Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

AndrewP posted:

actually insanely good quarterbacks elevate their team. Stroud had every excuse to be lousy this season but, being insanely good, he has lifted them to competency

Now make Eberflus his coach.

Fields isn’t as good as stroud, but he can be the guy for a team with even middling coaching if someone can teach him when to stay in or leave the pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

No Butt Stuff posted:

Now make Eberflus his coach.

Fields isn’t as good as stroud, but he can be the guy for a team with even middling coaching if someone can teach him when to stay in or leave the pocket.
Yeah, look at how much better Josh Allen has looked since the Bills fired Ken Dorsey. Fields is nowhere near as good and may not be good *at all* but he’s also very clearly not getting any help from his coaching staff.

He might even still have potential, though the Bears are probably better off finding a new QB to Bears.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Fields is ultimately fated to be like, the 18th best quarterback in the league with maybe higher-than-usual upside if you find a situation for him that's absolutely perfectly tailored to his strengths, and lower-than-usual downside if you just put him in a vanilla offense that's designed for Joe Quarterback to run

The absence of drive-to-drive consistency in all but like...two? games of his career is a problem that goes beyond playcalling and personnel imo so I'm not really worried about him leaving Chicago and suddenly unlocking this superstar level to his game

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

xbilkis posted:

I think Fields is ultimately fated to be like, the 18th best quarterback in the league with maybe higher-than-usual upside if you find a situation for him that's absolutely perfectly tailored to his strengths, and lower-than-usual downside if you just put him in a vanilla offense that's designed for Joe Quarterback to run

The absence of drive-to-drive consistency in all but like...two? games of his career is a problem that goes beyond playcalling and personnel imo so I'm not really worried about him leaving Chicago and suddenly unlocking this superstar level to his game

Yeah, that's where I'm at with Fields at this point, now. 35 games into his career, I think he's shown us what he really is, which is to say: 1) He's not a pocket passer, 2) he has terrible footwork in the pocket, 3) he has real issues with fumbles and strip sacks, 4) he holds onto the ball way too long and 5) he's playing terrified because he's running for his life on almost every dropback. Sure, every now and again he can nail a laser bolt to DJ Moore, like he did to set up the game-winning field goal the other night, but all too often he's ignoring receivers who are completely open with no DBs anywhere near them because he's already staring at and locked-on to his target, drat the torpedoes.

Maybe some other team can unlock something with him, but I just don't think he's the guy in Chicago.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Fields is simultaneously the best QB in Chicago history and needs to be shipped out because he can't succeed here. I say this in all sincerity

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wat

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

He's better than Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler and Kyle Orton. But he's doomed to failure with an organization that refuses to play to his strengths.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Fields is absolutely not better than Jay Cutler. He's probably not even better than Mitch Trubisky. Come on now.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's probably not even better than Mitch Trubisky.

Come on now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The337th posted:

Come on now.
Mitchy beats him in literally every productivity metric, despite also having a lovely HC/OC and supporting cast.
code:
		Fields	Trubisky
ANY/A		4.7	5.6
EPA/Play	-0.033	0.44	
Passer Rating	83.1	85.8
PFF Grade	60.7	62.5
QBR		44.1	49.9

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Mitchy beats him in literally every productivity metric, despite also having a lovely HC/OC and supporting cast.
code:
		Fields	Trubisky
ANY/A		4.7	5.6
EPA/Play	-0.033	0.44	
Passer Rating	83.1	85.8
PFF Grade	60.7	62.5
QBR		44.1	49.9

Well, if they're both statues firmly cemented to the ground, these are definitely the only metrics for productivity that are needed

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I can't imagine a world where someone thinks Fields is better than Jay Cutler.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The idea that Matt Nagy and Luke Getsy are somehow comparable as OCs is baffling to me

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Zurreco posted:

I can't imagine a world where someone thinks Fields is better than Jay Cutler.

I was mostly talking out my rear end but I'm shocked how close their career Bears passing stats are , and Fields is miles ahead at running the ball. The big difference is sacks taken where yeah, that shows he really does hold onto the ball way too much. Cutler suffered just as bad behind miserable lines and no WRs for years.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 30, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Jay Cutler was definitely better than Fields and I don't even like Cutler

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fields has been sabotaged. Justice for Fields.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

WTF Cutler wasn't great but he's definitely better than Fields.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Fields has been sabotaged. Justice for Fields.
Sabotaged at a cosmic level. He was an Ohio State QB and is now a Bears QB! He must have done something terrible in a past life....

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Sabotaged at a cosmic level. He was an Ohio State QB and is now a Bears QB! He must have done something terrible in a past life....

That’s what happens when you follow the path of Mike Tomczak.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rex Grossman erasure shall not go unnoticed.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Fields has shown that, if he's protected well and is given the 18 seconds he wants to throw, he can absolutely thrash people - like the Denver and Washington games this year. The fact the offensive line has started to gel together (the blitz happy Vikings game notwithstanding) does give me some pause, especially if they *don't* use the Panthers pick on a QB and trade down, you're almost certainly adding another few pieces on the offensive line and getting Fields another top flight receiver. So, there's a real debate there.

But if you have the 1st overall, it's probably impossible to not draft a QB with it. I dunno.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't believe Caleb Williams can mentally handle being a Bears Quarterback and Fields can, he's a rock.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fields is incapable of playing in rhythm

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

But if you have the 1st overall, it's probably impossible to not draft a QB with it. I dunno.

They'd be better served to grab Marvin Harrison Jr. or Brock Bowers, rather than Maye or Williams. Getting a Pro Bowl-level talent onto the field is going to help Fields look a LOT better.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mdemone posted:

They'd be better served to grab Marvin Harrison Jr. or Brock Bowers, rather than Maye or Williams. Getting a Pro Bowl-level talent onto the field is going to help Fields look a LOT better.

I dunno, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of 'Fields would be pretty good if extricated from the morass of Chicago Bears football', but he's got DJ Moore and Cole Kmet to throw to. The overall talent level could be better, but it's not like he doesn't have anyone.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

that's true, I forgot about Kmet. I think both he and Moore are a tier below what Harrison & Bowers will be in the league, though.

edit: although lining up Harrison and Moore on opposite sides of the field would help Moore look a hell of a lot better, too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel it makes way more sense to draft Williams and trade Fields for a 2nd or 3rd. He's shown enough where a team will give up a decent pick for him.

But he's not the guy and this is your best chance to get the guy.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Fields looked pretty awesome on the first drive of the game against minny. beyond that, well to be honest with you the game was pretty boring so I didn’t pay much attention, but he seemed inconsistent, which I guess is ultimately his issue

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hot Diggity! posted:

Fields is incapable of playing in rhythm

Trade Fields to the Fremen Sandworms :hmmyes:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Justin Fields cannot fail, he can only be failed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Justin Fields cannot fail, he can only be failed

this is correct, thank you!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Fields is a great QB for the Bears in that he’s not a great QB.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

they should trade Fields to Miami

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I have decided to become a Justin Fields Dead-Ender and will defend his honor, online.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ben Johnson is going to unleash fields’ potential next year.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FizFashizzle posted:

Ben Johnson is going to unleash fields’ potential next year.

In Atlanta

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Fields on Carolina would tear it up

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

Fields on Carolina would tear it up

Throwing to who? Tepper's wife?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Black Lighter posted:

Throwing to who? Tepper's wife?

In this reality they take a shot at a mid to decent deep threat receiver and try to wring out another year out of their white stallion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That sounds like a three win team. Which would be a big improvement.