Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I grew up and because of my mother I'm still all around the cult that is Christian Science. It's not Scientology, it's the whack job religion that doesn't believe in medicine, doctors, taking any drugs including caffeine, the germ theory of disease....

It was horrific growing up that way It definitely hosed me up for life

Anything at all wrong is ignored because God made everything and God is perfect so everything God made is perfect.

It's like pathological denial for everything

I was gonna always make a thread full of horror stories about it but I never did it's too depressing

But then the rise of anti vaxers occurred!!! it's just nuts because I remember Christian Science always being just a laughing stock of a religion---these people die instead of getting anything treated medically

Val Kilmer is probably the most famous Christian Scientist now and he did not get his throat cancer treated until he was at the brink of death and him doing so did absolutely go against the religion. I'm surprised he caved to be honest

Because of my mom's career which was involved in the religion I personally know of many people who died or were lame or disfigured from lack of medical treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Yeah.. it makes a lot of people’s drinking much worse

Seriously doubt that . The problem AA has is its that its all seat of your pants everyone kind of decides their own way. Just because one person has a bad experience with a sponsor doesn't paint the whole organization. Its a giant anarchist organization anyway.

AA may be really Christian in some areas then in others not.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I just heard AA takes a very “Jesus is gonna help us through this” attitude and I can assume it sucks when someone takes advantage of it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Spinz posted:

I grew up and because of my mother I'm still all around the cult that is Christian Science. It's not Scientology, it's the whack job religion that doesn't believe in medicine, doctors, taking any drugs including caffeine, the germ theory of disease....

Anything at all wrong is ignored because God made everything and God is perfect so everything God made is perfect.

It's like pathological denial for everything

I was gonna always make a thread full of horror stories about it but I never did it's too depressing

But then the rise of anti vaxers occurred!!! it's just nuts because I remember Christian Science always being just a laughing stock of a religion---these people die instead of getting anything treated medically

Val Kilmer is probably the most famous Christian Scientist now and he did not get his throat cancer treated until he was at the brink of death and him doing so did absolutely go against the religion. I'm surprised he caved to be honest

Because of my mom's career which was involved in the religion I personally know of many people who died or were lame or disfigured from lack of medical treatment.

I've always hated this line of thinking amongst christians. Whelp god made you that way or he is punishing you for a reason, just live and die with it. All you can do is pray, and maybe if you believe hard enough he'll magically make it go away. If not, you didn't believe hard enough. You're a horrible person but it was god's will your faith would be weak because--

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

I'll tell one thing that always stuck with me

There was a really nice lady, she was so nice :love: probably in her 60s and she had breast cancer [I gathered.]. Of course she was getting no medical treatment and was instead staying in a Christian Science nursing facility. This is the place they go where they get bandaged up but no medicine, no doctors, no treatment. Its somewhere they can go to be sick and get better or mostly die. They think they are there for healing by God and practitioners. Practitioners are members of the cult whose only job is to be paid to pray for people.

She's in and out of the facility because medicare will only pay for short stays or something like that. I go visit her one time and I bring my cat trying to do something nice for her. To my horror after she starts petting my cat he starts sniffing at her chest and won't stop and then does that flehmen response and hisses at her chest and then hides under her bed and I have trouble getting him out. :(

God knows how awful and advanced it was under her multiple shirts

I couldn't help but think how insane it was that after some animal has that kind of reaction she is still going to pray that it's not there that it's not reality.

That in the words of their "Dear Leader":

"There is no life, truth, intelligence or substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation for God is all."

That's the cult's "Scientific statement of Being" which is the equivalent of probably the Lord's Prayer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Worse than alcoholism?

I've seen a person get mandated into AA, get WAY WAY into it and then purposely burn their relationships with everyone they knew who won't agree to go to 12 meetings a week. Including their spouse.

I wonder how that dude is doing. Harm reduction is better than AA imo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I. M. Gei posted:

Here's a horrifying fact I just learned. You know how FYAD just changed its forum title?

Yeah..... turns out this is what the Children of God cult actually believes.

Wait so like Jesus is giving me a handjob when I beat off? Thank you Jesus, that's real solid of you

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I've seen a person get mandated into AA, get WAY WAY into it and then purposely burn their relationships with everyone they knew who won't agree to go to 12 meetings a week. Including their spouse.

I wonder how that dude is doing. Harm reduction is better than AA imo.

What

Harm reduction

Isn't that like the concept that alcoholics can just drink less

If that's it just go away

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Also, doesn't the children of god cult literally wack off with the family to jesus?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It always struck me as odd that the Christian Scientists have such an amazing HQ in Boston. It's beautiful, in a brutalist way. The Mapparium is awesome.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My brother joined a jiu jitsu gym that seemed like a cult. People basically worshipped the sensei guy who did long speeches, he had an inner circle of devoted weirdos, they'd act like insane people if you didn't show up about tried to bully him into showing up every day. Luckily he immediately thought they all sucked and told them to gently caress off and left, and then one guy just kept calling him.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Theres a pretty wide range of good, evidence-based treatments for heavy drinking these days. Most of them have better success rates than AA’s 5%. It’s a false dichotomy to imagine the only choices are continued heavy drinking and AA.

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 26, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Spinz posted:

What

Harm reduction

Isn't that like the concept that alcoholics can just drink less

If that's it just go away

I quit drinking for 5 years thanks to a harm reduction program.

AA's learned powerlessness poo poo is a really ugly brainworm when people get hung up on it, and that's the main thing a lot of people take from AA because it's really attractive when you're at your weakest.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Theres a pretty wide range of good, evidence-based treatments for heavy drinking these days. Most of them have better successful rates than AA’s 5%. It’s a false dichotomy to imagine the only choices are continued heavy drinking and AA.

There are recovery threads in E/N and in TCC that are happy to be there for you and with you. If you have a problem feel free to reach out to me or any of the other sober guys in those threads.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

BigHead posted:

There are recovery threads in E/N and in TCC that are happy to be there for you and with you. If you have a problem feel free to reach out to me or any of the other sober guys in those threads.

e: Misunderstood what you were saying, apologies. As I understood it you were steppers tho in the TCC thread. Which is just AA really isn’t it come on now. Sneaky bit of recruiting.. Anyway if it’s relevant to anyone reading this there’s more help out there than meetings, steps etc and more perspectives than the disease model. I’m out of this thread anyway I’ve had enough of my time wasted on that cult

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 26, 2023

El Macho
Feb 10, 2005
Does anybody have experience with the Landmark Forum? It’s a self help program that ticks several cult type boxes. Long seminars where you are berated and not allowed to leave the room, forced to adopt very specific language for things, lots of pressure to purchase additional motivational materials, etc.

A former co worker of mine was pretty deep into it, and spent a fair amount of effort pestering co-workers, customers and even investors in our small engineering consultancy to join up. It was deeply uncomfortable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

El Macho posted:

Does anybody have experience with the Landmark Forum? It’s a self help program that ticks several cult type boxes. Long seminars where you are berated and not allowed to leave the room, forced to adopt very specific language for things, lots of pressure to purchase additional motivational materials, etc.

A former co worker of mine was pretty deep into it, and spent a fair amount of effort pestering co-workers, customers and even investors in our small engineering consultancy to join up. It was deeply uncomfortable.

Is this the one where people stand up in meetings and the guy just tears them apart and then they have that weird test you take to tell your personality type?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

I quit drinking for 5 years thanks to a harm reduction program.

AA's learned powerlessness poo poo is a really ugly brainworm when people get hung up on it, and that's the main thing a lot of people take from AA because it's really attractive when you're at your weakest.
Ok

I don't believe the powerlessness part at all either

I never even went to AA

I just think that harm reduction isn't probably going to work for a lot of alcoholics but this isn't that thread so nm :)

El Macho
Feb 10, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Is this the one where people stand up in meetings and the guy just tears them apart and then they have that weird test you take to tell your personality type?

Ya. People break down in tears regularly from what I understand.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Spinz posted:

Yeah that's the thing, isn't it? It's incredibly hard to shake the hosed up poo poo these assholes pump into your head when you're young. Even though I intellectually know that, for instance, sex isn't sinful, on a deep level intimacy still makes me uncomfortable because I grew up in an environment where people in power hammered that point into my head. I would say that I'm mostly fine these days, but I'm sure on some level I'll carry this poo poo in my head to the grave.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Man, why can't we get at least one cult that injects you with kickass mutant parasites, or one that worships a leaking nuclear reactor or something

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ChickenHeart posted:

Man, why can't we get at least one cult that injects you with kickass mutant parasites, or one that worships a leaking nuclear reactor or something

You could check out the Callisto thread that's like a Tuesday.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036484

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What up to my fellow ex jw's in the thread

Part of my recovery has been to read about other high control and cult like organizations, for some reason I just eat that stuff up. (Probably bc it makes me feel less isolated.)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I. M. Gei posted:

Here's a horrifying fact I just learned. You know how FYAD just changed its forum title?

Yeah..... turns out this is what the Children of God cult actually believes.

Imagine yourself to be trans for Jesus as you masturbate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why is the topic title not the joy of sects

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sects Education

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The only correct kind of abstinence education that should to be taught in schools instead of the traditional opposite.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Girl you gon think,
Girl you gon think,
Girl you gon think, you gon think I invented Sects

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why is the topic title not the joy of sects

There is no joy in these sects.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A 3 page long thread and we still haven't mentioned two rather well-known and infamous political cults: the LaRouche PAC and the RCP. Both, apparently, are way into recruiting young people on college campuses with left or (initially) left-sounding rhetoric (in the case of LaRouche PAC) and both are more or less just fronts for selling books. The RCP is a communist sect formed around the personality of self-exiled dissident Bob Avakian, and seems to wholly revolve around his writings. LaRouche PAC is even wilder.

I remember being in college in the mid 2000s and always seeing the LaRoucheites passing out their newsletters and tabling.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Girl you gon think,
Girl you gon think,
Girl you gon think, you gon think I invented Sects

I laugh every time I hear that song because it's like saying "yeah I know I'm really bad at this I'm the first person to ever do it"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
LaRouche is the one who thinks the queen of England secretly controls all the banks right?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah just not a good listen if you're not cool with sexual assault and people who cover it up. gently caress those guys and the guys wife who fired someone for...not being okay with it.
Wait, is there anything else that happened after the stuff with Ben? I thought the former employee who came forward to allege that everyone on LPOTL knew Ben was violent in private was taking stuff out of context because she got fired for something else, and it seemed like Henry and Natalie actually took things seriously when Ben's ex told them some of what happened to her even if she left out the physical stuff at the time, and Natalie started pushing for Ben to get kicked out of everything at that point. It's good to warn people before they listen that one of the guys that used to be on the podcast is a huge piece of poo poo, but I thought the actual ex of Ben's that came forward said she hadn't told the other hosts the full extent of what happened until she came forward publicly, and it seems weird to talk over her on the issue, but I'm not sure if my information is out of date.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

emSparkly posted:

LaRouche is the one who thinks the queen of England secretly controls all the banks right?

which is funny because its the stonecutters

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Randy Travesty posted:

I grew up in scientology. My Mom, a former actress, is out now; she got out when I was a teenager. My Dad was never in but was tolerant in the 80s and early 90s because i

You'd be shocked at how effective the brainwashing was, and still is, because they are effective at cloistering everyone away from each other. Both inside and out.

I don't enjoy talking about it much. I have nothing but PTSD and an eating disorder to show for it. Sick fuckers still send letters, people, etc., after my mom too. My parents live off grid in the middle of nowhere and still have poo poo show up.

And yeah. Step programs are cult-adjacent with a very low success ratio. Most "treatment programs" that are in any way faith-based could go under the umbrella.

Personal beliefs are fine. I don't have any truck with organized religion though.

I guess I just feel like there is so much information/awareness about their abusive practices out there now, especially with the internet being so easily accessible, that I don't understand how they could be pulling many new people in. I would also have to imagine that a lot of current members are probably at least peripherally aware of a lot of the news even if they aren't seeking it out. How they still have tax exempt status is beyond me. It's obviously a profit driven endeavor? But I guess that goes for a lot of 'religious' organizations.

Helpimscared fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

They have the Clearwater city council and the Hulkster, brother.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Spinz posted:

I personally know of many people who died or were lame or disfigured from lack of medical treatment.

I do too. Someone I know has a very bad hip and it's very sad to see them in so much pain.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Szyznyk posted:

They have the Clearwater city council and the Hulkster, brother.

Well they own most of the property in downtown Clearwater, so that checks out unfortunately.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

AA is also full of scumbag "leadership" that actively prey on and exploit people at or near their most vulnerable for financial gain and sexual gratification. They manipulate newcomers into sex so commonly, without thought, and so frequently that they call it the "13th step" and rarely see a problem with it. They shuffle people into "sober houses" that are drat near condemnable, stack them three or four to a bedroom and charge them hundreds of dollars a week and use them as labor to basically restore the homes so they can sell them.

I won't say they all do, but if you look at AA leadership in any city of appreciable size you wont have to look hard to find the ones that are doing it.

Sy Ko Monk Kee
Nov 26, 2006
Lotta AA haters out there,oh well,just die in the fetal position with no help,jerkoffs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Sy Ko Monk Kee posted:

Lotta AA haters out there,oh well,just die in the fetal position with no help,jerkoffs....

Is it really that off-base to think that you can treat alcoholism without belief in a higher power, or necessitating weird social hierarchies?