Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
If you’re having trouble determining whether a specific organisation is a cult, this criteria is a decent place to start https://freedomofmind.com/cult-mind-control/bite-model/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
https://freedomofmind.com/resource-links/podcast/

Good podcast about cults too on the same website, they have stuff about the Jehovah’s Witnesses on there. The associated book Combating Cult Mind Control is a really useful resource for unfucking your mind from cult manipulation as well.. It’s a bigger social problem than most people think

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 26, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
https://orangepapers.eth.limo/

Great website about AA’s cult credentials.

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 26, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
It’s got some helpful info for people trying to leave.. it’s obviously not for people who like it. AA can really gently caress you up if you’re vulnerable to it

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

redshirt posted:

Worse than alcoholism?

Yeah.. it makes a lot of people’s drinking much worse

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Theres a pretty wide range of good, evidence-based treatments for heavy drinking these days. Most of them have better success rates than AA’s 5%. It’s a false dichotomy to imagine the only choices are continued heavy drinking and AA.

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

BigHead posted:

There are recovery threads in E/N and in TCC that are happy to be there for you and with you. If you have a problem feel free to reach out to me or any of the other sober guys in those threads.

e: Misunderstood what you were saying, apologies. As I understood it you were steppers tho in the TCC thread. Which is just AA really isn’t it come on now. Sneaky bit of recruiting.. Anyway if it’s relevant to anyone reading this there’s more help out there than meetings, steps etc and more perspectives than the disease model. I’m out of this thread anyway I’ve had enough of my time wasted on that cult

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 26, 2023