought andy was going to pull the card out again.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hi koichi

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wow that's one overpowered negator ability. Totally koichi.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Series is now on d+ for european audiences, first two episodes for the time being.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

drat, didn't think about the language thing pretty much revealing Negators that don't speak english.

episode 12 was a banger, things just keep escalating

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 28, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

they really gotta cool it with the recaps from 10 seconds ago
that said, another amazing episode which made me cry yet again

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What chapter is the show up to at this point? Been enjoying it a lot and want to pick up reading it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh Snapple! posted:

What chapter is the show up to at this point? Been enjoying it a lot and want to pick up reading it.

I believe today's episode covers Chapters 25 and 26, so the start of Chapter 27 should be exactly where the next episode begins. I think they've been almost overbearingly faithful to the chapter structure as well (this episode is pretty flashback-heavy because they stuck exactly to the two chapters they were adapting), generally covering 2-3 chapters an episode, and have only rarely moved stuff around (and only small stuff at that) so you should be fine without having to go back and read over stuff they might have skipped.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That said, there's a couple of minor differences in the manga and anime just due to directorial choices. Apparently the series director did the Monogatari series and carried forward a directorial flourish from that anime, which was completely removing all inessential background characters. The scene in episode 1 where Fuuko is about to jump off the overpass and the scene in episode 5 in the restaurant both had lots of random bystanders in the manga, and the anime cuts them entirely. I'm not even complaining, but it's kind of surreal when you notice it. This is second-hand though so I could be wrong about some details.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 30, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

That said, there's a couple of minor differences in the manga and anime just due to directorial choices. Apparently the series director did the Monogatari series and carried forward a directorial flourish from that anime, which was completely removing all inessential background characters. The scene in episode 1 where Fuuko is about to jump off the overpass and the scene in episode 5 in the restaurant both had lots of random bystanders in the manga, and the anime cuts them entirely. I'm not even complaining, but it's kind of surreal when you notice it. This is second-hand though so I could be wrong about some details.

I was wondering about that.

They also did some minor changes to reflect future plot points.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also also, I'm reading online about this latest episode and apparently this ep didn't air in Japan yet because there was supposed to be a break until after the new year, and people think Disney hosed up and put it on Hulu by accident???

lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zeruel posted:

they really gotta cool it with the recaps from 10 seconds ago
that said, another amazing episode which made me cry yet again

That and the lengthy recap at the beginning is very weird.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

saving budget

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I have been informed that Undead Unluck is now on Disney Plus now that they're Unmoused

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

dang, ep13 was lit.
love how they reveal abilities.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Also also, I'm reading online about this latest episode and apparently this ep didn't air in Japan yet because there was supposed to be a break until after the new year, and people think Disney hosed up and put it on Hulu by accident???

lmao

Went to check just now and lol, yep, they absolutely put the episode up a week early, lol

(which is to say, don't expect episode 14 on Friday)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like how quickly this series became about dethroning and killing god lol

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

for all the problems I have with UMA Recap recapping the episode every 5 minutes, this was a good rear end episode still

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I don't know why there's so much recapping, can they not afford enough animation and have to save time and budget for the big fight scenes?

That reminds me of an old parody cartoon where the studio ran out of money to do the lip syncing so everyone covered their mouth or faced away from the camera when they talked.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I don't know why there's so much recapping, can they not afford enough animation and have to save time and budget for the big fight scenes?

That reminds me of an old parody cartoon where the studio ran out of money to do the lip syncing so everyone covered their mouth or faced away from the camera when they talked.

It reads to me more like a pacing issue. I think they're stretching out some of the material because they know where they want to end the season. Both of the last two episodes adapted about a chapter and a half instead of the usual two chapters. Having read the manga, I know what chapter I think they'll end on, and they're on pace to get there at about two chapters an episode (at least, depending on how many episodes in their order, if it's only 24 they might have to speed up a bit), and they probably don't want to end the season in the middle of an arc.

That said, today's episode was definitely better-paced because it wasn't a big battle they decided to show the conclusion to twice for some reason, and the only recap was the standard one at the beginning of the episode. The additions they made felt pretty natural too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

First time in a while I've been spoiled directly by an OP instead of indirectly.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

got around to watching it today. OP and ED are good but the first lot are still the best ones for me. many questions being raised. hang in there chikara.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

this episode was weird.
why the heck was Chikara's friend there at the school that late at night?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He forgot his bag, obviously. Can't do your homework without your bag.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The new OP and ED are weaker visually, but I like their songs better.

Also Fuko is great

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

ryo was probably at school practicing baseball pitches or something he's gonna go to koshien.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

On a basketball scholarship?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good ep, even if the flashbacks were pretty egregious. Most of them were fine but the ones involving Tatiana were way too long.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Helluva first day on the job for Chikara

Arist posted:

Good ep, even if the flashbacks were pretty egregious. Most of them were fine but the ones involving Tatiana were way too long.

there's been a lot more stalling for time with flashbacks since the boat arc started.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Not a very big fan of the last episode, random poo poo going on with little sense to make of it. Billy suddenly going all "the aristocrats" without even bit of character building makes the writing look bad.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress! Poor Tatiana

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How they supposed to beat a guy who can copy their powers, talk about unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

it's honestly unbillyvable