Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You're definition of cult is too broad to go by. By your definition all 12 step programs are cults and so are the Shriners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I would definitely call AA a cult adjacent organization.

Eh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nyan Bread posted:

Sounds like the amount of culty really depends on the particular Alcoholics Anonymous group. Especially the people who run it, if they're hella fundy or not? Hoping to hear more experiences.

Every AA group like individual meetings makes their own rules based on group conscious usually however sometimes there are AA meetings where just like one guy runs the meeting and doesn't listen to anyone. There's no like AA structure beyond like service offices that basically organize a listing of meetings in the area and do outreach programs.

Its why you can have groups that are like "We're doing the Lords Prayer at the end of our meeting" and groups that are like "We do the Serenity Prayer at a our meeting".

Its basically a direct democracy organization. There's no AA leader and there's no one to say "meetings have to be run like this". Meetings generally are run by the members who vote on how the meeting is going to be run.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 26, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

https://orangepapers.eth.limo/

Great website about AA’s cult credentials.

LMAO at that website goddamn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Yeah.. it makes a lot of people’s drinking much worse

Seriously doubt that . The problem AA has is its that its all seat of your pants everyone kind of decides their own way. Just because one person has a bad experience with a sponsor doesn't paint the whole organization. Its a giant anarchist organization anyway.

AA may be really Christian in some areas then in others not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

El Macho posted:

Does anybody have experience with the Landmark Forum? It’s a self help program that ticks several cult type boxes. Long seminars where you are berated and not allowed to leave the room, forced to adopt very specific language for things, lots of pressure to purchase additional motivational materials, etc.

A former co worker of mine was pretty deep into it, and spent a fair amount of effort pestering co-workers, customers and even investors in our small engineering consultancy to join up. It was deeply uncomfortable.

Is this the one where people stand up in meetings and the guy just tears them apart and then they have that weird test you take to tell your personality type?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I feel like flat earth people and people really into the mandela effect being time travel are cultish

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have a friend who sent me some link to one of those personality tests for eclectic energies enneagram test. I'm pretty sure that's some sort of scam cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Turpitude posted:

I have had two friends who did the Landmark Forum thing, at some point in the long-rear end session they are told to call all their friends and tell them how much they love and appreciate them and apologize for all their sins. It came off as both kind of sweet and unhinged, I think the first friend of mine who did it realized that going to raves was way better and the other one had a mental breakdown in Israel believing he was the new messiah and they shipped him home, lol

Weirdly that is a not uncommon disorder people experience in Israel. It even has a name