Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Near the end of the Commanders game the announcer said something to the effect of "The offense isn't really to blame, the defense gave up so much and really lost them the game." and I can't stop thinking about how stupid that statement was.

They scored 10 points and gave up a pick 6, so they net only 3 points. The Browns, to compare against a team with a bad offense but good defense, would be 2-8 if they only scored 10 points per game. They'd be 0-2-8 if they also gave up a pick 6 in those 2 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

They showed the replay on the broadcast. The guy was pointing at something and didn't see the ref.

I figured that had to be a misleading tweet because a player full on punching a ref would be huge news and the gif would be everywhere.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

Purdy had the game winning drive vs the browns. Kicker missed.

He also threw for only 125 yards and had only a 44% completion rate. He looked awful that game.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I still think Myles Garrett has a shot at MVP. It's an outside shot, but if the Browns make the playoffs basically carried by that defense, QBs continue to look human AND he breaks the sack record, which he is on pace to tie or beat, he's a solid candidate. In all likelihood it will end up not only going to an offensive player but to a QB even with how human even the best QBs have looked this year, but Garrett is having a monster year and getting just enough "Wow this guy is a MONSTER" coverage that I think there is a slim but real chance he gets the first defensive MVP since LT.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

There's gonna be some weird poo poo for MVP this year like Russell Wilson winning it after taking the AFC West. If they win tomorrow the Broncos could legitimately win out.

vCLE
@HOU
@LAC
@DET
vNE
vLAC
@LV

Looking at a 5-5 team with a schedule that includes a 8-3 team, 7-3 team, and 6-4 team and thinking they could win out seems a little optimistic. If they win those three games, which I think is a long shot, they have a decent shot since the rest of the games are not good teams. Even then though, it requires a level of consistently good play we just haven't seen from the Broncos.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

Anyone want to change their mind on the Broncos now

Absolutely not.

Beating the Browns with DTR as a starting QB doesn't make me think they are any more likely to win out.

:toxx: If the Broncos win out I will donate $100 to a Denver area charity. I usually pick foodbanks for this stuff but I'll have to research denver charities a bit.

I encourage you to make a toxx for the opposite if you're so confident, but I will keep my toxx regardless.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The browns defense is weird in that they can be good but they did allow both the Colts and the Ravens score 30+

It's partly that they rely on being super aggressive which can blow up in their faces sometimes. They mostly thrive on getting ahead on down and distance and coming up big on third downs, particularly when the other team needs to pass on 3rd downs. When that doesn't work, they don't work. They also are much better at stopping the pass than the run.

This is made worse when their bad offense often strings together multiple 3 and outs in a row and give the defense zero break. Aggressive defense is much less effective when everyone is exhausted.

Also a lot of other teams points come off other units either straight up giving up points or leaving the defense in a poo poo spot. The last Ravens game for example had 14 points off of a pick 6 on the opening drive and a muffed punt giving the Ravens the ball at the 10.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 27, 2023

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
WR Screens are at a disadvantage most of the time blocker-wise. There is usually one more defender than there is blockers and the ball carrier usually needs to either get lucky or make a very good move to do anything other than get tackled +- 2 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Compare this to RB screens where the goal is to like trick most of the DL and any blitzers into going after the QB so the RB ends up with a wall of blockers in front of him against a smaller number of defenders.

Basically the WR only makes sense to either keep the defense from sending too many guys inside or if the defense is in some kind of weird alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not sure the last time I saw a jet sweep work.

Every time I see one I'm just happy if we don't fumble or lose more than a few yards.