Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

redshirt posted:

It always struck me as odd that the Christian Scientists have such an amazing HQ in Boston. It's beautiful, in a brutalist way. The Mapparium is awesome.

They have a reading room in a nearby town’s Main Street, they have stuff in the windows about how great Mary Baker Eddy was but past that I’ve never seen any proselytizing. Do they just have some seriously loaded senior members?

The JWs are frequently camped outside libraries in suits looking bored, is that a part of their doctrine? looks like they are just checking a box and even if I was in the market for a religion nothing about that looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
JWs in Sweden on the street take a look at me and pretty much don’t bother, which I respect.

JWs who knock on my apartment door better hope Jehovah is on their side if they get my partner answering. I’m the nice one. He is not.

I put out a small sign on the newspaper holder in front of the door advising them and salespeople to not bother, in both Swedish and English. Noticeable difference, that’s for sure.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Helpimscared posted:

I guess I just feel like there is so much information/awareness about their abusive practices out there now, especially with the internet being so easily accessible, that I don't understand how they could be pulling many new people in. I would also have to imagine that a lot of current members are probably at least peripherally aware of a lot of the news even if they aren't seeking it out. How they still have tax exempt status is beyond me. It's obviously a profit driven endeavor? But I guess that goes for a lot of 'religious' organizations.

One of the things that kept a bunch of my mom's siblings in was sunk cost post-personality-testing. They straight up give you friends. It's all very veneered for a while. They then silo you off of media with smooth talking.

Their success rate in recruitment is higher than it should be based on the fact that they go after lonely people that aren't tech savvy that also distrust both media and government. It's sinister as poo poo.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I put an inverted pentagram sticker on our front door that reads, "Drink water, hail satan." No solicitations since.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
How about a pyramid cult founded by a guy named "Corky" which will mummify you or your pets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summum

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

tbh i wanna get my cat mummified and entombed in a sweet casket when she dies

all that other poo poo sounds weird though

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the qcs crew

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

someone posted a seminar about this on my local subreddit, which appears to be some kind of woowoo cult run by a guy who looks like a character from Blark and Son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCxPyWl2Vo

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Hey, now that I think about it I haven't had a Mormon or some Christian evangelical knock on my door in at least two decades.
I'm in Australia, does everyone else just keep putting up with that poo poo?

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

LookieLoo posted:

Hey, now that I think about it I haven't had a Mormon or some Christian evangelical knock on my door in at least two decades.
I'm in Australia, does everyone else just keep putting up with that poo poo?

Here in America, those same cults have, through largely right-wing media, created a social atmosphere wherein knocking on peoples' doors unexpectedly may be hazardous to your health. Kinda bit themselves in the rear end on this one.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

teen witch posted:

JWs in Sweden on the street take a look at me and pretty much don’t bother, which I respect.

Must be the Juggalette look. Woop Woop.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Must be the Juggalette look. Woop Woop.

I don’t think there’s a juggalo presence in Sweden. I genuinely cannot comprehend the idea of it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bet most JWs have never even witnessed Jehova

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

teen witch posted:

I don’t think there’s a juggalo presence in Sweden. I genuinely cannot comprehend the idea of it.

Yet :haibrow:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

teen witch posted:

There at least used to be
https://swedenjuggalos.tripod.com/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Please tell me they pronounce it yuggalo

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Sweden 2010 Juggalo population: 4

https://swedenjuggalos.tripod.com/shop.html

quote:

We've previously ordered Hoodies and T-shirt for the Sweden Juggalo group.

Hoodies are selling at 450 kr each, unless we order at least 15 at a time, then the price drops to 400 kr each.

T-shirts are 350 kr each, if we order 15 at a time the price drops to 300 kr each.

We always try to work on new designs for the shirts and the next one we're ordering is the gathering T-shirt, we're trying to make it so they're only 300 kr, but so far we're only 4 people that have paid for our shirts and time is running low. So hit us up if you want your very own asap.

teen witch posted:

:owned:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

teen witch posted:

be the change

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

El Macho posted:

Does anybody have experience with the Landmark Forum? It’s a self help program that ticks several cult type boxes. Long seminars where you are berated and not allowed to leave the room, forced to adopt very specific language for things, lots of pressure to purchase additional motivational materials, etc.

A former co worker of mine was pretty deep into it, and spent a fair amount of effort pestering co-workers, customers and even investors in our small engineering consultancy to join up. It was deeply uncomfortable.

I had a friend who was a member for a while but left since they're a cult/con job thing. This was like 10 years ago so I don't know about Landmark today but what I learned was basically what you described. At that time at least they intentionally had no/extremely little online presence and would draw people in on the basis of it being like a self help program. Then the locked in meetings happen where you get screamed at that everything is your fault/etc. but you can fix it just buy this Landmark pamphlet for $75!!!! It's just breaking people down to tears to get them to buy the books/whatever. My friend go
t into it because of a relative of theirs talking it up.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 27, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Helpimscared posted:

I guess I just feel like there is so much information/awareness about their abusive practices out there now, especially with the internet being so easily accessible, that I don't understand how they could be pulling many new people in. I would also have to imagine that a lot of current members are probably at least peripherally aware of a lot of the news even if they aren't seeking it out. How they still have tax exempt status is beyond me. It's obviously a profit driven endeavor? But I guess that goes for a lot of 'religious' organizations.

IIRC they have (had?) a large free luncheon once a week in Hollywood with a rotation of members in attendance. The jist of it I got was like if you're a new actor, a free good meal+you could potentially run into some major star in a casual context that actually wants to give you time (where you slowly get convinced to join over time after meeting someone) keeps people coming for awhile so they get drawn in.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

When I say it like that it feels like it’s a slur, for who, I don’t know, but it’s a bad one.

The pics are really endearing and I miss Web 1.0.

Anyway back on kvltcult poo poo, I discovered who Teal Swan is via The Deep End and her and her followers are like 5 min away from officially being a cult. She is disquieting in her narcissism.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Neo Rasa posted:

I had a friend who was a member for a while but left since they're a cult/con job thing. This was like 10 years ago so I don't know about Landmark today but what I learned was basically what you described. At that time at least they intentionally had no/extremely little online presence and would draw people in on the basis of it being like a self help program. Then the locked in meetings happen where you get screamed at that everything is your fault/etc. but you can fix it just buy this Landmark pamphlet for $75!!!! It's just breaking people down to tears to get them to buy the books/whatever. My friend go
t into it because of a relative of theirs talking it up.

My gf had a bunch of friends who were into landmark, so I had to research them pretty extensively to figure out if I should :sever: or just get her to cut contact with those friends or what. It's apparently a rebranded therapy technique from the 70s and 80s. It's definitely branded as a self-help seminar; but the seminar is 14 hours with minimal breaks, minimal water/food in order to nurture a pretty vulnerable state. A lot of the treatment does involve people opening up in front of a crowd, getting yelled at, and the instructors picking out a specific person you wronged and attempting to get you to mend bridges with them in real time. My biggest problem came from the lack of psychological training the seminar leaders had wrt people's psychological baggage and the risks that this kind of treatment might have on folks unprepared for it.

At the end of the seminar, you have to call someone you know and tell them about their miraculous breakthrough, maybe even get them to come to the landmark center right then and there to hear about it. And that's when the pyramid scheme comes in, as you're proselytizing about the experience in order to get them interested and sign up for a seminar. Later, they try to sell you on additional leadership experiences with higher price points, guilt tripped volunteering and, of course, evangelization to bring in more marksclients.

I ended up thinking it was less like a cult than any of the real cults, and just a pyramid scheme preying upon the emotionally vulnerable / self-help crew, and strongly advocated against my gf about participating in any of it. Most of the gf's friends have slowly phased out their involvement with little-to-no difficulty.

NYTimes wrote an article about it some years ago, and, yeah, it sounds pretty horrific. But far less than JH or Christian Science or some of the other examples touted here.

I'll see if I can dig up my research on it.

E: est was the thing it was based off of and has a direct line to it in terms of heritage. And EST was derived from early scientology methods, so even if the two orgs have different surface missions, same grift going on.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 28, 2023

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

the holy poopacy posted:

Lol well done

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They have a reading room in a nearby town’s Main Street, they have stuff in the windows about how great Mary Baker Eddy was but past that I’ve never seen any proselytizing. Do they just have some seriously loaded senior members?

Yes that is it^
The religion is finally totally dying off as the believers die off. This is mostly a religion of well off whites, only they could be so stupid as to deny the reality of illness.

What I have observed is they often do well physically from clean living until 60 or 70.

Then age hits and all bets are off.....

Many leave all their $ to the church.

I've seen people rot while alive with facial cancer that ate their eye and forehead. The worst one of that type was a musician who knew Bowie. I wanted to ask questions about his life but more than a sentence or two wiped him out.

Also, separately, when legs swell to a straight trunk and weep fluid death is then inevitable tho may take a few months. That's really common.

The worst death was a slim woman my age who had been beautiful, I could tell. First she spat incessantly into a wastebasket and never ate. She started to look pregnant though?

Then her room started to smell bad, no more visitors. Her laundry was so horrible with coffee grounds blood it was thrown out rather than washed. I heard a week later from a gossipy young nurse how she finally died. It took hours in her shower stall with multiple staff present, holding her upright while she choked to death on her own feces.

My guess is she had a bowel or intestinal blockage?

This is the cult of Christian Science and it blows my mind how antivaxxers are in lockstep with this kind of insanity.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Spinz posted:

This is the cult of Christian Science and it blows my mind how antivaxxers are in lockstep with this kind of insanity.

through Trump, all things are possible

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

quote:

Teal Swan has a unique ability to visually observe vibrations. In her world-renowned Synchronization workshops, she chooses an individual to come on stage whose question is most applicable to the progression of everyone present. That person will ‘light-up’ in a way that catches Teals attention. Whether you are in attendance on the day or watching the workshop at a later date, the knowledge and healing that comes through will be relevant for you. When tuned in, it is possible to perceive the energy of the group ascending throughout the day. Even if you can’t feel it you can rest assured that it is happening. The very nature of your attendance, online or in-person, means that you are a match to the shifts occurring from the questions chosen.

Apps are the new snake oil

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The JWs are frequently camped outside libraries in suits looking bored, is that a part of their doctrine? looks like they are just checking a box and even if I was in the market for a religion nothing about that looks fun.

I think I read somewhere that sending mormon youth out as missionaries is partially about letting them experience a world that is hostile to them [because they're trying to convert people], since it builds an us vs them defensiveness of the church. If they convert anyone that's nice, but galvanising the existing members has a value of its own.

Could be something like that?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Computer viking posted:

I think I read somewhere that sending mormon youth out as missionaries is partially about letting them experience a world that is hostile to them [because they're trying to convert people], since it builds an us vs them defensiveness of the church. If they convert anyone that's nice, but galvanising the existing members has a value of its own.

It's also about reinforcement, those teetering on the edge of disbelief may be moved having these truly faithful young men over to bear their testimonies. Then you might be willing to finally pay your tithing "Brother" Rick.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I get people normalizing these cults when they grew up in them, because that's all they know, but I find it surprising that people would willingly convert to JW for example.

What about that one polygamist cult in Texas that had that temple with the creepy white room and a bed and would do "spiritual marriages" and it turned out the leader was having sex with all the girls in the congregation?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Panfilo posted:

I get people normalizing these cults when they grew up in them, because that's all they know, but I find it surprising that people would willingly convert to JW for example.

What about that one polygamist cult in Texas that had that temple with the creepy white room and a bed and would do "spiritual marriages" and it turned out the leader was having sex with all the girls in the congregation?

Those were the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) one of several off-shoots of Mormons who refused to give up polygamy/incest/child rape. Their main compound is Colorado City, AZ/Hildale, UT and their "prophet", Warren Jeffs, remains behind bars for his crimes.

Yes, they are as gross as you imagine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Spinz posted:

Yes that is it^
The religion is finally totally dying off as the believers die off. This is mostly a religion of well off whites, only they could be so stupid as to deny the reality of illness.

What I have observed is they often do well physically from clean living until 60 or 70.

Then age hits and all bets are off.....

Many leave all their $ to the church.

I've seen people rot while alive with facial cancer that ate their eye and forehead. The worst one of that type was a musician who knew Bowie. I wanted to ask questions about his life but more than a sentence or two wiped him out.

Also, separately, when legs swell to a straight trunk and weep fluid death is then inevitable tho may take a few months. That's really common.

The worst death was a slim woman my age who had been beautiful, I could tell. First she spat incessantly into a wastebasket and never ate. She started to look pregnant though?

Then her room started to smell bad, no more visitors. Her laundry was so horrible with coffee grounds blood it was thrown out rather than washed. I heard a week later from a gossipy young nurse how she finally died. It took hours in her shower stall with multiple staff present, holding her upright while she choked to death on her own feces.

My guess is she had a bowel or intestinal blockage?

Holy cow I had no idea it was that bad.

Computer viking posted:

A Mormon friend in high school who’d get annoyed if anyone spoke ill of the faith had been saving for his mission trip then abruptly changed course & bought a sweet motorcycle instead. Good for him.

A super devout girl had been dating a “gentile” for a while before abruptly dumping him & going with someone in the religion. Went to their non-Mormon wedding reception where they had a photo montage playing, her former boyfriend pointed out as this new relationship had only been going for a few months the photo archive was limited & half of them were from one baseball game.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

Apps are the new snake oil

My only major sticking point with The Deep End is that they didn’t go over the woo-woo-ier aspects of Swan’s messaging, because there’s QUITE a bit and it’s predatory as hell.

Though to be fair, focusing on Swan’s personality was also a wise decision because my god, how do you see how she treats her inner circle and think “yes this is a spiritual leader that wants good for everyone.” She’s a terrifying mean girl.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Several of my family members have been watching that Twin Flame documentary and it's been a great opening to introduce them to the Final Fantasy House mythos

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I feel like flat earth people and people really into the mandela effect being time travel are cultish

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The AA talk made me search for information about evidence based alcohol cessation, and now Google's ads think I'm an alcoholic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hollismason posted:

I feel like flat earth people and people really into the mandela effect being time travel are cultish

There's gotta be some overlap of psychotic disorder and cult membership.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Here in America, those same cults have, through largely right-wing media, created a social atmosphere wherein knocking on peoples' doors unexpectedly may be hazardous to your health. Kinda bit themselves in the rear end on this one.

Yeah they don't have to go door to door anymore since they seem to control a huge amount of online content

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Hollismason posted:

Reading this too fast and my brain translated to "cuttlefish". I thought that was a pretty hosed up insult and then I reread and it became just regular post again. I'm kinda disappointed now. :smith:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

dont forget to drop a comment at https://swedenjuggalos.tripod.com/MCL.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Hollismason posted:

time travel are cuttlefish

Sounds like the basis for an educational/wildlife conservation cult that's a fun weekend for the whole family.