Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Time Walker: Dark World apparently sneaked to v1.0 and has a Demo of late'ish:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2093910/Time_Walker_Dark_World/

Picked this up on a whim and it's pretty fun. Not a huge variety of skills, and only being able to equip 3 to a character at a time makes it feel pretty limiting. There's some good stuff here, I've been enjoying it and will probably play some more. Absolutely abysmal metaprogression, though - all the cool stuff is locked away and unless the currency earning changes in a big way it's grind as hell.

Megasabin posted:

So I've already put 30 hours into Mechabellum. I pretty much think it's the best thing to happen to RTS in over a decade. It's so drat good. Thinking about writing a stand alone thread for it. It really needs more attention.

I would be interested in a writeup. I bought it months ago and have run the tutorials but just can't seem to... get it. Seems like something I should like but just can't quite get there with it.

Similarly, I see that Legion TD2 is on sale. I'm afraid to buy it because it'd just be the same thing - a complex game that's cool and fun in theory that I just can't break through the wall to actually enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Alkanos posted:

Speaking of which, Backpack Battles released in early access last week:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2427700/Backpack_Battles/

The new classes are pretty interesting, plus they added a bunch of extra subclasses (or they did that before and it's been a while since I played). Looks like the demo's still up too, I'm guessing it's the same as before just without the new stuff.

Been playing a bunch of this. I played quite a bit of the demo at the end of last year and was pretty excited for it. It's good, but I don't know that it's great.

I really like the Super Auto Pets style of asynchronous multiplayer. Where you're just kind of doing your own thing solitaire style but you get matched up against other players that are doing the same thing. Makes it still feel competitive but without feeling personal in any way - it's a nice compromise I think.

I've played 3 of the 4 classes in to Diamond (not really interested in grinding master+) and once you start getting in to Gold the builds really start to homogenize. The gap between what's good and what's not good is pretty obvious after 10 or 15 rounds with a class - seeing both what you're doing and what you're beating/losing to. So that's a balance issue which is maybe simple to identify but I won't try to say that i's easy to fix. But the other problem is that since everyone is playing from their own pool of items, everyone can just roll for the good builds. In a lobby based auto battler like TFT where everyone pulls from the same pool this problem is somewhat self-correcting: If all 8 players know Jynx is the best champion they can either make the choice to fight over the limited number of Jynx in the pool or get out of the way and do something different while the other players cannibalize each other fighting over the limited resource. There doesn't seem to be that limiting factor in Backpack Battles so you tend to see a lot of the same builds with no kind of diminishing returns for the players forcing it, nor any incentive to the players trying to do something different.

I see just now that there was a patch this morning that, at a glance, is taking the top end off all the stuff that I'd been following as 'busted'. This just shifts the focus on what the 'best' build happens to be without fixing the problem, but closing the gap between what's great and what's only ok is a good start for more variety I hope.

The game is priced at $12 which feels about right. There's not a huge swath of gameplay here (you're always jamming poo poo in a backpack) but the variety between classes and runs is pretty good. Plus, it's a rare game that plays equally well for a 10 minute quick 'play a couple rounds before you go catch the bus' as it does for a couple hours in the evening which is pretty cool.