Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Not a very big fan of the last episode, random poo poo going on with little sense to make of it. Billy suddenly going all "the aristocrats" without even bit of character building makes the writing look bad.

Hopefully the anime goes on long enough but the series eventually starts really getting into everyone's motivations. All of the Union and Under characters get full backstories and focus arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You can tell this show didn't have all their ducks in a row when it started. These are some interesting turn of events for a longer-running show in the later part of the season, not 16 episodes into the first season. It almost feels like I missed the middle of the season.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'm really excited to learn more about Spring Summer Fall and Winter

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If killing them has the same effect as killing other UMA this'll be wild.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

I think at the moment, there have no seasons. The UMAs contain the existence of them though.
Killing them would keep the "norm" in the show. Failing will bring seasons into existence, hence the penalty is revolution which will make seasons possible.

ep16 was crazy though.
don't trust blind people in anime (even if they're pretending to be)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GateOfD posted:

I think at the moment, there have no seasons. The UMAs contain the existence of them though.
Killing them would keep the "norm" in the show. Failing will bring seasons into existence, hence the penalty is revolution which will make seasons possible.

ep16 was crazy though.
don't trust blind people in anime (even if they're pretending to be)

Im pretty sure the UMAs are rules that already exist. Spoil, for instance, wasn’t an alien concept to Fuko and Andy. They already knew about the idea of things going rotten over time, it was even in the dictionary.
Seasons must already exist in some form but they currently have nothing to do with the earth revolving around the sun because that rule hasn’t been added.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This isn't a spoiler, but Billy wasn't lying about being blind. It took me until watching this episode over to notice (even having read the manga), but his eyes heal after Top kicks him the same way his injuries from using Unstoppable do. You can actually see the light come back into them in this episode.

Side note: it took me forever to realize Billy was blind in the first place (and not just a cool guy wearing sunglasses all the time) because the manga just doesn't point stuff like that out, it's very content to let details be totally in the background. One big example of this is the dude with the minigun from Under losing his arm when Tatiana released Unstoppable on the ship. In the anime, there's a whole gross cut of his arm being ripped to shreds; in the manga, we see him running away from the blast and then when Under is escaping from the ship his arm is suddenly missing. I think that's a good addition, personally, but it was shocking when I went back and realized it just wasn't in the source material at all, lol.

e: that's enough about the manga for now tho, I'll stop talking about it if people prefer I not

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 29, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i figured he was blind from his first line when they were fighting at the table when the two just joined and she unjustice'd them, and Titania was aiming at him and he's like "what's going on?"

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

good episode this week. i wonder what Unfeel means/does. i like nico's goon squad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good episode but shades of one piece pacing with the whole "let's repeat the last five minutes" thing.

I love next week's episode title though Cry for the Moon, not sure how they mean it but man I'm looking forward to it

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Great episode, lots of fun effects. Blud actually got a bit hosed up and that was fun.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

RIP stonehenge

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was... egregious.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

the show is REALLY good there's some great bits but my loving god these recaps

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No, you don't get it, the flashbacks are there for Unremember, the Negator whose skill makes them incapable of remembering anything that happened even one episode before. This anime is made entirely for them.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

the penalty is the creation of UMA Recap.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yeah, I think I'll just read the manga instead at this point, since things really seem to have slowed to an absolute crawl. The entire ep was like 5 minutes worth of exposition dragged out to twenty.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, I think I'll just read the manga instead at this point, since things really seem to have slowed to an absolute crawl. The entire ep was like 5 minutes worth of exposition dragged out to twenty.

Disney plus is currently at episode 9 in my region, i've decided to wait until it reaches the last one i've watched (16) to see if i still have interest in finishing it.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

AnoHito posted:

I don't get why the anime is doing this, it feels like they ran out of money or didn't plan out the pacing. It is pretty frustrating, I love the manga and I really hope this does well enough to get to the later arcs, but this has been one piece levels of recaps. The manga is really good, I encourage anyone who is going to drop the anime over this crap to check it out, I think we are around chapter 36.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
It's almost like they figured they were only getting 1 season, only to find out they actually needed to stretch it over 2. Only you'd think that would have been known about way in advance.

It's funny, the first cour was really well done, especially considering the early chapters in the mange were ...not good. The quality is still there, when it's not a recap and we're getting new stuff.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

caught up on the anime.
drat, the lore dump.
liked that there was clues, i noticed them, but good seeing them all wrapped up now.
is this series finished? It feels so endgame already

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GateOfD posted:

caught up on the anime.
drat, the lore dump.
liked that there was clues, i noticed them, but good seeing them all wrapped up now.

That episode adapted Chapters 35 and 36.

Chapter 194 was published this week, so no, it's not finished.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GateOfD posted:

caught up on the anime.
drat, the lore dump.

Next episode takes us up to chapter 37 of the manga, the most current chapter is 194.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, the manga isn't really considered by most to have taken off until like it's second year or so which means you've got a ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's definitely a point later on that felt like it could have just been the end of the series but instead it double downs and instead becomes even better.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

the audacity of them to do a 5 second star wars intro bit aside, this was a REALLY good episode. my friends told me they replaced fuuko holding a gun with Andy, but given that the kyoani arsonist was just sentenced to death i think it can slide.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's odd that shueisha has an entire bookshelf devoted to American political theory next to their manuscript storage.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Here is the manga version of that scene from the most recent episode for anyone who wants to see. I think I prefer the manga version, but I get why they decided to change it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Good to know that. I was waiting for her to knock out the editor and run with the manuscript before the phone call came up, but that is even better.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 19, 2024

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

turns out manga fuuko's Un was actually Unhinged.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Not the powder blue crocs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't forget me, your humble narrator.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not sure I get the connection between Autumn and stealing people's stories. Is it a japanese pun or something?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

not sure I get the connection between Autumn and stealing people's stories. Is it a japanese pun or something?

Autumn is viewed as a time for reading books in Japan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Autumn is viewed as a time for reading books in Japan.

ah that makes sense

Roxors posted:

Here is the manga version of that scene from the most recent episode for anyone who wants to see. I think I prefer the manga version, but I get why they decided to change it.

I definitely like this better because it shows Fuko being hardcore, tho the gag of Andy manifesting out of thin air is an acceptable substitute.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Aww sheeeet, the narrator was Anno Un!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's right, Andy was Abraham Lincoln.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This show can be very pretty

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Amazing story, lmao @ the padding. Gonna finish out the season then hop to the manga I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

catching up starting from ep19

this manga making part is so silly lol