Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I won't delve any further since we have a dedicated thread for it, but the MAGA cult is a hell of a thing. If you'd call it a cult. If not, I'm not sure how else to define it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Honestly, joining a cult sounds loving exhausting. Anybody know of any good ones that don't take a lot of commitment?

Become a Trekkie!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Would you count Fraternities as cults? I infiltrated several and learned their secret handshake and other stuff.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xlorp posted:

What kind of behavior did they consider off-limits?

I'd guess the only thing would be revealing Frat secrets. Like the secret skeleton.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

AA is kind of a step above other cults because there's no specific deity you need to worship, you have to find "your god" but that can be yourself, or movies, or art or whatever. It's just about finding one thing in your life and putting a lot of importance on it, and using it as a reason not to relapse.

There might be some hella culty AA groups that make you worship a specific god though.

One could argue that using some cult like techniques might be helpful in dealing with addiction or other issues. Within reason of course.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

This has somehow dredged up a bunch of memories that I was forced into christian "counseling"/"therapy" all it did was make me try to harm myself more.

Amazingly, once I got away from my "family" and religion, almost all my problems magically went away. Almost.

Hell yeah brother. Glad to hear it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It’s got some helpful info for people trying to leave.. it’s obviously not for people who like it. AA can really gently caress you up if you’re vulnerable to it

Worse than alcoholism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It always struck me as odd that the Christian Scientists have such an amazing HQ in Boston. It's beautiful, in a brutalist way. The Mapparium is awesome.