Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

goodass OP, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might make a thread for the manga later because it is really stellar

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First ep of the dub went live this morning

It's alright

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh Snapple! posted:

What chapter is the show up to at this point? Been enjoying it a lot and want to pick up reading it.

I believe today's episode covers Chapters 25 and 26, so the start of Chapter 27 should be exactly where the next episode begins. I think they've been almost overbearingly faithful to the chapter structure as well (this episode is pretty flashback-heavy because they stuck exactly to the two chapters they were adapting), generally covering 2-3 chapters an episode, and have only rarely moved stuff around (and only small stuff at that) so you should be fine without having to go back and read over stuff they might have skipped.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That said, there's a couple of minor differences in the manga and anime just due to directorial choices. Apparently the series director did the Monogatari series and carried forward a directorial flourish from that anime, which was completely removing all inessential background characters. The scene in episode 1 where Fuuko is about to jump off the overpass and the scene in episode 5 in the restaurant both had lots of random bystanders in the manga, and the anime cuts them entirely. I'm not even complaining, but it's kind of surreal when you notice it. This is second-hand though so I could be wrong about some details.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 30, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also also, I'm reading online about this latest episode and apparently this ep didn't air in Japan yet because there was supposed to be a break until after the new year, and people think Disney hosed up and put it on Hulu by accident???

lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Also also, I'm reading online about this latest episode and apparently this ep didn't air in Japan yet because there was supposed to be a break until after the new year, and people think Disney hosed up and put it on Hulu by accident???

lmao

Went to check just now and lol, yep, they absolutely put the episode up a week early, lol

(which is to say, don't expect episode 14 on Friday)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I don't know why there's so much recapping, can they not afford enough animation and have to save time and budget for the big fight scenes?

That reminds me of an old parody cartoon where the studio ran out of money to do the lip syncing so everyone covered their mouth or faced away from the camera when they talked.

It reads to me more like a pacing issue. I think they're stretching out some of the material because they know where they want to end the season. Both of the last two episodes adapted about a chapter and a half instead of the usual two chapters. Having read the manga, I know what chapter I think they'll end on, and they're on pace to get there at about two chapters an episode (at least, depending on how many episodes in their order, if it's only 24 they might have to speed up a bit), and they probably don't want to end the season in the middle of an arc.

That said, today's episode was definitely better-paced because it wasn't a big battle they decided to show the conclusion to twice for some reason, and the only recap was the standard one at the beginning of the episode. The additions they made felt pretty natural too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good ep, even if the flashbacks were pretty egregious. Most of them were fine but the ones involving Tatiana were way too long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This isn't a spoiler, but Billy wasn't lying about being blind. It took me until watching this episode over to notice (even having read the manga), but his eyes heal after Top kicks him the same way his injuries from using Unstoppable do. You can actually see the light come back into them in this episode.

Side note: it took me forever to realize Billy was blind in the first place (and not just a cool guy wearing sunglasses all the time) because the manga just doesn't point stuff like that out, it's very content to let details be totally in the background. One big example of this is the dude with the minigun from Under losing his arm when Tatiana released Unstoppable on the ship. In the anime, there's a whole gross cut of his arm being ripped to shreds; in the manga, we see him running away from the blast and then when Under is escaping from the ship his arm is suddenly missing. I think that's a good addition, personally, but it was shocking when I went back and realized it just wasn't in the source material at all, lol.

e: that's enough about the manga for now tho, I'll stop talking about it if people prefer I not

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 29, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was... egregious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GateOfD posted:

caught up on the anime.
drat, the lore dump.
liked that there was clues, i noticed them, but good seeing them all wrapped up now.
is this series finished? It feels so endgame already

That episode adapted Chapters 35 and 36.

Chapter 194 was published this week, so no, it's not finished.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remembered what this episode was going to cover right before it happened and I'm sad now :(

There's also a bunch of episode after the credits, just fyi. Anyway, a good one! Weird that they did so much recap earlier in the season only to rush through a bunch of the last few eps, though! I also like that the "next time on" has no narration because the future is unwritten now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I already read the manga but I was still welling up a bit when Akira finally got his Unknown Negator text drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The recap in the final episode was also in the manga so it doesn't really count